Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Delayed Gratification

MTM105

I've been on a GAS bender past 3-4 years.  I need to slow down.  6 boutique heads, 4 Cabs after owning Peavey and Crate for maybe 3 decades.  I've got more than I know what to do with.  I don't know why I waited so long.  Military career had something to do with it.  No networking.

I have $$ from backpay.  I can buy any Amp I want (reasonably under $2K).  Just scored FUCHS Blackjack21 with 2X12 GB Cab via forum member.  Stellar, stellar, stellar tone.  What beats that??

I'm back in Grad school. Maybe 1 1/2 years I'll complete.  This will give me time to research what I can use.  Maybe play some things first.  Then reward myself, even if on credit.

I know there is an Amp Head out there that'll make me go OMFG!!  Or maybe just go Friedman route.  Redplate, Bogner, Shiva, etc..  I haven't a clue.  30-50 Watt range.  I don't have 6L6s.  I lean towards NMV.

I'm into classic Rock vibe.  I don't have anything VOX-like.  Vintage Ampeg?  Vintage Fender Bassman?  Orange.

How many amps (and what types) do you own now? If you have six I would keep two faves, sell the rest and maybe seek out the booteeky amp of your dreams. 

I don't think you could go wrong with anything Friedman. Splawn makes good chit too, mang.

On a related note to ^^^^ ... before you spend a metric fuck-ton of money and before your arsenal gets to the point of resembling a studio rental facility's inventory, have you considered a Kemper or another modern high-$$$ modeler at least for now? I say that because as much as I appreciate the "real thing," you're throwing so many names/types/styles out there in the OP, seems to me you don't really know what you want or ultimately want to have or keep. Just seems spending fractions of the money on really nice patches in a really nice modeler would be (pardon the pun) a sound starting point without breaking the bank and without amassing a shitload of space-eating high-dollar amps. 

15 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

On a related note to ^^^^ ... before you spend a metric fuck-ton of money and before your arsenal gets to the point of resembling a studio rental facility's inventory, have you considered a Kemper or another modern high-$$$ modeler at least for now? I say that because as much as I appreciate the "real thing," you're throwing so many names/types/styles out there in the OP, seems to me you don't really know what you want or ultimately want to have or keep. Just seems spending fractions of the money on really nice patches in a really nice modeler would be (pardon the pun) a sound starting point without breaking the bank and without amassing a shitload of space-eating high-dollar amps. 

Looking back, if this was an option when I was doing the same thing in scoping out amps, I’d totally be down for the Kemper idea. 

Do music stores frown on setting up your Kemper in the shop and profiling their inventory ;)

Great suggestion. 

Kemper could be it.  in 18 months the used models will be affordable.  But I don't like options.  Too many options is discouraging.

I'll appreciate my other Amps during the interim and focus on studying.  And having what it takes to play out.

I've got Nace 18W.  That Amp head is enough to meet ANYONE'S satisfaction.

I don't play out.  So I don't REALLY know what I need.

I should be happy with what I've got.  Very happy.

Maybe, just maybe Marshall Code.  Return policy. lol

Archived