Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
crunchee

Bye-Bye Fender, Hello PRS (Though It Don't Look Like It To Me)

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, judging by what I'm hearing from dealers, there really are a ton of die hard PRS fans who really want a strat. Now they can have their PRS strat.

I'm now more curious to what this "enhanced first fret access" thing has to do with Mayer's playing style. Is he doing first fret pulloffs with his ring finger?

I'm curious about that myself.  I'm not familiar enough with his playing style to know what he's doing up in that area.  Johnny Hiland's signature PRS had a little more depth from the strings to the face of the headstock so he could do behind-the-nut bends, but the headstock was the normal shape.  John 5 does it a fair bit on a Tele, but that's a standard headstock as far as I know.

7 hours ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

Shoddy reporting. It was a trademark case, and the headline refers to copyright.

The writer's misunderstanding about trademark vs. copyright aside, the practical implication is the same - Fender can't do anything about people using that body shape. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 6:12 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

I don't follow John Meyer. I don't follow PRS. Ting Stamp of Disapproval. 

Same here.

6 hours ago, LucSulla said:

The writer's misunderstanding about trademark vs. copyright aside, the practical implication is the same - Fender can't do anything about people using that body shape. 

It’s such utter bullshit that Gibson gets away with this nonsense. I remember in a the late ‘90s if I recall the time correctly, Harley Davidson tried to trademark the sound of a V-Twin straight piped / no muffler, to fend off competitors V-Twin offerings. Jap V-Twins we’re becoming hugely popular in the ‘90s. It didn’t fly, rightfully so!

Harley-Davidson sued Honda over their Shadow 750 American Classic Edition, because they managed to come very close to the exhaust note/sound of a Harley. This is done by using a single pin crankshaft and specific firing interval, which honestly caused the Honda to LOSE horsepower. I don't think the lawsuits were ever settled, but I think Honda changed the engine mainly so they would stop having to deal with the lawsuits.

Like Gibson, they often hope that the threat of a lawsuit will end up being too expensive so the other side gives up.

Harley Davidson also tried to trademark the "tink tink tink" noise their engine, and EVERYONE ELSES AIR COOLED ENGINE, makes when cooling down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Harley-Davidson sued Honda over their Shadow 750 American Classic Edition, because they managed to come very close to the exhaust note/sound of a Harley. This is done by using a single pin crankshaft and specific firing interval, which honestly caused the Honda to LOSE horsepower. I don't think the lawsuits were ever settled, but I think Honda changed the engine mainly so they would stop having to deal with the lawsuits.

Like Gibson, they often hope that the threat of a lawsuit will end up being too expensive so the other side gives up.

Harley Davidson also tried to trademark the "tink tink tink" noise their engine, and EVERYONE ELSES AIR COOLED ENGINE, makes when cooling down.

I'd have enjoyed it had the '90s-era owners attempted to trademark the "drip-drip-drip" sound an AMF-era Harley makes leaking oil. 

• Haha 4

It's even got a cup that catches the oil it pukes out when starting.  What is amazing though is that those AMF years are when most of the ground work was laid for the Evolution engine.

Of course, most other motor companies had gone long past that decades before. H-D's design is definitely retro, and while it's harder to see now, is STILL based around having a giant flywheel at the bottom to smooth out the power. And of course a chain primary drive between the crank and the transmission...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Usually after a patent expires, generic production is open game. Trying to get around the PAT expirations with trademarking sound, shape, etc, is just utter nonsense. Infringing upon registered trademarks is different and should be strictly enforced, but trademark only. Not design. Design is protected only during a current non-expired registered patent. A trademark would be the “Gibson” logo, or the “LesPaul” signature on the model, or the “Coke” or Coca-Cola product logos or signatures etc. The idea that courts gave Gibson protection on a design under trademark law is preposterous and I don’t know why aside from cost, that no one has taken it back to the courts. If John Browning’s Colt .45ACP 1911 Gov’t pistol got protection under Trademark law after the patents expired a hundred years ago, dozens of firearms manufacturers wouldn’t exist today. Same goes for any product.

What if pharmaceutical companies were able to stop generic pill production after their patents expire on the design or chemical compound makeup of a drug, based on the argument that “it looks like our pill?” None of us would be able to buy any aspirin because it went the way of Gibson and a bottle of aspirin would cost $50!

Such bullshit.

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

The idea that courts gave Gibson protection on a design under trademark law is preposterous and I don’t know why aside from cost, that no one has taken it back to the courts.

I like your thinking. Interesting that FMIC pressured Charvel, Jackson, Kramer, Fernandes, ESP, and many others to stop emulating the Stratocaster headstock profile due to what I recall being touted as those knockoffs creating confusion in the marketplace. Of course, that confusion--as it relates to Charvel and Jackson--magically dissipated once FMIC acquired those brands.

I'm a firm believer in intellectual property protection, but bullshit is as bullshit does.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2018 at 7:31 AM, Jeff R said:

I was kinda expecting a natural wood, PRS sig logo variation of the Dan Spitz PRS headstock.

The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-on-a-PR

The idea came from simply making a 6 in a row style headstock and stretching the current PRS style into something so ugly I would like it. - Dan Spitz, March 2010

I actually like that body carve a little....just a little.

That headstock starts off as a tilted PRS at the nut, then skee-slopes flat paddling to a simple mooned fork.

Hideous upon hideous upon hideous.

That headstock is an 

You know what?  I've determined that I don't hate it.  I may try one someday if everyone keeps hating them and they end up on the used market on the cheap-ish.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A friend of mine has a PRS SE EG, and I think it's a helluva nice guitar. The one in the pic isn't his but looks exactly like his. It is a set neck guitar.

prs se eg.jpg

Edited by mudshark

I have finally "bonded" with my PRS CU24.. And I finally found a "Strat" that I like.. But Hamer's are still on the top of my  "Do Not Sell" List...

003.JPG

006.JPG

The only thing I get from the comments is that apparently only the first 500 come with a hardshell case?

REALLY? A $2300 guitar that doesn't have a hard case?

• Like 2