Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Let’s talk imports! Your preferred ones? Brands, models and countries you favor?

zorrow

I’ve played excellent import guitars from Epiphone, PRS, Hamer, Dean, Hoyer...

I’ve always been impressed by the quality of the good old Hamer Slammer Series from the 90’s.They were made in Korea and they were great. I sadly don’t own any of those anymore. 

Also, the Czech-made Deans were the real deal —perhaps the most awesome of all the imports I’ve ever played. Also from the early 90’s.

Any preferences (models, brands, country of manufacturing, époque...) you might want to share with us here? Any stories? Pictures? :)

A late '70s Ibanez Artist double-cutaway. One of their first original styles following the "copy"/"lawsuit" period. IIRC it had hold hardware, abalone pearl neck inlay and body binding, ash body, and a half-and-half (artificial + brass) nut. Great ergonomics, as well.

31 minutes ago, zorrow said:

Also, the Czech-made Deans were the real deal —perhaps the most awesome of all the imports I’ve ever played. Also from the early 90’s.

I have never encountered a Slammer, but I have only heard good things about them. But I will go along with the Czech Deans, I have a korina V and it's awesome! It is one of the most resonant guitars I own... At first it was kind of freaky how it resonated through the strap and into my shoulder bones!

I have some Slammer Series - which are different from the Slammer by Hamer guitars - and they are decent quality, for sure.  I have an SE PRS Santana model, and that's just a nice guitar, after a much-needed setup.  From everything I have heard, the G&L Tribute series are also consistently good imports, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying one out.

Ive had 2 Korean schecters I loved.  A lot of schecters came with a great setup and good hardware.  Still have one it is usually the guitar I drag to most gigs.  I Put an old jb  in the bridge and this one screams.    Problem is so many of their models look ridiculous to me   Ive stumbled on both of mine in used music stores    

This is one I have definitely cops an sg look, but more of a les paul special or studio sound and feel  

IMG_1418.JPG

I've played a LOT of imports over the years- Ibanez, Dean, BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel, Hamer, Schecter, ESP, Kramer, PRS, Epiphone, Squier, Fender etc. The usual hit/miss ratio stats apply. Some really stood out including my two current (and only) imports in the harem: The Charvel Limited Edition DK24 Super Stock, built in Mexico. It's so damned good I bought a second one! :wub:  The oiled necks are superbly comfy and fast and after a few of my SOP mods, this ax will be a monster player!! The below pictured is pre-mod.

image.png

I've got a few.  Hamer Slammer series pictured under my name.  Plays well.  I have a PRS custom 24 Floyd from a few years ago.  Also plays very well.  Not too long ago I picked up one of the Schecter Korean Super Strats.  Came with new EMG model pickups for that guitar.  Again, plays really well.   No complaints.   I also picked up an Indonesian XT series Monaco for almost nothing for some electronics experiments.  It came to me in great shape with great fretwork, but the Korean model feels a little better.  

Had a Korean Washburn Idol that was pretty good. 

I really like Eastman, made in China. 

Definitley a fan of many Japanese guitars I’ve played, Gretsch and Fender Japan, most notably.

My Ibanez GB-10 (George Benson) is probably the guitar I have owned the longest. The originals (MIJ) are great. I later played one made, I believe, in Korea. Also a good guitar, but it suffered next to the original. Still,  for half the price, I thought it was a good value.

I’ve been favorably impressed with the consistent quality of Reverend guitars. Made in Korea. Cool designs and funky concepts. Not my cuppa but good stuff.  My son just bought a Chinese made Squire Jazz Bass. Way better built than I expected to see. Great quality to dollar value.

1 minute ago, HamerDave said:

I’ve been favorably impressed with the consistent quality of Reverend guitars. Made in Korea. Cool designs and funky concepts.

Beat me to it by a few seconds. They used to be American made (in Eastpointe MI, right around where I grew up) but the current line is quite good. My Jetstream HB is a fine guitar.

342fdfb82e31ccf8f93841d66519b67a_zps09ca00c4.jpg

df9663a1f0971fc4f608444cd51e16e5_zps9aa103ae.jpg

without trying I find myself gigging all Ibanez these days, my Prestige RGA121 is the best guitar I've owned (it's at Stikes right now getting a facelift).

also had good luck w/ slammer series & MIM fenders. never owned one but every PRS SE I've played felt nice.

Ibbys 11-17.JPG

54 minutes ago, Brooks said:

without trying I find myself gigging all Ibanez these days, my Prestige RGA121 is the best guitar I've owned (it's at Stikes right now getting a facelift).

also had good luck w/ slammer series & MIM fenders. never owned one but every PRS SE I've played felt nice.

Ibbys 11-17.JPG

Brooks, what are the other two models?

1 hour ago, Brooks said:

also had good luck with MIM fenders.

Ibbys 11-17.JPG

Totally forgot about the “Taco Casters”   I have a MIM Deluxe Players Strat that’s off the chain. Replaced the pickups and electronics but the construction is awesome.

Late 70's/early 80's Grecos

Yamaha (Japan) SG-series, any decade.

Late 70's/mid 80's Ibanez set necks, archtops and semi-hollows.

Navigator (ANY era)

80's ESP shredders (Japan)

FGN/Fuji Gen. I've only tried one, the LP Custom clone I got from currypowder. 

High-end Tokai (Love Rocks, etc.)

70s Takmine/Yamaha/Alvarez-Yairi acoustics. 

12 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Thanks for that! OK, I’ll add Huber, & Fibenare to my list! That’s of course unless the topic was supposed to be “favorite BUDGET imports. :lol:

Echo dat..... Add Hartung, please. There are a couple other high end imports that are highly regarded,  but I have not, yet, gone down that rabbit hole......

Hmmm. The word import I think means a guitar whose parent company is American, but who produce a cheaper range elsewhere (Mexico, Korea etc). Ergo, IMO, Ibanez, Yamaha, Yiari and Tokai are Japanese and made in Japan so I wouldn't rank them as imports (although customs will disagree). Epiphone, Squire, Hamer Slammer, BC Rich Platinum series etc etc all count. Anyway, I have a Mexican strat with the fastest neck I have ever had and I am proud to say I've had American BC Riches, American Hamers, and other quality guitars known for speed playing. However, the pickups on my strat are pretty crappy and feedback to eaorly. But the guitar has a pucka Floyd on it.

There you go, let the abuse begin.

Both my Reverend Pete Anderson Model and my Eastman Ray Benson Model guitars are fantastic examples of quality instruments not made in America. They are well made and play & sound as good as any of American made guitars. 

IMG_0208.JPG

Archived