Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bye-Bye Fender, Hello PRS (Though It Don't Look Like It To Me)

crunchee

Harley-Davidson sued Honda over their Shadow 750 American Classic Edition, because they managed to come very close to the exhaust note/sound of a Harley. This is done by using a single pin crankshaft and specific firing interval, which honestly caused the Honda to LOSE horsepower. I don't think the lawsuits were ever settled, but I think Honda changed the engine mainly so they would stop having to deal with the lawsuits.

Like Gibson, they often hope that the threat of a lawsuit will end up being too expensive so the other side gives up.

Harley Davidson also tried to trademark the "tink tink tink" noise their engine, and EVERYONE ELSES AIR COOLED ENGINE, makes when cooling down.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Harley-Davidson sued Honda over their Shadow 750 American Classic Edition, because they managed to come very close to the exhaust note/sound of a Harley. This is done by using a single pin crankshaft and specific firing interval, which honestly caused the Honda to LOSE horsepower. I don't think the lawsuits were ever settled, but I think Honda changed the engine mainly so they would stop having to deal with the lawsuits.

Like Gibson, they often hope that the threat of a lawsuit will end up being too expensive so the other side gives up.

Harley Davidson also tried to trademark the "tink tink tink" noise their engine, and EVERYONE ELSES AIR COOLED ENGINE, makes when cooling down.

I'd have enjoyed it had the '90s-era owners attempted to trademark the "drip-drip-drip" sound an AMF-era Harley makes leaking oil. 

It's even got a cup that catches the oil it pukes out when starting.  What is amazing though is that those AMF years are when most of the ground work was laid for the Evolution engine.

Of course, most other motor companies had gone long past that decades before. H-D's design is definitely retro, and while it's harder to see now, is STILL based around having a giant flywheel at the bottom to smooth out the power. And of course a chain primary drive between the crank and the transmission...

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

The idea that courts gave Gibson protection on a design under trademark law is preposterous and I don’t know why aside from cost, that no one has taken it back to the courts.

I like your thinking. Interesting that FMIC pressured Charvel, Jackson, Kramer, Fernandes, ESP, and many others to stop emulating the Stratocaster headstock profile due to what I recall being touted as those knockoffs creating confusion in the marketplace. Of course, that confusion--as it relates to Charvel and Jackson--magically dissipated once FMIC acquired those brands.

I'm a firm believer in intellectual property protection, but bullshit is as bullshit does.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:31 AM, Jeff R said:

I was kinda expecting a natural wood, PRS sig logo variation of the Dan Spitz PRS headstock.

The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-on-a-PR

The idea came from simply making a 6 in a row style headstock and stretching the current PRS style into something so ugly I would like it. - Dan Spitz, March 2010

I actually like that body carve a little....just a little.

That headstock starts off as a tilted PRS at the nut, then skee-slopes flat paddling to a simple mooned fork.

Hideous upon hideous upon hideous.

That headstock is an 

A friend of mine has a PRS SE EG, and I think it's a helluva nice guitar. The one in the pic isn't his but looks exactly like his. It is a set neck guitar.

prs se eg.jpg

I have finally "bonded" with my PRS CU24.. And I finally found a "Strat" that I like.. But Hamer's are still on the top of my  "Do Not Sell" List...

003.JPG

006.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only thing I get from the comments is that apparently only the first 500 come with a hardshell case?

REALLY? A $2300 guitar that doesn't have a hard case?

Archived