Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Let's see those home studios

Lockbody

Not so much of a "studio" but more of a Music Dungeon.. 

MusicDungeon001.jpg

MusicDungeon006.jpg

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

Nice! That’s also a lovely display with the burial flag. Who served USAF? That’s a lot of USAF command patches. 

Me--USAF retired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, LordsoftheJungle said:

Nice! I'm almost done with my music room, will post pics this weekend. I'm just getting started with the recording and DAW thing, could use some pointers on plugins, etc. Right now I'm looking to make use of a $50 coupon from Output gifted to me because I bought their Platform desk. I'm thinking of getting their Substance bass engine. I've got the latest Studio One and a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol midi keyboard along with a Presonus Firestudio interface.

Alright LotJ, where are those pics?

I just made a pretty decent upgrade to mine today.

1788a-1024.jpg

It's an Aphex 1788a. Primarily known as a live sound preamp, it makes a fantastic studio preamp, as well. Jensen transformer-coupled front-end, all analog signal path, but digitally recallable, these things were five GRAND when new. Clean, uncolored tone with a hint of that transformer sparkle and very 3D and life-like, especially compared to that Art MPA II above it, which ain't bad in its own right. I've just played with it for a few minutes while getting it hooked up, but everything just sounds more "real" through it.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but if the remote control software will run on Mac High Sierra, then I'll be able to control it entirely from my MacBook. Dude I bought it from had two, and I wish I could have afforded to get the second one. 

I can't wait to track some drums with it tomorrow night.

At $100 a channel, this pre was a no-brainer.

51 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

Alright LotJ, where are those pics?

I just made a pretty decent upgrade to mine today.

1788a-1024.jpg

It's an Aphex 1788a. Primarily known as a live sound preamp, it makes a fantastic studio preamp, as well. Jensen transformer-coupled front-end, all analog signal path, but digitally recallable, these things were five GRAND when new. Clean, uncolored tone with a hint of that transformer sparkle and very 3D and life-like, especially compared to that Art MPA II above it, which ain't bad in its own right. I've just played with it for a few minutes while getting it hooked up, but everything just sounds more "real" through it.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but if the remote control software will run on Mac High Sierra, then I'll be able to control it entirely from my MacBook. Dude I bought it from had two, and I wish I could have afforded to get the second one. 

I can't wait to track some drums with it tomorrow night.

At $100 a channel, this pre was a no-brainer.

That's some serious gear there, way too professional for what I'm doing! I added a Presonus Fire 10 and the latest Studio One pro along with the NI midi-controller in my "studio" makeover, everything else I did was cosmetic really,,, oh, and the desk. Pics are above in this thread.

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

That's some serious gear there, way too professional for what I'm doing! I added a Presonus Fire 10 and the latest Studio One pro along with the NI midi-controller in my "studio" makeover, everything else I did was cosmetic really,,, oh, and the desk. Pics are above in this thread.

Doh, I totally missed you had posted those pics! I dig the desk, and especially the window film!

Dude, with that FireStudio and those Mackie HRs (I can't tell 100%, but that's what your monitor's look like), you're able to rival anything I can do. 

1 hour ago, Lockbody said:

Doh, I totally missed you had posted those pics! I dig the desk, and especially the window film!

Dude, with that FireStudio and those Mackie HRs (I can't tell 100%, but that's what your monitor's look like), you're able to rival anything I can do. 

Thanks. I'm sure that the gear will not be the limiting factor in my projects, lol, but it would be fun to try out some of the high end stuff like what you scored.

On 2/28/2018 at 3:31 PM, Lockbody said:

If you're on S1 Pro, you're good for using 3rd-party VST plugins. Otherwise you'll need to purchase the VST add-on.

Like many, I've got a bunch of Waves plugins, but my favorites are from Plugin Alliance https://www.plugin-alliance.com/ They can be a bit on the pricey side compared to Waves, but man, are they ever great sounding plugins, and they do have the occasional sale. I'm slowly purchasing everything they own, and their new promotion that let's you pay off a bundle of ten will probably get me there.

Besides their excellent EQs, compressors and channel strips, their amps sims like the "Bassdude", a Bassman emulation, and ENGL E646 and E765 amps have a better feel and sound than any other amp sims I've played so far. The SSL bx_console E is just about a must have.

Every time I try and surf through the plugin-alliance web page it stalls out, the little time circle keeps spinning around while it tries to load and ultimately fails 9/10.  I've tried at home and at work where we've got the top-end ISP speed/bandwidth and with no luck. Surely this isn't normal? I'm guessing they do so much download business that it uses up all their bandwidth.

3 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Every time I try and surf through the plugin-alliance web page it stalls out, the little time circle keeps spinning around while it tries to load and ultimately fails 9/10.  I've tried at home and at work where we've got the top-end ISP speed/bandwidth and with no luck. Surely this isn't normal? I'm guessing they do so much download business that it uses up all their bandwidth.

I just checked and didn't have any problems using either my work connection on my PC, or the free public internet connection on my iPad.

1 hour ago, Lockbody said:

I just checked and didn't have any problems using either my work connection on my PC, or the free public internet connection on my iPad.

I think it might have something to do with it's search feature. I arrive at the home page just fine but when I do a search for "bx_console E" everything goes to crap.

I notice that the console G is on sale @ 50% off

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, Lockbody said:

I had one of the Korean basses, and it was nothing like my old band mate's bolt-on Cruise that it was modeled after. I'd get a mid-level Squier, or MIM Fender over one of those, IMO.

Sign up to PA and check out some of the free plugins, too. They might be free, but all are quality. I've got the paid version, but the free bx_rockrack player has some decent sounds in it, too. You just can't change any of the settings in the free version.

Did you get the bx_opto compressor when you registered your Firestudio? I know it came with my StudioLive.

Have you tried the Rockrack V3 or the Megadual?

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Have you tried the Rockrack V3 or the Megadual?

I have them both, as well as the ENGL E646 and Bassdude. I don’t use Rockrack as much as I thought I would after getting the Megadual and the ENGL. The ENGL is chocked full of great tones, and the Megadual is a spot on sim, especially if you put the Bx_greenscreamer in front of it like you’d do with a real Dual Rectifier to tighten it up. 

Remember you can try any plugin for 14 days no restrictions. 

32 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

I have them both, as well as the ENGL E646 and Bassdude. I don’t use Rockrack as much as I thought I would after getting the Megadual and the ENGL. The ENGL is chocked full of great tones, and the Megadual is a spot on sim, especially if you put the Bx_greenscreamer in front of it like you’d do with a real Dual Rectifier to tighten it up. 

Remember you can try any plugin for 14 days no restrictions. 

Cool,,, the Bassdude is a shoe-in for me, then I wanted something to get the metal sounds that my amp lineup doesn't cover. Do those specific plugins ever go on sale or am I wasting my time waiting for one?

IkMultimedia is ALWAYS having sales and their amp sims are getting very good.  Their metal amps are not quite as good as others, but they have a great set of Marshal's and Fender amp sets. You can try any of their amps and you get a few free with the amplitude custom shop setup.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

2 hours ago, Lockbody said:

A few plugins are on sale every month, but I had to wait until the Christmas sale until the amp sims went on sale.

I just bought the Bassdude and the Megadual from a guy on eBay. He'll transfer the licenses to me and I pay an additional $20 each to Plugin-Alliance for the license transfer, then I download the software. I gave him $69 each for the software,,,, so that's about 40%-45% off the standard price plus I don't have to wait. I've never been very good at waiting. 

Hopefully it all works out, I'm a little leary of the transaction but he's had several successful transactions with this license transfer according to his feedback. Fingers crossed.

Archived