Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Hamer Miller Guitar on CL SF bay area

I think this is a good price. All instances I've come across on the Internet are road-worn - the white graphics damaged, verdigris crept into the gold paint on the back and neck, dings and dents. One this pristine, with an original case that appears from what shows of it to be in great condition, and with the warranty card, is a collectible piece of Hamer history.

It also has at least one famous fan. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21771-esoterica-electrica-the-long-term-implications-of-short-term-thinking

1 hour ago, Boomerang~Junkie said:

Unless the OP is making a move on this guitar, I willDibs.

Is there a member here in the SFB area who would be kind enough to help look it over and facilitate the deal?

I'm hitting the sack now - one long ass day - but still here.  :) I'll follow up in the morning.

C'mon, kids. Let's help the man get his Miller on. I'm useless, living no where near 'Frisco. But who's there? San Mateo? Oakland? Berkeley?

And yes, I wrote " 'Frisco " just to piss off the natives and goad them into action.

I would be willing to pick this guitar up for any of you since I'm local. I would kindly ask you for gas money to pick the guitar up and for the shipping. You can make arrangements with the seller for his payment. PM me if you would like me to help out.

Guitar George

Guitar George - thank you very much for your kind offer to help, but the CL seller has already taken down the ad.  So I'm guessing it sold locally.  

FWIW - the seller was really pretty salty in his emails and  didn't really want to answer questions about the guitar besides it being  "mint" and "no issues" sort of general answers.  I provided my name, city and phone number in the first email to try to quell any scammer / tire-kicker vibe.  Despite a few email exchanges between us via CL about the guitar, he refused to speak on the phone and never provided his first name?  Just super short and almost like he was being bothered by all of this - enough to have my radar up.  He might be the nicest guy ever in person, but man - he came off pretty brusque in that whole exchange.

I hope someone here got it, had a better experience and its a great guitar for them.

Thanks again for the offer.

OK, this is a bit of a stretch, but what if it was Steve Miller selling the guitar that Rick gave him? I mean, Steve did sell his house in Oregon last year (I think), has a long history of residing in SF, and has a well earned reputation for being a dick. Add to this the fact that Rick's Miller guitar seemed to have gathered dust since the moment he got it from Jol. It would be as minty as the one in the CL ad.

At least some of the puzzle pieces fit....but, alas, it was not meant to be. Further research shows that Rick gave Steve a 3/3 headstock version with "Music" in place of "High Life". Dammit, that would have been a good yarn. 

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

OK, this is a bit of a stretch, but what if it was Steve Miller selling the guitar that Rick gave him? I mean, Steve did sell his house in Oregon last year (I think), has a long history of residing in SF, and has a well earned reputation for being a dick. Add to this the fact that Rick's Miller guitar seemed to have gathered dust since the moment he got it from Jol. It would be as minty as the one in the CL ad.

At least some of the puzzle pieces fit....but, alas, it was not meant to be. Further research shows that Rick gave Steve a 3/3 headstock version with "Music" in place of "High Life". Dammit, that would have been a good yarn. 

Well,

when I initially contacted him about it, this is what he said:

The guitar has never been played much.  I got it (when I owned a music store) as a trade in from a older gent who retired from Miller Brewing in the 80's. He did not want the usual watch, so he took the guitar instead which was in a closet. He traded it in to me for an acoustic guitar, in about 1987.  It might even have the original strings.  The case does have some marks on it from being dragged around, which I did, as I had multiple stores, and used it for display. Price is firm, or I'll keep it another 30 years.  Thanks 

Interesting back story. What a tool to respond the way he did with that parting comment. He must have been a joy to do deals with as a store owner....multiple stores. 😆

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Interesting back story. What a tool to respond the way he did with that parting comment. He must have been a joy to do deals with as a store owner....multiple stores. 😆

Yep,

Significantly less than super. B)

15 hours ago, Eli said:

Well,

when I initially contacted him about it, this is what he said:

The guitar has never been played much.  I got it (when I owned a music store) as a trade in from a older gent who retired from Miller Brewing in the 80's. He did not want the usual watch, so he took the guitar instead which was in a closet. He traded it in to me for an acoustic guitar, in about 1987.  It might even have the original strings.  The case does have some marks on it from being dragged around, which I did, as I had multiple stores, and used it for display. Price is firm, or I'll keep it another 30 years.  Thanks 

P.S. Get the hell off my lawn, you damn kids!

On 2/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, Biz Prof said:

Rick’s Miller guitar had the “Miller Music” graphic and a 3+3 headstock.

23 minutes ago, serial said:

Rick’s Miller guitar had the “Miller Music” graphic and a 3+3 headstock.

Yep, I did figure that out after a bit of Googlin'.... :P

On 2/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, Biz Prof said:

Further research shows that Rick gave Steve a 3/3 headstock version with "Music" in place of "High Life".

Archived