Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC: classic Motorhead lineup is reunited

tommy p

"Say What You Will" but TDC.

Hamerica

Quite an inner circle this band has been. Anyone knows the background on his pneumonia? 

No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith is arguably the definitive British hard rock/metal album. Lemmy was delighted that it was compared to the MC5's first album (also live). I've got the CD w/ the extra tracks from an EP (IIRC) called The Golden Years (IIRC). Great guitar tones, bass tones, riffs, etc. Gets more time in the CD player than any other Motorhead album.

3 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith is arguably the definitive British hard rock/metal album. Lemmy was delighted that it was compared to the MC5's first album (also live). I've got the CD w/ the extra tracks from an EP (IIRC) called The Golden Years (IIRC). Great guitar tones, bass tones, riffs, etc. Gets more time in the CD player than any other Motorhead album.

No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith is arguably the definitive British hard rock/metal album.

Thank you Willie!

10 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I've got the CD w/ the extra tracks from an EP (IIRC) called The Golden Years (IIRC).

Imho, Deadmen Tell No Tales from that EP is the definitive Motorhead track.  They were just on fire.

RIP, Eddie.

He is one of the innovators who truly worked simple, RnR riffs into punk/speed/metal. He always played for the song. Like he said, " a band is a team effort."

Saw Motorhead BITD, opening for Maiden/Saxon, etc. and they always blew doors. Eddie never showed off his chops, never tried to compete with his "shredder" contemporaries and always sounded huge.

He was (and still is) underappreciated in his time. To me, he is one of the greats along the lines of Mick Ralphs, Paul Kossoff, Mick Ronson, et al.

R.I.P...  Thought he did a great job putting together Fastway in a short amount of time... 

Pete Way was tied up with record company troubles with Chrysalis and got freaked out and

stopped showing up to practice... which he totally regretted but that's Pete for ya.    Those

albums are pretty good,  

Lemmy  some of those albums he put out in the post eddie period. 1916, orgasmatron,. rock and

roll are very solid. Another Perfect Day has some good tunes,  although probably not what you'd

consider classic motorhead.     

What kind of setup did Clarke use on "Stone Dead Forever" (studio version as well as live version on The Golden Years)? I always thought the lead guitars breaks had a very unique and memorable tone--forceful but not too brittle, yet not too thick (like a Les Paul); sort of a "tonally hollow" sound for lack of a better term. Lemmy's bass obviously enhanced both versions of that song, as well, IMO.

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

What kind of setup did Clarke use on "Stone Dead Forever" (studio version as well as live version on The Golden Years)? I always thought the lead guitars breaks had a very unique and memorable tone--forceful but not too brittle, yet not too thick (like a Les Paul); sort of a "tonally hollow" sound for lack of a better term....

I don't know the answer to your question, but this is the internet, so I can reply without knowledge.  Whenever I think of "tonally hollow" electric guitar sounds, I think "out of phase pickups".

Sounds like a neck pup to me.   He normally used a HB-bridge loaded Strat, but that doesn't sound like a SC pup.  From the cover of the EP you can see the edge of an LP.  Found a full pic of it (on pinterest but can't seem to link to it).  Looks kind of like a stripped LP Deluxe with mini bucker in bridge but some blade pup in the neck.

5 hours ago, DaveL said:

R.I.P...  Thought he did a great job putting together Fastway in a short amount of time... 

Pete Way was tied up with record company troubles with Chrysalis and got freaked out and

stopped showing up to practice... which he totally regretted but that's Pete for ya.    Those

albums are pretty good,  

Lemmy  some of those albums he put out in the post eddie period. 1916, orgasmatron,. rock and

roll are very solid. Another Perfect Day has some good tunes,  although probably not what you'd

consider classic motorhead.     

I totally agree that Another Perfect Day is not "classic" Mötörhead but it IS my personal favorite of theirs.  Lately I've seen a surprising number of people who agree.  For a while there, it was every Mötörhead fan's least favorite.

However, to me, the Fast Eddie era is the only classic Mötörhead.  I also agree that after the APD anomaly, the next 3 albums were pretty strong, especially 1916, but after that they pretty much went the way of so many of my favorite bands.  I looked forward with great hope to each new release but got 2-3 good songs and a pile of not-so-good songs.

I'm glad I got to see Fast Eddie a couple of times in Fastway, and Mötörhead once with the two guitar lineup which reminds me... I need to find a good pic of me and my cat, Würzel, for the BFF thread.

Just to clarify the "tonally hollow" term, I was thinking it had an odd-and-listenable type of resonance.

And it's funny: I knew who Motorhead was thanks to Creem magazine, which lampooned them a couple of times during the Clarke era, but for all of the classic stuff associated w/ Clarke,  the first song of theirs I heard (and saw) was "One Track Mind" (from Another Perfect Day), a performance video on MTV. Among the rarer CDs I've got is a bootleg/unauthorized release of a concert with Robbo on guitar recorded in Sheffield, England in '83.

IMO, while the band may have, er, actually matured over the decades, the "best collection of great riffs on one album" (vs. "classic albums"--IMO there can be a difference) may well have been what was heard on Bastards (except that gawdawful rumination on incest). Again, YMMV.

Archived