Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Successful bands' member replacements

scottcald

20 hours ago, scottcald said:

It's funny that people were clamoring for them to tour for a number of years and then they did the Hell Freezes Over tour and I suppose realized that their fans were now older with good paying jobs and would fork out big $ to see them.  As far as I'm aware, they haven't done any new material.  

They did Long Road Out of Eden but damn that was like a decade ago.....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Journey has had a lot of different members over the years - Neal Schon is the only one with an uninterrupted through-line - but it was when they added Steve Perry that the band really took off. And just when it seemed like they couldn't get any bigger, Jonathan Cain replaced Gregg Rolie and they really exploded. Of course, some of that had to do with the drastic stylistic change that happened when Steve Perry joined and the pop-songwriting abilities of Jonathan Cain.

I saw Journey in 1980 (Rolie) and in 1983 (Cain), and both shows were excellent. The '83 show was part of a two-night stand at The Summit in Houston, and the sound mix was incredible

I saw them again in 2009, with Cheap Trick opening and Heart headlining. Arnel Pineda hit all the notes, sounded reasonably close to SP and I've gotta give the guy credit for his energy and enthusiasm - I mean, we're talking Angus Young-level energy and he never ran out of breath. Did the whole show with a huge smile on his face. But...I still felt like I was witnessing a really accurate tribute band. In the end it just kind of made me sad.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Journey may have gone on to bigger success after Gregg Rolie left, but they were a better band when Rolie was with them. 

..and before Perry joined.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:28 AM, scottcald said:

There have been successful and unsuccessful band member replacements.  Some bands seem to be able to go on without any original members.  This all got me thinking and I'm interested in others' opinions.  Is there a point at which you'd stop listening to or stop going to see a band when one, two or all members are replaced?

When a band is still vibrant, growing and developing within their genre then member changes can be jarring but absorbed within the development of the band and its culture.  (assuming the replacement is successful)  Judas Priest is really just a nostalgia show, and the nostalgia hangs on the most visible of the "classic" members being there. 

Every time I go to practice, I turn one last corner and Charlie Huhn lives in the house on the left.  He took Derek St. Holmes place in the Ted Nugent band and played and sang on five platinum albums.  Gary Moore brought Charlie in and he sang on a studio and a live album with Gary.  Then, Steve Marriott of Humble Pie died and Charlie took his spot.  Lonesome Dave of Foghat died years later and Charlie took his spot.  He's been in the band for nearly as long as Lonesome Dave was. 

Charlie is, for those of you that don't know, a fantastic gardener and musician/singer.  I've stopped numerous times to talk to him.  His significant other does title work for Eric Clapton's mother in law in Cleveland.  It's a smaller world than most understand.  Charlie has yet to come to practice, but he's been known to stand on the sidewalk outside. 

Other than Ringo, I think Charlie's the ultimate replacement.

I remember when Charlie took over Derek St. Holmes' spot and thought he was good but it just wasn't the same. But by then Ted's marbles had left the building, so it didn't matter much anyways.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:24 PM, 0054 said:

On a very local level, New London's own Reducers, a DIY pub/punk/roots outfit held together for 35 years. Almost signed, almost known... great band, Westerberg was talking with them as the were on the same bill, Red, blue or black albume (1st, 2nd, 3rd)? Their Bassist died and they broke up. Better friends you cannot find.

I remember them! I think we opened for them at The Grotto in New Haven. They used to play the El & Gee? in New London a lot too, right? They were cool.

On the big time stuff, The Pretenders. And Yes has been so successful at it, there's 2 bands with the name. Hell, even Asia had that going going for awhile.

48 minutes ago, 0054 said:

I may have enabled you at the Nightshift and Anchor.

Oh my.

I do remember the Nightshaft. The wall mirrors. Ugh. I got our keyboard player there. I was dropping off cassette tapes :blink: to Fernando, she was bartending. Had a few drinks, started crushing cockroaches on the bar with an ashtray, and...

I have some dim recollection of the Anchor too.

If I was an asshole to you, I'm sorry. :D I was young, drunk, broke and angry. Not really a winning combination.

Were you in bands around there in that era too?

Archived