Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Grammy Material. I don't see it.

Saw this kid, Khalid, on the news this morning. Seems like a great kid and I was hoping I'd like his music. It sucks. He's an instant success just two years out of high school. Nominated for five Grammy awards. I wish him all the success I'm just wondering who has the shit taste, me or everyone else because I would not be blasting this from the car.

It's not my thing, but from the comments I expected much worse.  This is far more listenable than most of what I hear coming out of the "urban" scene.  The lyrics reflect a lack of life experience (he's 19), but at least he's actually singing.  If I had kids playing this around the house I could easily tolerate it.

I like the 67 Camaro. 

I don't much care for modern hip hop.  The trap elements are overused and not creative, and trying to sound like you are on xanax and other pills, what @Steve Haynie mentioned sounded like Elmer Fudd, is annoying as hell.  I'm not kidding - Xanax abuse is the in thing in the club scene and was probably the hottest thing to be on.  One popular rapper even died from a combination of Xanax and opiates last week. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/16/death-lil-peep-us-prescription-drugs-epidemic-hip-hop-rapper

Then again, so did Tom Petty, so...  Of course, going out at 21 on chemical cocktails that kill old people with bad hips and depression isn't very badass in my opinion.

Either way, for what is popular right now, it isn't too bad.  I don't like the style in the first place, but he's good at it.  I remember my parents thinking my music was shit too.  Some of what I like in the late 80s and early 90s seems to have held up and remains popular today.  I doubt that this will, but I guess we'll see. 

This board is full of Theodor Adornos, haha. 

The blatantly exaggerated, vocal-fried Fuddness of his delivery is more curious than annoying to me. Much like Madonna's and Billie Joe Armstrong's put-on English accents, it is an unnecessary embellishment that adds nothing useful to the song. He is actually singing, which is a significant leap forward compared to much of the shit-hop my teen daughter listens to.

Grammy material? Uhhh..hmmm.  Says more about the sorry state of the Grammy awards thsn it does this young man's music.

I did listen. It won’t stand the test of time, but there’s a lot of crap out there much worse than this. At least the guy is singing —gosh, we have lowered our standards! I also hear some reggae in his stuff, which kinda puts me in a good mood. Had it had groovy guitars backing him, I would’ve liked —the second song does have some guitars, but it’s still too subtle.

In short, I could’ve liked it, had the arrangements been more guitar-oriented. Shamefully, producers nowadays suck... or is it just what the crowd’s asking for nowadays?

10 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

.....Says more about the sorry state of the Grammy awards.....

If you look back through the history of the Grammys you'll see nothing has changed - it's always been about the flavor-of-the-minute. And it usually tastes like shit. Can you say 'Milli Vanilli'?

I like the minimal approach.  It makes the textures the producer added more impactful.     

Will this guy's music stand the test of time?  Probably with the audience that it primarily appeals to - young urban stoners.  Give it 20 years and you'll be hearing this stuff on TV commercials.  I never would have thought this would have happened, but it did:

On 1/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, BubbaVO said:

I like the minimal approach.  It makes the textures the producer added more impactful.     

Will this guy's music stand the test of time?  Probably with the audience that it primarily appeals to - young urban stoners.  Give it 20 years and you'll be hearing this stuff on TV commercials.  I never would have thought this would have happened, but it did:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a Honda with a built-in Marshall half-stack, too.  I'm not holding my breath for either one.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:38 AM, Steve Haynie said:

That first song sounds like Elmer Fudd. 

Young, Dumb, and Bwoke high school kid, wu-huh-huh.

elmer-fudd-looney-tunes-stranger-than-fi

Now I'm gonna get that wabbit!

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

I think the guy's trying to use a Jamaican/Caribbean accent...and not doing too well.  I looked Khalid up on Wikipedia out of curiosity, he's apparently an Army brat who was born in Texas.  

Yep. To seem, rather than to be. 

Archived