Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How did you get to the HFC?

hamerhead

Playing off of the "How'd you get into Hamer" thread, what brought you here?

I had just bought my second Hamer (a '94(?) Studio Custom) back in '96 or '97 and knew nothing about them. The interweb was still fairly new and this was one of the first places I landed. Talk about a rut.

The MIK Standard, Newport, and Tally came first. After a while I thought it‘d be interesting to know more. As I was lazy reading the Q&A properly, it took me while to get in since the forum registration was closed. Eventually, I found the way through in 2009.

Time running out.....................65 so...............always wanted a Black B&C'd Hamer Sunburst as Martin Barre  played one in Jethro Tull in the 1970s and i loved his playing and the sound of the guitar. I knew  I wanted to learn more [Needed to learn more] about the guitar and to own one I'd have to go to the source to get that information....................this IS the source.

Kim Keller.  I went to visit the Hamer Factory in New Hartford on my own to meet Jol probably in '97 or '98.    I was happily reacquainted with Mr. Keller who I had met years before in Ohio.  Kim informed me there was a "Hamer Fan Club" and they were actually having an Open House in the fall and members of the Hamer Fan Club were main attendees.   My pocketbook and life has never been the same.

Hamerica

I was on my way to KFC, got lazy, and stopped earlier in the alphabet. 😆

No, seriously, I used to frequent TDPRI. One of the members here posted some gorgeous pics of his Standards on that forum, and I did some Googlin' to find the source. The rest, as they say, is hiss-tree. 

ETA: TDPRI legend Steve Dikkers finished a Tele body for cmatthes in a beautiful dark green sparkle with checkerboard binding. I saw it on TDPRI and had no idea it was Chris' until months after I joined HFC. 

I suffer from adult-onset GAS and started with cheap import guitars like Kramers and Xavieres.  Naturally, I was at the Harmony Central HCEG.  Due to memories of Hamer from Cheap Trick album covers, I slowly moved my way upmarket in guitar to an import Korean Standard and the equivalent of a gold-top Studio, then started lurking here for a while.  I recognized one or two folks from both places, but when you have a call sign like @Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame, it kinda sticks out.

Not sure when I joined, maybe between 08 and 12, but it's been a while.  Can't remember anything else.  Don't frequent any other forums.

ETA: Hey, I hovered over my avatar and it tells me I joined in December, 2009.  So there you go.

I had finally found a sweet Special (korina, no less) after having my interest piqued by my buddy's Mirage that I mentioned in the other thread. I wanted to talk about it how great it was (is) with people who were equally enthusiastic about these guitars.  Did some googling and found my way here. Took a couple of weeks to get approved but then it was immediately comfy once i got in. My profile page says this was February of 2011.

Then Shishkov happened and it felt like starting a new tradition with old friends. 

I still play that special korina several times a week. In typical HFC fashion, that guitar has now been worked on by Murkat, I've sung its praises even more, and have, for some reason, discussed selling it to a member here with a handle with two Bs (haven't we all done this?)

😁

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

Kizanski and BCR Greg.  Met them at the Robin forum.

I'm sorry.  

As for me, I had just bought a Sunburst off eBay (around 2002 or so), and after having some doubts as to whether it was legit or not, I used the Google machine to find a forum on which I could find out if it was.  

It wasn't.   

I don't really remember how I got here. :( I do know why though. I had an import Centaura and I liked it. I should've searched the web and found this forum, I guess.

I was out of music and only owned an acoustic guitar during the 20 years that I raised my kids and started my company (from the mid 1980's to the mid 2000's). Sold all my guitars, amps and PA gear including my two four digit Hamers.

Around 2005 I was in a position to start playing again and bought a really sweet Studio Custom. While I was poking around on the internet finding out what Hamer was up to, I found this place and joined in August '05 and almost immediately ordered a custom guitar from BCR Greg (the infamous Camstone Duotone). It's been expensive ever since. I've bought and sold about 20 Hamers during these last 13 years and currently have 10. I am done selling any guitars, tired of the regrets of missing ones that I have passed along. Plus I am in a gigging band and am really enjoying bringing out various sweet axes from my harem. Have a gig tonight.

Here's the guitar that got me back into Hamer.

StudioTop1.jpg

I found a Hamer Standard (korean) in a pawn shop for $275. Beautiful guitar, wish I would of kept it! Mint cond. natural finish, put Duncan destroyers in it and it sounded awesome.The only fault was the fret ends were sharp ... I didn't realize you could have them filed down ... Hell, I could have done it myself! 

Anyway like others I didn't know much about Hamer and I came here seeking knowledge, although I had read an article about the 4 digit standard being a "Holy Grail" guitar. And then to my dismay, quickly realized that I couldn't afford one  :( 

1 hour ago, Camstone said:

I was out of music and only owned an acoustic guitar during the 20 years that I raised my kids and started my company (from the mid 1980's to the mid 2000's). Sold all my guitars, amps and PA gear including my two four digit Hamers.

Around 2005 I was in a position to start playing again and bought a really sweet Studio Custom. While I was poking around on the internet finding out what Hamer was up to, I found this place and joined in August '05 and almost immediately ordered a custom guitar from BCR Greg (the infamous Camstone Duotone). It's been expensive ever since. I've bought and sold about 20 Hamers during these last 13 years and currently have 10. I am done selling any guitars, tired of the regrets of missing ones that I have passed along. Plus I am in a gigging band and am really enjoying bringing out various sweet axes from my harem. Have a gig tonight.

Here's the guitar that got me back into Hamer.

StudioTop1.jpg

I can relate to that story. When I started playing again after a 20 year layoff I hadn't even heard of Hamer guitars! Sacrilege, I know. After lucking into a Hamer Daytona off of Craigslist I Googled Hamer to find out what I'd just bought and 'voila' ,,, HFC. The humor and knowledge being dropped here made sticking around a very easy thing to do,,, oh, and the guitars are pretty badass too. 

3 hours ago, zorrow said:

I don't really remember how I got here. :( I do know why though. I had an import Centaura and I liked it. I should've searched the web and found this forum, I guess.

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I can relate to that story. When I started playing again after a 20 year layoff I hadn't even heard of Hamer guitars! Sacrilege, I know. After lucking into a Hamer Daytona off of Craigslist I Googled Hamer to find out what I'd just bought and 'voila' ,,, HFC. The humor and knowledge being dropped here made sticking around a very easy thing to do,,, oh, and the guitars are pretty badass too. 

Kind of a combination of these stories for me. Got back into playing learning trying to learn after a 30 year layoff and had picked up cheapie import copies of a Strat and LP at the local shady guy's in-home "shop".  On a business trip and found a Slammer Series Centaura for $50, and thought with my newbie-again brain that it seemed like more than a $50 guitar.  Dimly remembered Hamer as a good brand from 70's-80's guitarist interviews (RN in particular).  Did a web search and found some info here about the differences between the imports, determined that the shop had most likely priced it as a SLAMMER by Hamer, grabbed it and kept coming back here for the info and eventually the enabling.  The savings account is just now staggering out of the trough.

I was taking some lessons from, and doing amp repairs/tuneups for a local guy here in town. He used Hamer exclusively (still does) and mainly Top Hats, and gigged a lot. GREAT tone! I ended up buying a '96 Archtop Custom (obviously that started a chain reaction) because of him... Doing searches at that time turned up a fairly young HFC and I came aboard I think in 2003.

When I worked with music as a full time job I almost stoped playing guitar, between 1995 and around 2000-2001. I still had my Centaura and my JCM800 and 4x12 cab in my appartment. Once in a while I searched the internet for what Hamer was up to, new models etc. and more than once I found the HFC, and lurked around.

Around 2001 I caught the flu and was at home from work for like a week. So bored, I picked up the guitar and started playing again. Discovered it was so much fun I decided I might want a cooler guitar (more in the fashion of 2001) that I looked up what models Hamer were currently building. I soon bought a Korina Artist from ebay, for about 980 dollars. Got it shipped to Europe and started playing. Then I found a 1991 Sunburst, and the HFC again, at about the same time - perhaps late 2001 or so .

My first question here was how a Floyded Sunburst would sound, compared to one with a sustain block or tom bridge. I remember that I got a reply from someone to check out Neil Schons tone, could have been from one of the Matthew brothers, or someone else. Then I got a private message, or mail, from BTMN that welcomed me on board. I really liked the welcome from everyone, and enjoyed reading the flame wars back then. Highly enjoyable at times. And I soaked up all the Hamer knowledge and guitar knowledge that was shared by all the good people here. I have really learned a lot. This place is just solid. When I've had some low times this place really cheared me up. And when I've been on a roll this place has been even greater. But thanks to everyone who put up with my sarcasm over the years. I feel your pain. :lol:

In 2002 I bought my first Hamer, via the internet, and I do not remember what shop it was, somewhere in the USA.

It was a brand-new 2002 Studio GoldTop with P-90's and I liked it very much. Great guitar, great rock and blues sounds, and even capable to do jazzy sounds rolling back the volume. Excellent workmanship as expected.

When I registered the guitar via the warranty card or via e-mail, I do no remember, Kim Keller of Hamer USA told me I should check out the HFC and gave me the web-address.

So I did and I have been a member since then, and checking out these pages almost every day, as there always appears to be something happening.

Also I have bought and sold a number of USA Hamers via the HFC, never encountered a problem. Most of them had to be sent from the USA TO Europe (no CITES-problems), the most recent acquisition, which is my 2007 USA Hamer Talladega Aztec Gold with a bound fingerboard, nicknamed Irma, has been sent from the USA to the Northeast Caribbean. Again a smooth HFC-transaction (Thanks ArnieZ).

Now at a certain moment a couple of years ago I decided to sell my 2002 USA Hamer GoldTop, because I could not stand the 50Hz hum, and I had waited years for Kinman to make noiseless P-90's.

I still regret having sold that guitar, the only USA Hamer I ever bought brand-new, as about half a year after I sold it  Kinman was producing the noiseless P-90's I had been waiting for.

Enjoy the HFC!

Gabe :)

Theft!

I got swindled out of a Charvel by a eBay/Paypal charge-back scam that was going around in 2007. In about 2012 (I can't really remember), I tracked the dude down, and applied a little social media pressure on him.  Rather than repay me, he sent me a SS to make amends.

I found this forum looking for serial number info. You freaks were pretty welcoming. At the same time, the Harmony Central forum I was posting at was seeming a little toxic. This place was more my speed, humour, and age group. Drama is rare, so its much more sincere when it happens....

So like mongrel stray dog, I stuck around....that's what you guys get for feeding me. 

One of these days I'll actually contribute so I can unlock the back stage area...but it might be scary back there. ^_^

23 minutes ago, FrettyMcgee said:

Theft!

I got swindled out of a Charvel by a eBay/Paypal charge-back scam that was going around in 2007. In about 2012 (I can't really remember), I tracked the dude down, and applied a little social media pressure on him.  Rather than repay me, he sent me a SS to make amends.

I found this forum looking for serial number info. You freaks were pretty welcoming. At the same time, the Harmony Central forum I was posting at was seeming a little toxic. This place was more my speed, humour, and age group. Drama is rare, so its much more sincere when it happens....

So like mongrel stray dog, I stuck around....that's what you guys get for feeding me. 

One of these days I'll actually contribute so I can unlock the back stage area...but it might be scary back there. ^_^

Really?,  I'll buy you a Big Mac and send one in for you and your in.

send me an address!

of course I am buying the Big Mac here where I live and mailing that sucker to you.  I'll post the 5 bucks to the outer circle through PayPal.😎😀

3 hours ago, mathman said:

Really?,  I'll buy you a Big Mac and send one in for you and your in.

send me an address!

of course I am buying the Big Mac here where I live and mailing that sucker to you.  I'll post the 5 bucks to the outer circle through PayPal.😎😀

See, this what I'm talking about. :D

Don't you dare!

That backstage comment was purely out of laziness and neglect from me. If I can manage to land a USA Soloist, I should be able to scrape together a little tithe to support a cool message board. That's on me.

You people and your generosity. :ph34r:

ThinkstockPhotos-477998733_wide.jpg,qwid

Archived