Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ontological guitar question of the day -

LucSulla

A new relic'd guitar feels like stolen valor to me.  I suppose if you're a fan boiiyyy you can get a replica that reproduces every nick, ding and scrape of your guitar hero's axe.  But that doesn't appeal to me either.

5 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

For $666, I get a certificate of authenticity for my Bass.

I bought this '74 Jazz bass in a pawnshop for $64.64 out the door back in '2008.

I literally have nothing in the bass...

You mean, other than the $730.64 you spent?

15 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

A new relic'd guitar feels like stolen valor to me.  I suppose if you're a fan boiiyyy you can get a replica that reproduces every nick, ding and scrape of your guitar hero's axe.  But that doesn't appeal to me either.

I wonder, if the 'Guitar Hero' continues to play the guitar that the replicas have been based off of, and continues to put dings/dents/wear on the original, what happens to the value of the replicas?  For instance, Marty Stuart still plays Clarence White's original 'Stringbender' Tele:

https://reverb.com/news/marty-stuart-on-clarence-whites-original-stringbender-tele

2 minutes ago, crunchee said:

I wonder, if the 'Guitar Hero' continues to play the guitar that the replicas have been based off of, and continues to put dings/dents/wear on the original, what happens to the value of the replicas?  For instance, Marty Stuart still plays Clarence White's original 'Stringbender' Tele:

https://reverb.com/news/marty-stuart-on-clarence-whites-original-stringbender-tele

Yeah, Kirk Hammett has been playing Greeny a lot live here lately.  What a pedigree: PETER GREEN - GARY MOORE - *cough* uh... KIRK HAMMETT!

17 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Yeah, Kirk Hammett has been playing Greeny a lot live here lately.  What a pedigree: PETER GREEN - GARY MOORE - *cough* uh... KIRK HAMMETT!

It should be worth less now.   

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

You mean, other than the $730.64 you spent?

C'mon Kiz.

Now that I've got  the bass authenticated by Fender, the extra value I've  got in the bass now makes the $666 that I spent seem like a $1. :D

18 hours ago, LucSulla said:

This is a huge breakthrough in developing our ontology!  It reminds me of the discussion of bare vs. natural rights - i.e. that we all have an intrinsic right to due process simply because you exist because the government tells you that you have it.  Not to get political, that is just the first example that sprang to mind. 

You have an authentic vintage natural relic because Fender says that player wear actually exists! 

What I'm going to need is for each guitar company to set up a verification process that each ding on my guitar is actually real, after which point, I can wale on it with a screwdriver end like Mario banging a question block for coins. 

The concept of "rights" logically presupposes duties predicated on objective imperatives (e.g., the duty following a proscription like "do not steal" logically entails a "right" to private property, or a duty to obey the prohibition against murder logically entails a "right" to life, and so forth). Since government can never serve as the ontic ground for such objective imperatives, it cannot provide a ground for objective rights. A finite entity like an artificial government (and I'm talking philosophy, not politics, even if we're addressing the state) at best can only recognize and reflect pre-existing duties/rights by predicating legislation on objective moral/ethical imperatives. And its expectation that citizens should obey civil mandates stems from our pre-existing duty to do so, not from any threat of punishment. The threat of punishment may serve to practically influence our behavioral choices, but it alone imposes no ontologically objective duties.

1 hour ago, FGJ said:

The concept of "rights" logically presupposes duties predicated on objective imperatives (e.g., the duty following a proscription like "do not steal" logically entails a "right" to private property, or a duty to obey the prohibition against murder logically entails a "right" to life, and so forth). Since government can never serve as the ontic ground for such objective imperatives, it cannot provide a ground for objective rights. A finite entity like an artificial government (and I'm talking philosophy, not politics, even if we're addressing the state) at best can only recognize and reflect pre-existing duties/rights by predicating legislation on objective moral/ethical imperatives. And its expectation that citizens should obey civil mandates stems from our pre-existing duty to do so, not from any threat of punishment. The threat of punishment may serve to practically influence our behavioral choices, but it alone imposes no ontologically objective duties.

Yep - Not going here :)

It's just a guitar thread. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, FGJ said:

This reminds me of debates about prescriptivism vs descriptivism in linguistics. :D

Back to the question of relics, I won't say for guitar relics but I have a distressed kitchen table.  The wear from the factory is completely different from real wear.  The worst part is that it's nitro finished and the edges have gummed up!

On 2/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, Texsunburst59 said:

Well here's my AVNR Tweed case for my  '74 Jazz bass with Vintage 70's stickers on it that are mostly local to the area.

By the way, this bass case also has an AVNR Certificate of Authenticity from Fender.

33324312490_aac5d347e2_b.jpg33552285432_5da53a13e6_b.jpg

Well yours  is miles more authentic than this one.......................REALLY?https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Heavy-Relic-Tweed-Guitar-Case/232661022126?hash=item362bad75ae:g:MhkAAOSwZtlaCC~K

Archived