Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The 'new' Gibson Flying V at CES

Tortious

It's like 1958 all over again. Henry is so far ahead of the curve it could be a sales disaster just like the originals, but he has the sack to forge ahead, naysayers be damned. Years from now, heated arguments over which batches of Richlite® had the best tonal qualities will ensue. The real answer: they all do.  :blink::ph34r:

Modern-Flying-V-.jpg

25016092_387186661721678_337596984943496

2nd one is from Gibson Custom instagram account. Some of the comments are gold:

zackflagI wonder how many of those have uneven frets. My guess is all of them

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcX9-Oyn32A/

7 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Meh. Jackson's got 'em beat: Uglier than sin Roswell.

image.png

Was going to reply in my best David Spade voice, "I liked it better the first time.... when it was called the Jackson Roswell."

Ok, ok, so maybe you're thinking 'I'm just not man enough for that V', well benevolent Henry cares about you just the same.

26167352_1782464891765651_31767196552353

These Gibson Custom Semi-Hollow Modern Double Cuts are sure to raise some eyebrows! It's our first 24-fret semi-hollowbody, and it features the Apex headstock, swept neck heel and carved solid woods throughout. At the same price as our Modern Double Cut Standard, it's also a tremendous value. :lol: Available in the four pearlescent colors shown (and customizable through Made 2 Measure). Contact your Gibson Custom dealer for more info! #gibsoncustom #moderndoublecut

https://www.facebook.com/GibsonCustom/photos/a.279380565407432.77888.269428026402686/1782464891765651/?type=3&theater

"These Gibson Custom Semi-Hollow Modern Double Cuts are sure to raise some eyebrows!"  No, they'd more likely bring up my last previously consumed meal.

I actually liked the Jackson Roswells when they originally came out, and they still have an appeal to me...but after seeing that new Gibson V, I'd be surprised if Fender/Jackson hasn't already started lawyering up about the 'resemblance'.  Edited to add:  If Henry gets a 'cease and desist' order about them, he could always have them re-cut into Corvuses (Corvii?)...or better yet, into reverse Corvuses.

Just now, bruce919 said:

Ditch the giant pickguard , would like to try one out. people thought the org. V were ugly too. Time will tell this story.

You're not allowed to weigh in on this topic.
You bought one of these.

gibson-reverse-flying-v.jpg?itok=SZT-kuc

Is it fair to blame it all on just Henry?  Someone designs these things and probably 2-3 other people look at them and approve them before Henry even sees them.  There must be many layers of 'fail' happening at Gibson right now.

That Flying A fuckstick would have been better served and received if they would have re-tooled it and marketed it as an electric thrash cello, because the only way it's comfy is to wedge it straight into your seated crotch Excalibur style. A friend bought one in 2011 for practically "pocket change" because that's all anyone was willing to pay its owner for it, and he let me test-drive it to get my feedback. I told him I would have gotten more satisfaction putting that pocket change in soda and vending machines.

What?? No robot tuners? Whaaaaa...

I think lots of Gibson's new designs look quite ridiculous. If someone likes them, nice. There are some Gibson's I like, even some like the original 70's RD Artist that generally always gets a bad rap, but even the new RD Artist Bass looks ridiculous with all those knobs. Gibson acts like "give the customers what they don't want". That said, I have always been into Fender stuff, but what they come up with at NAMM is so... "uninteresting" to me, to say it nicely. How uninspired can one be? Those mishmash guitars look aesthetically so unpleasing to the eye, as does that model called Meteora. It is not that EBMM's Big Al Bass or St. Vincent guitar look cool, they're ugly too, but they offer interesting electronics (different to other EBMM models, in case of the St. Vincent model, I might prefer the 2018 Gibson Firebird Elite though).

Don't get me wrong, they are ugly as hell, but Gibson is in a weird position.  Try anything new, and everyone hates it.  Keep doing the same thing, and everyone hates it. 

At this point, how many SGd and Lesters can they really keep selling, plus, who would buy a new one these days with so many deals on used guitars?  Let someone else do all the vetting, pay retail, and pay for any other finish-up work was needed.  There are a slew of solid SGs to be had for under $1k and Lesters under $2k.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson's strongest competition was Gibson these days at all. 

You may not be seeing a bad idea as much as something born from flailing in panic. 

7 hours ago, tommy p said:

Is it fair to blame it all on just Henry?  Someone designs these things and probably 2-3 other people look at them and approve them before Henry even sees them.  There must be many layers of 'fail' happening at Gibson right now.

I dunno... Doesn't he have final say?

1 minute ago, LucSulla said:

Don't get me wrong, they are ugly as hell, but Gibson is in a weird position.  Try anything new, and everyone hates it.  Keep doing the same thing, and everyone hates it. 

At this point, how many SGd and Lesters can they really keep selling, plus, who would buy a new one these days with so many deals on used guitars?  Let someone else do all the vetting, pay retail, and pay for any other finish-up work was needed.  There are a slew of solid SGs to be had for under $1k and Lesters under $2k.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson's strongest competition was Gibson these days at all. 

You may not be seeing a bad idea as much as something born from flailing in panic. 

I remember when they came up with models like Marauder, S-3 (bolt-on maple necks, new single coil pickups designed by Bill Lawrence), RD (all maple design, 25.5" scale on guitars, 34.5" on bass, active electronics), L6 (24 frets), Ex2 and V2 (V-shaped single coil pickups, maple/walnut sandwich bodies and necks), Grabber and G-3 basses, some of those did look ugly by design, yet offered something new (to Gibson's model line). Nowadays, they make the full mahogany construction, 24.75" scale, 2 HB guitar in different body shapes. Then at least give us a decent body shape. With all the CNC routing these days, it is not even hard to put fancy inlay work to the instruments.

Archived