Hamer Fan Club Message Center

international "trading" (overseas) and Cites??

Since 2017 there is a new "law" for trading products with rosewood parts ... (Cites II)

My question: are there any problems known buying a guitar in USA and shipping to Europe???

My fear: could/would it confiscate from customs without "papers"??

The way I understand it (EU viewpoint here) is:

Can't import/ export instruments with Brazilian Rosewood period! (But you may keep it, if you already have it and can provide prove of ownership before January 2017, at least that seems to be the regulation in Germany at the moment).

Indian Rosewood must be accompanied by paperwork that verifies the wood used on the guitar.

This accounts for international trading  through customs (US/EU for example). EU trading may be less problematic. Again with the exception of Brazilian Rosewood that seems to be an absolute no-go.

My information is partly based on paperwork (NRW, Germany) that I have received in regards to my guitars in early 2017.

8 hours ago, JochenP said:

My fear: could/would it confiscate from customs without "papers"??

Yes.

I had a guitar confiscated this past summer, even though it had no rosewood whatsoever.  After they opened it, inspected it, it only took six more weeks to receive the guitar!

You are taking a risk.

If you pay with PayPal, you can always file a "not received item" chargeback and it becomes the seller's problem. 

I think you'll need these if you want to send a guitar to the US:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Jan/CBP Form 3311.pdf

Sample of how to use it:

http://www.fedex.com/downloads/jp_english/shipdocuments/form_3311.pdf

And then you will have to have the CITES documents from your country, and the buyer must have an import document for importing CITES goods. I think...... :-=

The easiest thing to me seems to just buy an airline ticket and fly the instrument over yourself, with you own CITES papers. And if the customs asks you questions just say you are visiting and will try to write some songs, play with friends etc. (NOT work just recreation). 

For me it sounds that European Hamer fans are as same as kids in front of the window from a candy store:

We could see all those beauties in the USA (ebay.com or Reverb...) but never can buy them :(

35 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

You can buy most of them.  You just have to jump through hoops to get them.

just for our "350guitars" it gone to be a little expensive <_<

4 hours ago, JochenP said:

For me it sounds that European Hamer fans are as same as kids in front of the window from a candy store:

We could see all those beauties in the USA (ebay.com or Reverb...) but never can buy them :(

Oh of course you can!  It just takes a little more effort.

2 hours ago, DBraz said:

Oh of course you can!  It just takes a little more effort.

And some more €.

Where were the times when the Dollar was 1.60 to the Euro and customs didn’t cared. I had at least 2 guitars shipped from the States  with no custom fees.  They didn’t had a clue that a Hamer was worth anything.

10 hours ago, belgian said:

And some more €.

W I had at least 2 guitars shipped from the States  with no custom fees.  

Me too. A Korina Artist and a 79 Sunburst. I sent them to my office, on the company Fed Ex account. Three day shipping was like a 100 $. Those were the days!

There were no gold digger times for me, although, I could make great deals in 2008/09. And since had no high value taxes to pay. Definitely, the good times have passed away. 

Archived