Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your FedEx package is experiencing a delay...

I work in shipping for a tennis shop, so I'm on the UPS & FedEx websites every day. It amuses me to no end to read what I call their "excuse of the day." This takes the form of a colored or flashing banner at the top of the screen which highlights the flood-or-fire of the moment, or perhaps a large named storm of some sort, hurricane, vortex, blizzard or otherwise. Said disaster is supposedly responsible for shipping delays to/from YOUR area. They've got a lot of excuses for missing or delayed packages.  That said, their service is generally pretty good for small businesses that deal in high volume. Even the boxes that do show up exploded and re-packaged tend to have all the expected content. It's really amazing the package volume in which these companies deal.

Oh, and the UPS guy and I love to commiserate about the FedEx guy. I call him Mr. Happy because of his generally dour disposition. He's most talkative and animated when he's had some sort of confrontation with a customer or someone else driving a vehicle. Last week, after being locked out of a delivery address for over 10 minutes, he was particularly animated, and threatened to give them a bad review if this keeps occurring, and then he won't have to deliver there anymore.

And then he said, "Technically, they're not my customer anyway, if you know what I mean."

"No, I don't know what you mean," I prompted.

"Well, they're not the ones paying the freight. Technically, the shipper is the one I'm working for."

Huh?

Archived