Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
LordsoftheJungle

Robin Savoys?

I'm considering this offering up on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/2428337-robin-savoy-deluxe-custom-2002-blonde

I've owned Robins before and liked them, though I've never tried a Savoy or any hollow/semi-hollows from them,,,, does anybody have some advice or experience with Savoys? Also, it is in France right now, do I need to know something about the whole CITES thing?  Thx!

zrryobp6legvvlcop6dw.jpg

Edited by LordsoftheJungle
  • Like 1

That is lovely. Sort of a Monaco III with a bit more "sass" or at least scarcity factor.

I had one Savoy a long time ago, but not hollow. No issues to be unhappy about.

I would personally probably NOT do it. The price seems fair enough. And you should be well protected with Reverb. BUT.....You are dealing with a seller who has one rating as a buyer. And that CITES thing can be a bugger. There is almost certainly no documentation on the rosewood, even though the age of the guitar predates all the newer rules.. ODDS are there would be no problems. But if you happen to get a zealous customs person, it MIGHT get hung up for an extended period. Also possible they simply confiscate it. I think that is remote, but......

FWIW, I bought a new guitar from Germany, back before the newest CITES rules were in place. It came with full documentation of the (BRW) board. Even so, it sat on some bureaucrats desk for several weeks waiting to be "cleared" for export. I would just as soon NOT repeat the experience.

• Like 2

This one's been on this forum before but here 'tis again: The thing about Savoys is they're semi-hollow like a Mosrite Maphis; block is chambered/hollowed out leaving a 4" strip in the middle then the cap is put on top.

Only Savoy (or Avalon, the smaller solid variant) ordered with a maple fretboard. BOdy and neck are natural mahogany.

I had another one, also custom-ordered w/ an all-ash body that I sold to finance this one.

Neck profile ordered was to be "...as found on ca. '63 ES-335s or maybe SG Jrs.", and this one fit that category perfectly.

Ergonomics are really comfortable, and that's what sold me on the model to start w/, when I ordered the ash example.

Builder Dave Wintz is as passionate and dedicated about building innovative guitars as anyone.

LO-Savoy.jpg

• Like 2

I imported at least 15 guitars from Japan in the last year with rosewood boards without a sniff of a problem from Customs or Dept of Fish & Wildlife concerning CITES. I'm also aware of many other people in the US and abroad with the same experience. I have yet to hear of any confiscation horror stories from anyone. However, my experience means absolutely nothing, just because I haven't heard of or had any issues doesn't mean that it hasn't or couldn't happened. 

That being said, I've decided I've tempted fate long enough and will not be bringing any more rosewood boarded guitars into the country. Nothing has happened to make me feel this way. I just think that, at some point, some unlucky soul is going to have a guitar confiscated or returned. I don't want it to be me.

Edited by currypowder
  • Like 1

I have a guitar (different one) where the original owner shipped a very nice piece of Brazilian Rosewood to Germany (from the USA). There, it was bookmatched and turned into a nice carved top. Shipped back to the USA (NOT marked as to what it was). This was all before the latest crackdown, though BRW was still an issue then. He was sweating bullets, but it flew under the radar.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info,,, as a 3 time owner of the Monaco III model I'm pretty sure I'll like this guitar too, especially with those JazzBar/BluesBar pickups installed. I asked the seller if he was prepared and confident about the CITES requirements and he said he's aware of the CITES but he's new to the process, he thinks he needs to get a certificate for re-exportation. I certainly don't "need" this guitar so precaution will probably win out and I won't buy it,,, sure looks nice though!

While I've been comfortable accepting the CITES risk on guitars I've purchased, no way would I ship one without the proper paperwork. I'm sure I'm rationalizing, but in my mind the shipper accepts far more risk should something go wrong.

If you REALLY want a Robin Savoy, I know a guy locally who owns the largest collection of Robin guitars in the world.

He literally has hundreds upon hundreds of Robins.

I'm not really sure how many Savoy's he's got, but I know he's got quite a few of them

I know he'd be willing to sell one of them for the right price.

He lives here in North Padre Island here in Texas.

PM if you'd like to get in contact with him, and I'll give you his number.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

If you REALLY want a Robin Savoy, I know a guy locally who owns the largest collection of Robin guitars in the world.

I'm not really sure how many Savoy's he's got, but I know he's got quite a few of them

I know he'd be willing to sell one of them for the right price.

He lives here in North Padre Island here in Texas.

PM if you'd like to get in contact with him, and I'll give you his number.

Thx,,, one of the main things I like about this Savoy is the triple P90s with the custom JazzBars/BluesBar already installed. More than likely he won't have that in his warehouse.

15 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

So that's where they all are?
I know a couple of guys with a couple/few dozen Robins (the late Ken Jones being one of them), but "hundreds upon hundreds" sounds like a slight exaggeration (sorry to be M. Literal).

58 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Thx,,, one of the main things I like about this Savoy is the triple P90s with the custom JazzBars/BluesBar already installed. More than likely he won't have that in his warehouse.

You never know.  There are quite a few of them like that.

SK%20NF.jpg

SK%20OF%20MAX.jpg

skmb-max.jpg

SKMGLARGE.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

So that's where they all are?
I know a couple of guys with a couple/few dozen Robins (the late Ken Jones being one of them), but "hundreds upon hundreds" sounds like a slight exaggeration (sorry to be M. Literal).

You never know.  There are quite a few of them like that.

SK%20NF.jpg

SK%20OF%20MAX.jpg

skmb-max.jpg

SKMGLARGE.jpg

Nice! I tried Googling three p90 Savoys and got nothing,,, must be doing something wrong. 

52 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Nice! I tried Googling three p90 Savoys and got nothing,,, must be doing something wrong. 

Those are straight from the robinguitars.com website.  

• Like 1

The Savoys are really underrated and overlooked.  I play this one over my Gibby 335 Dot because it just sounds so good.  Pictured here with the matching Kizanski Avalon (both with Dolphin inlays).  

AvnbQ8q.jpg

Edited by The Shark
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Shark said:

The Savoys are really underrated and overlooked.  I play this one over my Gibby 335 Dot because it just sounds so good.  Pictured here with the matching Kizanski Avalon (both with Dolphin inlays).  

AvnbQ8q.jpg

Wow,,, Gorgeous! suddenly the one I was looking at seems kinda pedestrian.