Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Klon & Klones

Sugartune

On 2018-01-31 at 5:45 PM, Rich_S said:

I’ve played a couple of Soul Foods, and liked them.  Then I recently decided I needed a klone, so I bought a used Tumnus off Reverb.  It didn’t wow me.  I thought it’s low end was woofy and there was no way it could ever compete with my favorite OD, the BB Preamp.  So, back onto Reverb went the Tumnus. 

Some people think the Soul Food is thin or maybe fizzy compared to other, pricier klones, but I like it.  For its price I think it might be a “good to have around” pedal, but it’s not going to knock the BB off my board.

I have read that about the Tumnus. Haven’t heard it myself though. Folks also really like them, so I guess it depends on your setup and preferences. 

BB is a nice pedal. I like Xotic (this weirdly autocorrected to “CitiCorp”!?!). Love the RC booster.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played a few of these, incl. the Keeley Oxblood. Currently have a Rockett Archer Rockaway (Klone w. 6-band EQ) and an Arc FX Gold Klone. The thing I use, though, is a Greenchild K-818, which has smooth-ish variants on both the Klone and the TS in the one box. Neither half sounds like an Arc FX Klone going into EQD Dunes (my favourite of each), but I find the two halves of the K-818 play together sufficiently well in front of a Kingsley Page that I don't miss anything. 

I remember reading a pretty in depth article about what sets the design of the KLON apart from the rest, and it was pretty informative. I think they use some stereo pots and a crossover so low and high frequencies are treated differently, and that's just part of it. Not sure how much is real, and how much is smoke and mirrors.

I started off with a Soul Food just to dip my toe in the klone water. Liked it enough to sell it and order a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive, which was TGP flavor of the month at the time.

Ken (the builder) was pretty cool. In emails he asked about what and how I play, and told me his impressions of various components, i.e. the magic diodes.

I like it more as a boost than an overdrive, and mostly play it into my Princeton Reverb. It does nice things with my Albert Lee (my Strat replacement) and my Talladega. Likes single coils better than humbuckers IMO.

Archived