Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One of a kind - Full sized Blitz/Scarab

My high school grad present from the P's!  Designed it myself.  Ordered at SoundPost in Mt Prospect from Nate (now at Willie's Guitars) in 1986.

Got called to the factory a couple times by Paul to go over the design and approve any changes.  Bothered them every day for it til I got it in 1987.

I've changed many many pickups on it, but have never been satisfied (except for possible JBs in it now), but NOTHING has ever played this well and I've owned many hundreds of guitars.  Eventually, I'll get the sound right...  Happily getting old with THE ULTIMATE machine of 80s excellence!!

me alfest.jpg

Put the original pickups back in it and realise it was perfect all along :P Or go standard JB/Jazz or JB/59...

That's f-ing hot! Love the hockey stick head stock! Vast improvement over the other 6-in-line version IMO.

41 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Boy you did that one right. WOW! 

The only thing I didn't do (or haven't done still) was black binding, or having the bevels black.  I may try wide pinstripe tape to see if i like it?  Possibly the Jimmy Page wiring set up too?  Tom Holmes pickups?  

11 minutes ago, AHHAMERDAYS said:

I may try wide pinstripe tape to see if i like it? 

Possibly the Jimmy Page wiring set up too? 

Tom Holmes pickups?  

Na, it's sexy the way it is.

Why? it's a Rocket!, not a command center.

Find a set of Classics, same dam thing. Tom spec'd the classics while at Gibson. Save some coin.

Very Cool Guitar.

Welcome to the HFC!

YtJXcnV.jpg

2 minutes ago, murkat said:

Find a set of Classics, same dam thing. Tom spec'd the classics while at Gibson. Save some coin.

Very Cool Guitar.

Welcome to the HFC!

YtJXcnV.jpg

I have a drawer full of classics with different ohmages, and I can't find one that sounds right for this guitar.  Actual Holmes made are way better.

2 minutes ago, murkat said:

Murkat says it best (though, it goes 180 degrees from my usual take on modding axes) :  Leave it as is! The pin striping will look cheesy and over-reaching for a straight-ahead rocker like that!

32 minutes ago, AHHAMERDAYS said:

I can't find one that sounds right for this guitar.  Actual Holmes made are way better.

Holmes, I agree. Each one is top shelf compared to one out of 10 Classics. Both very picky in adjustments to yield optimal tone.

But, that guitar, with a Floyd, I do not think your going to get what you want out of it with a classic, Holmes, type pickup.

At least in my experiences of.... :ph34r:

Archived