Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Skynyrd announces final tour

The final tour was in October, 1977.  Everything else has been a tribute band.  Back in 1987 Lynyrd Skynyrd toured, and I saw the extended part of that tour in 1988.  Several times during the show they said "This is not Lynyrd Skynyrd.  We are just a tribute band." 

52 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The final tour was in October, 1977.  Everything else has been a tribute band.  Back in 1987 Lynyrd Skynyrd toured, and I saw the extended part of that tour in 1988.  Several times during the show they said "This is not Lynyrd Skynyrd.  We are just a tribute band." 

Verily. This "announcement" is roughly 40 years after the fact. 

12 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Elton John is doing a 300 show, three year tour, because he wants to stay home more with his children.  

Let that sink in for a moment.  

That is exactly the thought I had when I read that.  "I'm sorry I haven't been around very much but just hang on 3 years and Daddy will be spending a lot more time with you."

WTH?

47 minutes ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

Saw ‘em a couple summers back. Incredibly canned show, even the stage banter drawn directly from their 70s live album. It a fricken wax museum.

Caught the relatively recent show broadcasted on AXS. The performance itself was fair, not great. The original material from the last two decades is...meh...and serves as proof of how critical RVZ, Allen Collins, Ed King, and later, Steve Gaines were to their song craft.

I think Rossington's playing is still crisp and faithful to the original recordings. Medlocke and Phil Collen of Def Leppard both need tutoring on how to abstain from poorly executed, excessive noodling during songs. Overall, the show imparted a heavily scripted and canned vibe. The blatant pandering to a certain ideological mindset was as amateurish and unimpressive as it is when Bono does it at U2 shows.

If the young Van Zant was so hell bent on using the stars-and-stripes as a stage prop, someone in the Skynyrd camp should have stepped in years ago to teach him flag etiquette. It looks ridiculous, but I don't think he cares. He's cashing checks to the point he can retire comfortably. 

At the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction there was a real reunion.  Both Bob Burns and Artimus Pyle played drums and percussion.  Leslie Hawkins and JoJo Billingsley were brought back to sing backup.  Ed King was on stage with them.  At that time Leon Wilkeson, Gary Rossington, and Billy Powell were still in the "band."  Rick Medlocke was a member before the first album.  Basically, that show had the "original" band from the first album minus its singer. 

In the 90's it was a smart move for the Skynyrd organization to bring in Rick Medlocke and Hughie Thomasson from Blackfoot and The Outlaws.  The only southern rock band that drew big crowds at the time was The Allman Brothers, and their super loyal following was like an offshoot of Grateful Dead fans.  The Super Skynyrd band was good, but they were stuck on the past so much that they missed and opportunity to phase out the emphasis on the past.  Audiences knew that the original band was gone. 

After all this ranting about Lynyrd Skynyrd I have to confess that I got a ticket to see One Dog Night in a couple of months.  I like the music.  If they should play new music and leave out some of the old songs it will not bother me.

I saw Skynyrd in 2005. Rossingtom and Powell were the only original members left.  Now it’s just Gary.  The night I saw them, they were incredibly good. They were a tribute band and they just nailed every 70s song. I mean, it was like being there in 1976, it was so good. Minimal banter, just crankin’ Out the catalog we love so much.

Which is what people want from that group of musicians. I would rather hear them play Gimme Back My Bullets then some new song. Why? Because they are the best damn Skynyrd tribute out there. And Gary plays his parts perfectly. When I saw them Medlocke was playing Allen’s Explorer (pre-flood) and he copped his tone and phrasing very well.

Skynyrd is gone, now what calls themselves Skynyrd is gone too. I do regret not seeing them live in the ‘70s....Steve Gaines was a monster.

$595 per ticket VIP for the first 18 rows for all three upfront sections.  (That was not the highest price), that is an astonishing price for a tribute band. 

$195 per ticket for everything not VIP rows 19 - 30 

$149 per ticket for Sections behind the sound board.

The Outlaws are opening and Mrs. Hamericas favorite band Bad CO before LS.  

I will have to play my Lynyrd Skynyrd Albums and watch the "Behind the Music" on U tube on the night of the show.  

Hamerica

...and has it been said whether Mick Ralphs will be on this tour (RE: His stroke)? I know they've been gigging w/o him, and Howard Leese or Dave "Bucket" Colwell are decent players but still....

18 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

...and has it been said whether Mick Ralphs will be on this tour (RE: His stroke)? I know they've been gigging w/o him, and Howard Leese or Dave "Bucket" Colwell are decent players but still....

Willie,

There has not been an update on Mick Ralphs website for quite a long time.   His Blues Band post remains  "Going forward we will continue being what we always have been, good mates having a laugh and a giggle together, just from now on not on a stage in front of you lovely lot!"

On the ticket sites The Bad Company  logo has been modified with the names of Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke, in lieu of "Classic Rock at its Best".   The BAD CO website has also updated its logo and just adds the "official website".  Unfortunately , I think Mick is done touring with Bad CO.  He pretty much said so at his last appearance in the UK. 

19 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Years ago, maybe the very early 2000's, the original line up of Bad Company opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd.  It was a good show.  Boz Burrell died, so that Bad Company line up will never happen again. 

The Bad CO and LS tour (w/o Boz) repeated for the 40th Anniversary for both bands in 2014, which was the last tour I saw Mick Ralphs on stage.  Now with Ralphs apparently no longer touring that lineup will not happen again.

Hamerica

On 1/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Years ago, maybe the very early 2000's, the original line up of Bad Company opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd.  It was a good show.  Boz Burrell died, so that Bad Company line up will never happen again. 

I saw Bad Company and Skynyrd on the same show--and neither one headlined!

Edgar Winter [!] was the headliner.  LS's and BC's second albums had just come out and

the bands were still gathering steam.  Winter riding high from Free Ride and Frankenstein,

hence the headliner status.  Edgar had a pretty fair guitarist though--Ronnie Montrose!

I saw Skynyrd and ZZtop back in like 2011.  Only Rossington was left.  It was totally a tribute band.  They played all the old songs just like the records.  Even the same solos note for note.  No improv at all.  I thought I would have enjoyed just listening to the albums just as much. Like the other guys said above, it was very canned and lacking inspiration.  I will say that Ricky Medlocke was cool but too bad he wasn't in a different context than that.  I heard that Rossington had an iron fist on what happened in the band.  It's too bad the players weren't allowed to cut loose and have some fun.

Then all these people left the auditorium and missed an incredible show by the master Billy Gibbons.  That was wow.  So it was't my bad mood or anything like that.

Definitely won't pay money to see them again.

Speaking of tribute bands, I saw Grand Funk Railroad last night. Don Brewer is still a great drummer and was having a blast on stage. I was expecting Mel on bass but for some reason he wasn’t with them.  That was disappointing. The bass player they had use to be with Frampton. Good but not the same. Bruce Kulick was better with Kiss. The singer/guitarist was decent but he had tribute lounge singer written all over him. The crowd ate it up but IMO if it was not for Brewer they were too close to being just a lounge act. Still kudos to them I guess. They gave the people what they wanted and got paid doing it. But that is not rock n roll to me.  

Archived