Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Glenn Tipton No Longer Touring

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

And yet, Foreigner fills stadiums as a headliner with high priced tickets and big name bands with original members as openers.  Life is so unfair. 

Agreed 100%.  I saw them recently, and Mick Jones was showing up at random shows and playing, but apparently, not on the entire tour.  It was like watching a very polished Vegas tribute act, not Foreigner...actually, the weakest link was Mick.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bass Guy Dave said:

I could immediately recognize and respect the jaw-dropping level of woodshedding he and K.K. put in, as a couple of well-established pros who needed to prove nothing--and instead came out totally on fire.

Yep. For those in the general music listening public who do not realize what a massive shift in playing technique that was, they're missing out on something truly remarkable and inspiring. 

On topic now:

That’s very sad, but we all keep on degenerating, getting old and then we eventually die.

Luckily, these guys who wrote some of the best pages in the history of popular music leave a legacy to us that goes well beyond their mere physical reproduction. That’s why I feel both saddened and relieved when I see situations like this one; because, deep inside themselves, I’m sure these talented musicians can always feel accomplished... and I frankly hope such feelings of accomplishment can compensate a bit for their losses.

Yet, it’s indeed very sad. Life’s a bitch... and illness and death also are —even more so. :( 

A few weeks back when they released their upcoming tour dates I was very surprised how intense it was. I had my doubts if it would last as long as advertised knowing of Glenn’s struggles on the last tour.  I’m glad they addressed the issue before going back on the road. I would have hated to see them pull a Van Halen and complain of exhaustion and cancel dates that already had tickets sold. 

4 hours ago, crunchee said:

From this statement, I wonder if Glenn is actually gonna do what he said in the Blabbermouth article...maybe at a venue that's convenient to him and his home and family, but IMO I wouldn't expect to see him hanging out at every show:

Glenn said: "I want everyone to know that it's vital that the JUDAS PRIEST tour go ahead and that I am not leaving the band — it's simply that my role has changed. I don't rule out the chance to go on stage as and when I feel able to blast out some PRIEST! So at some point in the not-too-distant future, I'm really looking forward to seeing all of our wonderful metal maniacs once again."

I HIGHLY doubt he'll show up at any show in North America. If at all. I think it's a wishful thinking type of statement. 

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Yep. For those in the general music listening public who do not realize what a massive shift in playing technique that was, they're missing out on something truly remarkable and inspiring. 

Painkiller will always be one of my top-3 metal albums of all time along with MOP and maybe Rust in Peace. What Glenn (especially) and KK did on that album was second-to-none. The addition of Scott, however, also elevated them to an entirely new level. So it was a quantum leap for the entire band. 

40 minutes ago, devrock said:

Painkiller will always be one of my top-3 metal albums of all time along with MOP and maybe Rust in Peace. What Glenn (especially) and KK did on that album was second-to-none. The addition of Scott, however, also elevated them to an entirely new level. So it was a quantum leap for the entire band. 

The playing definitely upped technically, but I felt like their tone had evolved in a way I didn't like.  It became more buzzsaw like with the low end rolled off.  I think Vengeance, Defenders and Turbo contained their best tones.  Doesn't take away from the playing from Painkiller forward.  It's stellar.  

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

The playing definitely upped technically, but I felt like their tone had evolved in a way I didn't like.  It became more buzzsaw like with the low end rolled off. 

Yeahhhhh, brah. MIDI’ll do that to ya. 

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Agreed 100%.  I saw them recently, and Mick Jones was showing up at random shows and playing, but apparently, not on the entire tour.  It was like watching a very polished Vegas tribute act, not Foreigner...actually, the weakest link was Mick.  

Was it like it was when I saw Foreigner a few years ago?  They wheeled Mick onstage after the fourth song like someone's Grandad being let out for the evening on a game show.

4 minutes ago, devrock said:

So, this is really bad news. If at least they could get KK Downing back! Yeah, wishful thinking, I know... but it sucks big time having neither Glen nor KK with them. This is not Judas Priest anymore. :( 

7 minutes ago, zorrow said:

So, this is really bad news. If at least they could get KK Downing back! Yeah, wishful thinking, I know... but it sucks big time having neither Glen nor KK with them. This is not Judas Priest anymore. :( 

Well, it confirms what we all saw and suspected last tour. Although, I'd argue he didn't get better as the tour went on.  Personally, having KK back wouldn't do much for me. The loss of Glenn is a gut punch, though. Rob and Richie have become very close, but I imagine it's going to be extremely difficult for Rob to do this tour without EITHER of the old guys by his side. 

1 hour ago, devrock said:

Well, it confirms what we all saw and suspected last tour. Although, I'd argue he didn't get better as the tour went on.  Personally, having KK back wouldn't do much for me. The loss of Glenn is a gut punch, though. Rob and Richie have become very close, but I imagine it's going to be extremely difficult for Rob to do this tour without EITHER of the old guys by his side. 

Yeah, well, Glenn always was way more interesting as a guitarist than KK, but I feel Priest lacks of authenticity with both gone.

As of Rob getting backed by Andy and Richie, well, he already had his solo band for a while and they were just awesome. On the other hand, I’m sure these two new guitar guys will do an excellent job (Richie already does anyway) and Rob will get through it flawlessly, as he did when he went solo —even if he might feel a bit weird by times, certainly.

In any case, this touring Priest is getting too close in my mind to a refurbished old lady whose lifesavers remain liposuction, silicone and Botox —that’s pathetic as hell, if you ask me. :( 

12 hours ago, DBraz said:

Was it like it was when I saw Foreigner a few years ago?  They wheeled Mick onstage after the fourth song like someone's Grandad being let out for the evening on a game show.

My wife said he shuffled around like a sad grandpa in his red pants and white lace up sneakers compared to the rest of the band who were all practically doing cartwheels and 2 story mid-air scissor kicks.

5 hours ago, zorrow said:

In any case, this touring Priest is getting too close in my mind to a refurbished old lady whose lifesavers remain liposuction, silicone and Botox —that’s pathetic as hell, if you ask me. :( 

Freddie and John passed away when?  :P

Eddie Trunk had quite a bit to say yesterday and today that sort of sums up everything. The one thing I disagreed with was that he suggested/wondered if KK should be asked back. KK is not Glenn. Never was. He could never play Glenn's stuff.

Anyway, he's obviously known about Glenn's condition for a few years now, but wouldn't say anything publicly (obviously). But he mentioned when the guys came in to do press for the last album he was shocked by Glenn's appearance (before he was told what was happening). He said he barely even recognized him. He was very thin, gaunt and moving very slowly - that there was clearly something wrong.

Eddie was pretty blunt, though, about the upcoming tour. He doesn't think they should do it, as the band is now down to 2/5 of the original outfit (I say 3, as Scott's been part of the band for 29 years now - the other drummers were like Spinal Tap players). He's been railing on bands that have been doing this as of late. Like you guys said, it's become almost a tribute/nostalgia band without Glenn and KK. Really, that trio has ALWAYS been the face of Priest. I've dropped close to $1,000 to see them in LI, CT and NJ next month. I'm really torn on whether they should forge ahead, but I guess they are anyway. They could survive losing KK. But Glenn? I dunno. Either way, this is a now a definite farewell tour. :( 

17 hours ago, cmatthes said:

My wife said he shuffled around like a sad grandpa in his red pants and white lace up sneakers compared to the rest of the band who were all practically doing cartwheels and 2 story mid-air scissor kicks.

I saw them almost two years ago, and had somewhat of the same impression... not quite that bad, but a far cry from the past. I also saw a couple of moments where I thought Halford was going to drop over, once when he sat down with his legs over the edge of stage right, and once sitting on the bike. Ritchie was on fire. Regardless, it was still a great show and Glenn did shine at times. Just a stark reminder in contrast, having seen them live several times (from 80-84)and then now, that we are all getting a lot older a lot faster than we want. Life is short.

50 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I saw them almost two years ago, and had somewhat of the same impression... not quite that bad, but a far cry from the past. I also saw a couple of moments where I thought Halford was going to drop over, once when he sat down with his legs over the edge of stage right, and once sitting on the bike. Ritchie was on fire. Regardless, it was still a great show and Glenn did shine at times. Just a stark reminder in contrast, having seen them live several times (from 80-84)and then now, that we are all getting a lot older a lot faster than we want. Life is short.

Well, to be fair, Rob was dealing with back issues (again) during that tour. There were times where he could barely move on stage because of the pain. 

30 minutes ago, devrock said:

Well, to be fair, Rob was dealing with back issues (again) during that tour. There were times where he could barely move on stage because of the pain. 

Like I said, "we are all getting a lot older a lot faster than we want. Life is short."

Archived