Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Irrationalities

LucSulla

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Resale is a major concern.  I think it would be really fun to by some Warmoth parts and build something, but then I know I'm kind stuck with it from then on.  The other thing is I know jack shit about who makes good necks.  I know Warmoth isn't the only game in town, but I wouldn't know where else to look.

https://musikraft.com/index.php  Because Enabling-Я-Us.  Also, people like the Allparts necks, at least for -caster applications.

If I were rational I wouldn't play in a band.

If I were sensible, I'd buy a Mexican Tele and not ever have GAS, 'cos it does what an electric guitar should

If I were lucid, I'd have a couple players and once nice "'cos it's sexy" guitar as an indulgence

I have 11 guitars.

12 hours ago, polara said:

If I were rational I wouldn't play in a band.

If I were sensible, I'd buy a Mexican Tele and not ever have GAS, 'cos it does what an electric guitar should

If I were lucid, I'd have a couple players and once nice "'cos it's sexy" guitar as an indulgence

I have 11 guitars.

I have a few players and a really nice guitar.   That kind of thinking is overrated.

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, HAMERMAN said:

I get it - this model has always caught my eye, it's even available lefty so the only thing stopping me is the price:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/all/usa-signature-phil-collen-pc1-satin-trans-blue

I prefer the older look where the fretboard wasn't "carmelized":

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/96709-Pics-of-my-Jackson-PC-1-in-Chlorine

I'm kind of thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.  I'm really finding my bolt-on, 25.5" stuff is getting all the love as of late.  Thank goodness I got my Shishkov in that scale length, because I have three Gibsons I'm seriously considering moving on down the road as I'm just pretty meh on them these days. 

I guess I'm turning into Diablo.  I also am curious is if the reason a lot of us don't start drifting that way as, to my ear at least, that scale really shines with less gain on the amp.  And as the gain comes down, a lot more of a guitar's actual personality starts coming out.  While I can't imagine I'd sell my two Lesters, I'm starting the find HH, Gibby scale guitars in general to just not be as fun to play or as responsive.  

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I'm kind of thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.  I'm really finding my bolt-on, 25.5" stuff is getting all the love as of late.  Thank goodness I got my Shishkov in that scale length, because I have three Gibsons I'm seriously considering moving on down the road as I'm just pretty meh on them these days. 

I guess I'm turning into Diablo.  I also am curious is if the reason a lot of us don't start drifting that way as, to my ear at least, that scale really shines with less gain on the amp.  And as the gain comes down, a lot more of a guitar's actual personality starts coming out.  While I can't imagine I'd sell my two Lesters, I'm starting the find HH, Gibby scale guitars in general to just not be as fun to play or as responsive.  

It is funny how we evolve....For years I thought I could not play a longer scale guitar.....part of the reason I never (for a long time) found a Strat or Tele that would stick around for long. A 25" scale (like PRS and some others) KINDA worked. But about 6 -7 years ago I found a long scale that has been in first place ever since. (It is HH, but splits beautifully). Makes me wonder why I bother thinking in terms of finding something I MIGHT like even better. All the Gibsons are gone, but I still do have some 24.5-24.75" scales. It is not that I CANNOT play them.....In some ways, they are easier, esp stretching for chords closer to the nut. But I play as little as possible in the "cowboy chord" positions, that is less an issue.

Nothing WRONG with them, but I can just pull out so much more "personality" from the 25.5" platform. Does not mean I have abandoned Hamers, though the one that gets the most love anymore is the longer scaled SuperPro variant. And, increasingly, even with the longer scale, I am going up to a string set of 11s....Notwithstanding my seeming inability to play without a lot of bending.

4 hours ago, LucSulla said:

While I can't imagine I'd sell my two Lesters, I'm starting the find HH, Gibby scale guitars in general to just not be as fun to play or as responsive.  

SG with P90s is about as fun and responsive as it gets for me in a short scale.

Archived