Hamer Fan Club Message Center

G12H30 and variants of.

bubs_42

Question

Ok, I keep fighting the urge to get another 3 Monkeys Orangutan and keep the Sock Monkey 18. So I think a speaker change is needed to voice the amp to my liking and I think i'm going to go with a G12H30 Anniversary or one like it. Currently loaded with a Greenback, it has the classic sound, but I want the amp to have a little wider frequency so I can have a bit more versatile  tone. I've owned the G12H30 Anni, the WGS Reaper and HP Reaper they all sound good. I have not tried any of the Heritage Celestions, or the G12-35XC which is on sale for $109 Shipped over at Avatar. 

10 answers to this question

I'm a fan of the Blue and the Gold with certain amps. We actually plugged the Orangutan into a Gold and thought it sounded good. We also tried it with a Blue but it was through another combo cabinet and not actually in the ORJ. 

I wote for the the G12H-30 Anniversaries. They are extremely good speakers. They tend to take some time to break in, as they are pretty heavy on the dope. I've massaged the doped edge on them carefully to make 'em softer. 

I have a 73 combo with original G12h-30s and I have two other old G12h-30 that currently are un installed. I could not tell a well broken in 70th Anniversary from them. I have a friend who swears by the Heritage G12H-30, but I dunno... the 70the Anniversaries are good enough. They are supposed to be played loud. At that volume, in a band situation, who hears a difference?

The Annie’s sound great but I’ll also add two more:

1. Weber C1230—-slightly out of control H30 tone in a great way.

2. Weber Legacy—-choose your mag size, doping, etc. The one I sold with my lil Dawg Pug was the best I had tried in that amp and I tried a lot

1 minute ago, Disturber said:

You wont hear any difference between a 55hz and a 75 once the 75hz has been played, and broken in. I have one of each, old 1970s ones, in my 73 marshallcombo. To me they sound exactly the same. Or, if they sound any different to each other, I sure can't hear if by the time i disconected one and connected the other. Perhaps If I recorded them and listened with bat ears. The magnet and basket is the same. Only some difference in the paper, what I don't know. But pater is a lively material, once it gets pounded enough by sheer volume, it will play lower by nature then when it's new and stiffer.

Great, then this speaker should be the ticket, I think its suppose to arrive on Friday. 

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@Disturber the 55HZ and the 70th are going to be tried. As well as the CX 90th and the Gold. I do know the Greenback has to go. 

You wont hear any difference between a 55hz and a 75 once the 75hz has been played, and broken in. I have one of each, old 1970s ones, in my 73 marshallcombo. To me they sound exactly the same. Or, if they sound any different to each other, I sure can't hear if by the time i disconnected one and connect the other. Perhaps If I recorded them and listened with bat ears. The magnet and basket is the same. Only some difference in the paper cone, what I don't know. But paper is a lively material, once it gets pounded enough by sheer volume, it will play lower by nature then when it's new and stiffer.

The 60 year old guy that has reconed some old celestions for me, this guy has reconed ever old speaker available and owned more vintage guitars and amps than I can imagine, just laughed at me when I asked him what cone he used when he reconed a 55hz. I got the NOS Celestion cones he had and the speaker sounds better than before.

@Disturber , definitely different in feel. This is a Quick and Responsive Speaker. What is awesome is that the amp has a greater sweet spot range. But if you not "ON" this amp isn't going to cover your ass. Speaker swap really transformed the amp 100% for me. I think this thing would just kill with a horizontal 2x12 with a pair of Reapers or one reaper one alnico. Damn I seriously didn't know what to expect as far as how much it would change the amp. 

8 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@Disturber , definitely different in feel. This is a Quick and Responsive Speaker. What is awesome is that the amp has a greater sweet spot range. But if you not "ON" this amp isn't going to cover your ass. Speaker swap really transformed the amp 100% for me. I think this thing would just kill with a horizontal 2x12 with a pair of Reapers or one reaper one alnico. Damn I seriously didn't know what to expect as far as how much it would change the amp. 

I've had several different type of speakers in my Deluxe Reverb II. Turned it into a different amp with every speaker swap. Liked the Eminence Red, White & Blue very much, but the Celestion 70th Anniversary that I have in there now is the best I've had so far. Perhaps not the same Fender top end sparkle as with the Eminence, and the previous Weber I had in there, but the best tone when the amp breaks up. And the cleans are far from bad. They are, as they say "good enough". Works best for the type of music that I play.

Archived