Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Let's see those home studios

Lockbody

Can't make a post about how much I love recording vs playing these days and not start a home studio thread!

Mine is combo practice pad and studio, hence the floor monitors and mics in the pics. Not  huge space, so I have treated it to be fairly neutral. 

My board is a Presonus 24.4.2 which I like for its colorless preamps, but mainly for its fast and clean AD/DA conversion. I basically use it as a 24ch audio interface and for headphone distribution. I've sold off some of my older preamps that didn't sound any better than the pres in the board, so I'm down to a couple of ARTs, a Pro Channel and a MPA II. I really got the hots for the Warm WA-412, though. Software is Presonus Studio One on my MacBook Pro. Plugins are mainly from Waves and Plugin Alliance, whom I think I'm going to end up owning all of their stuff.

Who else?

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

CKeeaAC.jpg

L6vwJtR.jpg

I'm not sure I can call this a "recording" studio, since I haven't done any actual recording with it, just mixing.  I put together this simple rig to remix some old 4-track cassette multitrack demos from the '80s.  The basic tracks recorded on a Tascam 246 were quite good.  There was a lot of detail captured on the little cassette.  However the original '80s mixes suffered from a lack of time (the Tascam was on loan and needed to get back to its owner), outboard gear (no channel compressors, very little in the way of FX), and experience (my first attempt  at mixing).  Reaper running on this setup in my family room gave me the time to play around with it, learn a bit about mixing, and finally come up with a good-sounding demo, 30 years after the band broke up.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Lockbody said:

Can't make a post about how much I love recording vs playing these days and not start a home studio thread!

Mine is combo practice pad and studio, hence the floor monitors and mics in the pics. Not  huge space, so I have treated it to be fairly neutral. 

My board is a Presonus 24.4.2 which I like for its colorless preamps, but mainly for its fast and clean AD/DA conversion. I basically use it as a 24ch audio interface and for headphone distribution. I've sold off some of my older preamps that didn't sound any better than the pres in the board, so I'm down to a couple of ARTs, a Pro Channel and a MPA II. I really got the hots for the Warm WA-412, though. Software is Presonus Studio One on my MacBook Pro. Plugins are mainly from Waves and Plugin Alliance, whom I think I'm going to end up owning all of their stuff.

Who else?

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

Nice! I'm almost done with my music room, will post pics this weekend. I'm just getting started with the recording and DAW thing, could use some pointers on plugins, etc. Right now I'm looking to make use of a $50 coupon from Output gifted to me because I bought their Platform desk. I'm thinking of getting their Substance bass engine. I've got the latest Studio One and a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol midi keyboard along with a Presonus Firestudio interface.

4 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Nice! I'm almost done with my music room, will post pics this weekend. I'm just getting started with the recording and DAW thing, could use some pointers on plugins, etc. Right now I'm looking to make use of a $50 coupon from Output gifted to me because I bought their Platform desk. I'm thinking of getting their Substance bass engine. I've got the latest Studio One and a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol midi keyboard along with a Presonus Firestudio interface.

Does the komplete kontrol keyboard come with the sound library? If so, you're going to love it! So fun to play and experiment with. The strings sounds alone knock me out, plus hammond, rhodes, horns. Just awesome. 

1 hour ago, sonic1974 said:

Does the komplete kontrol keyboard come with the sound library? If so, you're going to love it! So fun to play and experiment with. The strings sounds alone knock me out, plus hammond, rhodes, horns. Just awesome. 

Yes,,, it came with the Komplete 11 Select package of sounds which is a pretty huge library. A big selling point for that keyboard was that it had features designed for the NI sounds and included a bunch of them. I'm excited about exploring all the different applications, especially making my own backing tracks,,, and having a keyboard to fool around with has been great. :)

If you're on S1 Pro, you're good for using 3rd-party VST plugins. Otherwise you'll need to purchase the VST add-on.

Like many, I've got a bunch of Waves plugins, but my favorites are from Plugin Alliance https://www.plugin-alliance.com/ They can be a bit on the pricey side compared to Waves, but man, are they ever great sounding plugins, and they do have the occasional sale. I'm slowly purchasing everything they own, and their new promotion that let's you pay off a bundle of ten will probably get me there.

Besides their excellent EQs, compressors and channel strips, their amps sims like the "Bassdude", a Bassman emulation, and ENGL E646 and E765 amps have a better feel and sound than any other amp sims I've played so far. The SSL bx_console E is just about a must have.

9 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

If you're on S1 Pro, you're good for using 3rd-party VST plugins. Otherwise you'll need to purchase the VST add-on.

Like many, I've got a bunch of Waves plugins, but my favorites are from Plugin Alliance https://www.plugin-alliance.com/ They can be a bit on the pricey side compared to Waves, but man, are they ever great sounding plugins, and they do have the occasional sale. I'm slowly purchasing everything they own, and their new promotion that let's you pay off a bundle of ten will probably get me there.

Besides their excellent EQs, compressors and channel strips, their amps sims like the "Bassdude", a Bassman emulation, and ENGL E646 and E765 amps have a better feel and sound than any other amp sims I've played so far. The SSL bx_console E is just about a must have.

Excellent, thanks. I appreciate the helpful suggestions,,, I rely on them actually! I've got the S1 Pro so I'm ready to go with other vendors. So far the only thing I've got other than the NI sounds are some Beta Monkey drum loops.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, Lockbody said:

Wow,,, the demos on the bx_console and the Bassdude look incredible. I hadn't thought of the possibility of playing a bass into a DAW until now. Now I need an inexpensive bass too,,, I wonder if those Korean Hamer basses are any good. I usually avoid Korean models,,, maybe a USA Cruise bass instead.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_bassdude.html

I started with ikmultimedia plugins.  They have an excellent amp sim and mixing mastering processors.  They have lots of sales so you can get started pretty cheap.  Their new amped bass sims are pretty impressive.  I also really like izoptope.  Expensive but they also have sales.

all the guitars and basses on my album were recorded using AmpliTube from IK.

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Wow,,, the demos on the bx_console and the Bassdude look incredible. I hadn't thought of the possibility of playing a bass into a DAW until now. Now I need an inexpensive bass too,,, I wonder if those Korean Hamer basses are any good. I usually avoid Korean models,,, maybe a USA Cruise bass instead.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_bassdude.html

I had one of the Korean basses, and it was nothing like my old band mate's bolt-on Cruise that it was modeled after. I'd get a mid-level Squier, or MIM Fender over one of those, IMO.

Sign up to PA and check out some of the free plugins, too. They might be free, but all are quality. I've got the paid version, but the free bx_rockrack player has some decent sounds in it, too. You just can't change any of the settings in the free version.

Did you get the bx_opto compressor when you registered your Firestudio? I know it came with my StudioLive.

2 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

I had one of the Korean basses, and it was nothing like my old band mate's bolt-on Cruise that it was modeled after. I'd get a mid-level Squier, or MIM Fender over one of those, IMO.

Sign up to PA and check out some of the free plugins, too. They might be free, but all are quality. I've got the paid version, but the free bx_rockrack player has some decent sounds in it, too. You just can't change any of the settings in the free version.

Did you get the bx_opto compressor when you registered your Firestudio? I know it came with my StudioLive.

I don't recall getting that, I bought the Firestudio in 2014 so it might not have been part of the deal back then,,, if it was I probably lost it when I switched computers. <_<

I'm torn between buying a metallic green Hamer USA Cruise Bass 2tek off of Reverb vs. some of these great plugins. If I got an MIM Bass I could probably get both but the thought of having a 2nd tier model of anything doesn't appeal to me,,,, snobbery, hits you when you least expect it!

1 minute ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I don't recall getting that, I bought the Firestudio in 2014 so it might not have been part of the deal back then,,, if it was I probably lost it when I switched computers. <_<

I'm torn between buying a metallic green Hamer USA Cruise Bass 2tek off of Reverb vs. some of these great plugins. If I got an MIM Bass I could probably get both but the thought of having a 2nd tier model of anything doesn't appeal to me,,,, snobbery, hits you when you least expect it!

Go log into your account at Presonus.com, or create one. All registered products have some software available for download.

46 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Not quite a studio, but I converted my garage into a music room. I set up my Mac, Focusrite, and other gear on a rack I’ve got in a corner when recording. I used an acoustic absorbing underlayment below the wood(and moisture barrier of course, the ceilings are 12’, with a couple of 8” x 18”  beams  running left to right mid-front and mid-rear of ceiling that do wonders for the acoustics. The 12’ ceiling is really nice because it allows me to open up my amps (and Stereo amps) really nicely with reduced sound pressure in the room. The drapes are also acoustic insulated to assist in the acoustics. The room is 20’ X 20’, fun room! You’ll find me most evenings sitting in that reclining love seat spinning vinyl.

DE554F07-6088-4F8E-80E6-5115C06B28DA.jpeg20C5550E-979A-43F4-9E16-4139314AD2D0.jpeg

I'd give you high marks for style, comfort, and proper use of a garage. B)

5 hours ago, burningyen said:

My visions of getting a dedicated music room when we moved out to the suburbs didn't quite pan out.

img_3750.jpg

Is that one of those new Apple iTables? Cool!

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Not quite a studio, but I converted my garage into a music room. I set up my Mac, Focusrite, and other gear on a rack I’ve got in a corner when recording. I used an acoustic absorbing underlayment below the wood(and moisture barrier of course, the ceilings are 12’, with a couple of 8” x 18”  beams  running left to right mid-front and mid-rear of ceiling that do wonders for the acoustics. The 12’ ceiling is really nice because it allows me to open up my amps (and Stereo amps) really nicely with reduced sound pressure in the room. The drapes are also acoustic insulated to assist in the acoustics. The room is 20’ X 20’, fun room! You’ll find me most evenings sitting in that reclining love seat spinning vinyl.

DE554F07-6088-4F8E-80E6-5115C06B28DA.jpeg20C5550E-979A-43F4-9E16-4139314AD2D0.jpeg

I'm looking to start a similar conversion this spring. Yours looks amazing!

Nice Traynors! :)

3 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Thank! @0054 Rodi got the Traynor from me a few months ago. Currently I’m running a PRS Sweet 16 Combo, 3 Monkeys Sock Monkey, Laney Lionheart L5T Combo, and a BF Vibrolux Reverb. They’re on the right wall that’s out of the picture, I should take a pic of those I guess! 

That's a pretty awesome amp lineup. I wouldn't say no to more pictures :)

Freshly painted seafoam green and reconfigured... An old desk and entertainment center that were falling apart (and were not suited for what I needed) were thrown out and I bought an Output Platform desk,,,, nice product. I didn't feel like cleaning the blinds so I trashed them and installed some window film instead. You can have custom window film made, just send in an image and dimensions. I had them mirror that image and another guitar silhouette magically appeared between them. With all the light coming through those windows they were a bitch to photograph, that's why there are some varying hues to the photos, never could get it quite right and gave up.

vRMiv3h.jpg

qsTWr2Q.jpg

vcHCC5W.jpg

wbO33YV.jpg

I'm still building a chest of drawers to put in here so I can organize the accessories instead of just cramming everything into that little closet, lol. After that I'm done. A special thanks to the HFCers on the Expert page who helped me pick out some of this stuff :)

Archived