Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Glenn Tipton No Longer Touring

Blabbermouth is reporting that Glenn Tipton has Parkinson's Disease and will not be touring with Judas Priest anymore.  On the "plus side" Andy Sneap will be filling in for him.  If there was a guy who could fit in, it would be Andy Sneap. 

On the last tour some of us were commenting on Glenn possibly having a shaking hand.  He looked OK both times I saw him on that tour. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seemed inevitable that something was going on. Still, it's hard to accept this sort of news. Perhaps Sneap could borrow one of Glenn's Hamers in order to play it on a few songs during the tour. It would be a nice tribute. 

TAC = The Aging Continues

I saw them on their last tour and was right up front. The tremor in Glenn's fretting hand was obvious. I was surprised he was able to complete that tour, let alone record another album and plan on going out on the road again.

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

It goes hand in hand with IBS, RBS, and TDC. One might say TAC for some is synonymous with IBS, RBS, and certainly the cause of such, not to mention the primary contributor of TDC.

There is also, of course, "acute B.S.". That's a range of maladies either largely exaggerated or completely fabricated in the minds of patients and subsequently construed to be an affliction effectively treated with a doctor-prescribed pharmaceutical that just happens to be advertised heavily on daytime TV. 

Sad news... but the guy has been rocking the entire world for over 40 years...

I remember when their second album came out, much better than their first, yet none of my friends liked them and they all said Priest wouldn' last.

I just got onboard for the JP show here in DC next month.  I was really looking forward to seeing GT up there...

I wish him all the best.  Parkinson's is no joke, and I know several people close to me who suffer from it.  It impacts the individual as well as the families, and is heartbreaking to see the devastation.

What a shame. Yet another admired player begins the long, slow decline. 

Very cool that ASneap is filling in, but I won’t be attending the SF show. AC/DC was wrenching enough. I  can’t go through with it this time. 

If you search for our discussions on here for the last tour, many of us suspected Parkinson's. He was REALLY struggling during the 4 shows I saw during that tour. You could see his hands shaking when they showed him on the video screen at Foxwoods. I was really shocked when they announced a new album AND tour. I just couldn't see how Glenn could do another tour. Alas...

A good friend of mine - who is very close to the band and has had a long relationship with them - and I were talking just this past Thursday about it. In fact, Glenn, for the first time, didn't participate in any press activities during the last tour. My friend noted it was VERY odd for him to do that. It also explains why he wasn't participating in any of the two Fantasy Camps the band did (which looked really bad anyway). He was the one who alerted me to the news this morning. 

The passage of time is fucking cruel. I'll never get the vision out of my mind of Glenn shredding the All Guns Blazing solo on stage during the Painkiller tour. THAT is what Glenn Tipton was, and will always be, for me. The solo to Beyond the Realms of Death is the equivalent to - or greater than -  Stairway to Heaven or Hotel California. This is just heartbreaking. He is, HANDS DOWN, the most underrated and under appreciated guitarist of all time and it just fizzles out into a cruel, cruel ending. :(...

This is sad.  He is underrated as a player outside of metal.  

I guess as time passes, the question becomes is the band and the business bigger than the individual members?   I suppose as we see more groups deciding to continue to go on without founding or clearly important members, to them, the answer is yes.   Paul and Gene have said that eventually there would be others to replace them and KISS would keep going.  

Will the same thing happen when Halford can't keep up?  What about Angus?  AC/DC announced recording and touring with Axl.   Will someone replace Angus when he can't do it anymore?   I know it's tough, but I don't like this trend.   

Makes you wonder. Did mid-century, big-band fans become outraged when original members quit, died or migrated to other bands? Maybe it’s different with pop groups since they’re smaller and their members more visible?

Either way, very bummed out today. More than I thought I could be. 

15 minutes ago, scottcald said:

This is sad.  He is underrated as a player outside of metal.  

I guess as time passes, the question becomes is the band and the business bigger than the individual members?   I suppose as we see more groups deciding to continue to go on without founding or clearly important members, to them, the answer is yes.   Paul and Gene have said that eventually there would be others to replace them and KISS would keep going.  

Will the same thing happen when Halford can't keep up?  What about Angus?  AC/DC announced recording and touring with Axl.   Will someone replace Angus when he can't do it anymore?   I know it's tough, but I don't like this trend.   

I think the KISS thing is asinine. They're delusional if they think anyone will pay money to see the band without Paul and Gene. Same with Priest. Without Rob, Priest could barely sell out clubs back in the late 90s. (Hell, they can't even sell out arenas any more WITH Rob) So, that fantasy is also silly. 

1 minute ago, DBraz said:

Very sad.  I will always remember the painkiller tour.  One of the greatest shows I've been to.  Him and KK banging heads in unison.  Awesome!  

I saw them on both the Defenders of the Faith and Turbo tours.   Great shows both times.  

26 minutes ago, devrock said:

I think the KISS thing is asinine. They're delusional if they think anyone will pay money to see the band without Paul and Gene. Same with Priest. Without Rob, Priest could barely sell out clubs back in the late 90s. (Hell, they can't even sell out arenas any more WITH Rob) So, that fantasy is also silly. 

And yet, Foreigner fills stadiums as a headliner with high priced tickets and big name bands with original members as openers.  Life is so unfair. 

It is time to start shopping on eBay for some red leather pants so I can walk around the concert hall next month paying tribute to Glenn. 

2018 is starting to suck worse than 2017...and we're not even halfway through February.  It's one thing when Rockers drop dead suddenly without notice, but long, slow illnesses bite hard.  Maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself and my generation, but I don't see any new, truly 'equivalent'-level acts/groups heading in to take these bands' places, either...and I haven't for a long time, and I'm beginning to think it's not gonna happen.

From this statement, I wonder if Glenn is actually gonna do what he said in the Blabbermouth article...maybe at a venue that's convenient to him and his home and family, but IMO I wouldn't expect to see him hanging out at every show:

Glenn said: "I want everyone to know that it's vital that the JUDAS PRIEST tour go ahead and that I am not leaving the band — it's simply that my role has changed. I don't rule out the chance to go on stage as and when I feel able to blast out some PRIEST! So at some point in the not-too-distant future, I'm really looking forward to seeing all of our wonderful metal maniacs once again."

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Makes you wonder. Did mid-century, big-band fans become outraged when original members quit, died or migrated to other bands?

Nah, they just put on their polyester slacks or Dickies coveralls and drove their Buicks, Mercurys, or DeSotos to the local greasy spoon at 4:50am to briefly lament the passing of Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, etc....and then went back to their normal routine of complaining about the "the rock-n-roll music" and how everything they didn't like was related to Communism. 

The clothing, car makes, and venues might be different, but we're much the same as our forefathers....as scary as that seems.

9 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Nah, they just put on their polyester slacks or Dickies coveralls and drove their Buicks, Mercurys, or DeSotos to the local greasy spoon at 4:50am to briefly lament the passing of Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, etc....and then went back to their normal routine of complaining about the "the rock-n-roll music" and how everything they didn't like was related to Communism. 

Maybe they complained in the Sixties and Seventies, but probably not before, IMO.  Big Band was pretty much dead or dying by the Fifties, before Rockers you had Patty Page and Perry Como taking over the airwaves; they weren't Big Band (more like a solo act with a band backing) but they were palatable to the older generation when compared with Rawk. 

Maybe things are going full circle again.  Or not.

4 hours ago, cynic said:

With Andy Sneap filling in for Priest, Ionel may get his chance to play alongside Kev Bower in Hell. 

I laughed my side too, but as funny as it may look... one never knows! ;) 

Tough (but realistic,) day.

Priest was, hands-down, my earliest and strongest major musical influence.  Glenn has such a nice mix of Classical melodies and voicing with a bluesy shade in the delivery.   Even though it took some time for me to fully appreciate the quantum shift of Painkiller as a whole, I could immediately recognize and respect the jaw-dropping level of woodshedding he and K.K. put in, as a couple of well-established pros who needed to prove nothing--and instead came out totally on fire.

I know this one's made the rounds before, and while the tones can be debated, the fantastic vibrato and legato playing are on clear display in the solo excerpts from the two songs.   (As well as the great sense of wry humor,  "...if you can spot the deliberate mistakes, please write to...")      :)

Wishing Glenn, as well as Andy and all the Priest guys the very best.   May they enjoy their times together.

Archived