Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Successful bands' member replacements

scottcald

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

The Eagles money grab pisses me off.

It's funny that people were clamoring for them to tour for a number of years and then they did the Hell Freezes Over tour and I suppose realized that their fans were now older with good paying jobs and would fork out big $ to see them.  As far as I'm aware, they haven't done any new material.  

Queen will remain one of the greatest replacement debates for Mercury, I think. IMO, Morse played himself greatley into DP style. I did nit like it at the beginning. However, the last two records are fabulous. 

Whitesnake kind of reduced to a singer owned brand, staffed as needed. Similar with ELO.

Others like Cheap Trick and Van Halen play the family business style replacing with their own children. And Deep Purple again, they are true replacement band with any incarnation having stamped their own mark to history.

It will be interesting in a few years if many band brands will continue in full refill as the better cover band of all with the right to publish new material on the original name.

23 minutes ago, gorch said:

Queen will remain one of the greatest replacement debates for Mercury, I think. IMO, Morse played himself greatley into DP style. I did nit like it at the beginning. However, the last two records are fabulous. 

Whitesnake kind of reduced to a singer owned brand, staffed as needed. Similar with ELO.

Others like Cheap Trick and Van Halen play the family business style replacing with their own children. And Deep Purple again, they are true replacement band with any incarnation having stamped their own mark to history.

It will be interesting in a few years if many band brands will continue in full refill as the better cover band of all with the right to publish new material on the original name.

Yeah, it'll be interesting.  I wonder if eventually corporations will own the "brands" of bands whose members have passed on and just churn out people to play the songs, seemingly like what KISS will do themselves in the future.  

Dee Snider bragged about Twisted Sister having all of its original members a few months before A.J. Perro died.  They continued on with Mike Portnoy another year or so and then called it quits.  If they stay true to that, good for them. 

The Marshall Tucker Band has been one of those evolving bands over the years.  Both original guitar players and bass player are dead.  The original sax/flute/keys player left years ago.  Paul Riddle was their drummer as a teenager, and one day decided he no longer wanted to go out on the road.  He still plays a lot, just not on tour with the MTB.  Only Doug Gray exists from the original band, but the band he leads today is top notch with some members who have been with MTB a long time.  I saw the MTB a couple of years after Tommy Caldwell died, but they were as close to original as possible under the circumstance.  Now I will see them for the memories. 

Charlie Daniels had a band with changing members until they hit the right combination for a decent run from the mid 70's to the late 80's.  Tommy Crain was replaced, but that changed the music a lot.  The death of Taz DiGregorio was a major blow to Charlie because Taz had played with him since the 60's.  Only the bass player, Charlie Hayward, goes back to the 70's band.  Bruce Brown has been there for nearly 30 years, though.  Charlie Daniels is the star of the show, so when thousands show up to see him they get what they want.  Charlie has been careful about keeping a good band behind him, and changing members has not hurt him. 

We’ve mentioned Queen and Queensryche, so the “Q” remained in my head... which leads me to Quiet Riot: :)

Randy Rhoads gone, Carlos Cavazo entered the game, with Rudy Sarzo and Frankie Banali also in that line-up. And then “Metal Health” hit it out of the park. Talk about successful replacements!

BTW, Kevin DuBrow was Quite Riot to me. Paul Shortino did a great job later, but the band never felt the same anymore. And well, what Banali is doing nowadays doesn’t really deserve to be labeled as “Quiet Riot”, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, it'll be interesting.  I wonder if eventually corporations will own the "brands" of bands whose members have passed on and just churn out people to play the songs, seemingly like what KISS will do themselves in the future.  

Speaking of money grabs, why hasn't KISS franchised?  There could be one in every state. In every country. They could be the McDonalds of rock 'n roll. I can't imagined Gene hasn't at least entertained the idea.

Alice in Chains  - I really loved them in the 90's and early 2000's. Their Unplugged is one of my favourites...but I think overall, it's too depressing. When they came back with William DuVall, I thought it was quite good. Different, but still Alice in Chains. But my tastes changed and I don't really care for it as much anymore. People seem to like it.

Sublime with Rome - Kind of the same as AIC for me, but I still really dig the original, Bradley Nowell stuff. Their stuff with Rome is still pretty good, but not enough for me to listen to it.

STP - I was pretty much done with them after Tiny Music (Which I did/do love)....no opinion on the Chester stuff, but I don't really dig what's going on now. Seems like they're the best possible STP tribute band out there. Whatever. If people like it, enjoy! Not my thing. 

NOFX - neverending cycle of lead guitarists until El Hefe joined. He really helped make them take it to the next level.

Bad Religion - When Brett Gurewitz, left. They kept plugging along nicely, I thought. He did go back eventually though.

Stix? - I know nothing, other than Gowan was/is singing for them, replacing whoever the lead singer is. I don't know if they released any material with Gowan, but he was touring with them..

7 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Speaking of money grabs, why hasn't KISS franchised?  There could be one in every state. In every country. They could be the McDonalds of rock 'n roll. I can't imagined Gene hasn't at least entertained the idea.

I feel like this will happen

7 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

He wasn't necessarily referring to a franchise, but in a recent interview with Billboard, Paul Stanley indicated that he could see KISS carrying on without him:

"The thought of me not being involved certainly comes to mind," Stanley notes. "I'm not sure about the idea of Kiss coming to an end. We've built something that's so iconic, and I think it transcends any of the members so I can certainly see me not being there, seriously. There was a time where people said it had to be the four of us (Stanley, Simmons, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss) and those people are already 50 percent wrong. So I'm betting (another absence) could be overcome, too."

Good he's at least mentioning it, considering the vocal problems he's had more recently. 

KISS actually would be the easiest to be replaced. Who would notice and care what’s behind the masquerade? B)

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

This actually works. My son’s teenager band still exists. Non of the original members still play, although, the band is still operated and managed by two founders. It has even grown over the years. Meanwhile, most of the originals including my son formed another band since the original band operates in a set concept that can’t be tweaked.

57 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

In the beginning, there were FIVE Beatles. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison Pete Best, and Stuart Sutcliffe (original bassist-McCartney was on guitar with Lennon and Harrison in the first lineup). If you count Tony Sheridan, there were SIX Beatles.

If you count Clarence Walker on saxophone, there were SEVEN....

On 2/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, zorrow said:

I do prefer Brian Johnson to Bon Scott, as I knew the band with the former, so I never cared that much about Bon.

I did not see that coming.

wow.

2 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Wait- when did the red head come along?

Emma. She’s in the current lineup. Also part of the reason my 4 year old daughter thinks she’s a ballerina. :)

Archived