Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Is that a PRS?" I think this turned into a rant.

LucSulla

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

For the record, I want a PRS with an opaque finish or clear maple just to make the 10 top people cringe. 

They make plenty of those, but what I want to see is one with a 10 Top underneath and a worn opaque/neon finish on the top.  THAT would make most people cringe!

15 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

They make plenty of those, but what I want to see is one with a 10 Top underneath and a worn opaque/neon finish on the top.  THAT would make most people cringe!

So, anybody want to wager when PRS will cave in to the 'relic'd' crowd?  Or will 'eye candy' prevail?

I treat all of the,  "Is that a...", or worse,  "Why don't you have a ..." the same way.   I say those are great guitars and compliment the person on their taste. Then I say,  "I've had one before (or a few,  chances are really good that i have...)  For me, this is simply a much better guitar. "

The person feels smart because I  complimented them,  and they really can't argue about what a better guitar is *for me*, so the conversation is pretty much over. Unless they're drunk or belligerent,  then I fake a nose bleed. 

I don't mind debating what makes a good guitar, but not at a gig. I'm just not in that frame of mind at that time...

Same.  On those really rare occasions that somebody has come up to chat about gear, I know I've got Les Pauls and a vintage PRS at home.  Those guitars simply didn't make the cut for the gig.

5 hours ago, 0054 said:

My mother, with three young childre,. Renault dauphin, then a much more practical Alfa Romeo spyder 

Mrs. Toadroller, with our six kids, our minivan, and her S4 4.2 6 speed manual.  Pull-me-over-red.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

BCR music has one right now. They need to have the natural body binding look cool, so they need to use the flamed top. Why they don't just use a veneer for that is beyond me, but then I guess people couldn't say they had a ten top.

I believe this thread defines the Hamer experience.

This is no different than the people continually ask me what kind of camera i used to take my photographs and then can't comprehend that I used a "just a pocket camera".   My photographs look better than theirs do and they know it must be because I used a better camera.  Or the smug looks and condescending comments I get from other photographers out in the field who are lugging a bag of giant Nikon or Canon cameras and lenses that likely cost more than my car.  I simply do not need their affirmation to feel good about myself.  If pressed I will occasionally say that is like reading a wonderful novel and then asking the author what brand of typewriter  he used to write it.

I was drawn to Hamer because they made beautiful sounding and beautifully constructed guitars for a fair price.  I never really considered the possibility of it being considered less than another brand.  I can see now, twelve years into  the  Hamer thing,  that most Hamer owners have to be maybe more open minded and comfortable with themselves on average.  That is likely why this is the nicest group of people in a forum that I have ever come upon.

I don't remember who said a truly strong man doesn't need to show he is strong, or, a smart man doesn't need to tell people he is smart.  I do remember, and very much appreciated, when George Burns playing God tells  his wavering messenger, John Denver, that "you will have the strength that comes from knowing".

2 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Mrs. Toadroller, with our six kids, our minivan, and her S4 4.2 6 speed manual.  Pull-me-over-red.

Cool on Mrs Toadroller.  15 years ago I had an S4 3.6 twin turbo wagon with a 6 speed manual. 

10 hours ago, crunchee said:

So, anybody want to wager when PRS will cave in to the 'relic'd' crowd?  Or will 'eye candy' prevail?

Paul has talked about it for years - he says he has no interest because a relic'd guitar doesn't tell your story.

Next time, tell him you would love to get a PRS with a tent top, but you are not sure if you want a wigwam or teepee. See if that makes him two tents.

Didn't PRS finally cave to the Nitrocellulose crowd some years back? I don't understand that. Yes, I want a finish on my guitar that will slowly release toxic vapors that damage my guitar.

7 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Didn't PRS finally cave to the Nitrocellulose crowd some years back? I don't understand that. Yes, I want a finish on my guitar that will slowly release toxic vapors that damage my guitar.

I would love to study practice time vs. various brands.  Honestly, if I could get a good sample, I would actually do it because it isn't totally out of bounds for my field.  

I have a hunch that there is an inverse correlation between practice time and importance placed on the tonal impacts of nitro vs. poly.  

This has been posted here before, but it is still one of my favorite rebuttals of "but muh tonez!"

Archived