The "Moonless Night"  $4,299

LPC-PSL11068_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

The "Chinese New Year"  $6,699

CS-ART-061_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

The "Chambered Blackout"   $4,899

LPCPSL11069_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

The "Modern Flying V"  $4,499

MDVEBPBN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

I actually think all of these are cool to an point.   And that point is probably around $1500 or so on a good day.   All three of those Lesters I actually think are super cool, tbh, but if you can only have one Lester, generally, I think most of us want something classic as that is the initial love, right?  Maybe if you're really into them, you get a good burst-style guitar, and a good LP Custom.

There's just no way in hell that I'd pay $5k for what is essentially a novelty Les Paul- something to add to the collection.  Stick one of these at $2k, and maybe, but that's a lot of scratch for a conversation piece.  I can't see any of us, if we're lucky enough to even have that much money to tie up into one Les Paul, dropping it on one of these.  They're basically competing with their reissues and what not, and I'm guessing that most people that spend that much on a LP are buying their only LP, which is going to be something classic I would imagine 99 times out of 100.  I just don't get who they think the intended market for these are. 

Maybe @murkat can answer - how much production capacity do they allot to these things?  Like, are there scores of them sitting around?  I could see making some as a proof-of-concept to dangle out there for the hardcore LP fan, but if there are hundreds of these, I just don't get it.  

33 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

That isn't too bad.   Has Jetsons / Star Trek vibe.  Not  a fan of the headstock and the strap button looks like it's in the wrong place.  But  I would be all over it fo tree-fiddy. 

1 minute ago, Ed Rechts said:

But how ironic that Randy Rhoades had Grover Jackson modify the original Sandoval "Concorde" follow-ups because he hated people telling him that he mauled a Gibson V (the polka dot), and then Gibson is replicating the Jackson diminished lower wing profile?

I'd be all over those fo tree-fiddy, too.

2 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

More "terrific" ideas:

The "We were going to do a Silvertone tribute including an amp in the case."  $479

The "Oh, yeah?  Well, we can fake your Chibson!"  $1,199

The "Got started on the Harley Davidson tribute before the deal was actually signed."   $2,999

The "We got started on a Star Trek tribute, but the licensing deal fell through."  $899

:P

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You guys have no idea how many times I have thought about sending a Les Paul to Stike to get a finish just like these new Gibsons.

You’d save a few thousand bucks that way. 

5 hours ago, MCChris said:

Has anyone pointed out that you can probably buy an actual '70s van for $5K?

I own a car from the 70’s, budgets another $5K for repairs. 

1 hour ago, JoeO said:

Looks to me like the Partridge Family Collection...

PFBus.jpg

Speaking of, there’s something at my shop that is starting to resemble that bus, Hamer content too....

Back to those LP’s. I have a feeling if those finishes were on Charvels/Jackson’s/ESPs/etc. folks would be so repulsed. LP’s just don’t seem to lend themselves to shit like that. 

2 minutes ago, Stike said:

Speaking of, there’s something at my shop that is starting to resemble that bus, Hamer content too....

That was my exact thought when I saw that taped off!

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Biz Prof, can we get to work on a forensic exploration on the Fall of Gibson under Henry J?

I think we've fouunnnnd.........

tumblr_o9g4ghdPsg1s3y9slo2_500.gif

.........our man.

<YEEEEAOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!>

The only smart guy in that company is [Or WAS]  the guy that left   [THE CFO ]  He knew what is coming and what is coming isn't good................debt is going to crush GIBSON like a grape...................you can only borrow so much debt and if your profits are not working in the positive to remove that debt and improve the overall profitability of the business..............then you are going [Not Probably].....YOU ARE going DOWN.

19 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

More "terrific" ideas:

The "Moonless Night"  $4,299

The "Chinese New Year"  $6,699

The "Chambered Blackout"   $4,899

I thought these were joke guitars - taking the piss out of a fucked up old company - but they aren't are they - this is what they are selling.

Custom shop breakaway would be good, then they can make a smaller number of good guitars.

I will admit that if this was the late 70's/early 80's skinny tie new wave era, that new V would have fit right in.  It's the kind of thing that today I like enough not to make fun of someone else for having it, but not to buy one myself if that makes sense.

Archived