Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD sorta.....

Ua D

Bought this as a kit a little over a year ago.  Finally finished it up a couple weeks back.  Between a sprained thumb and crap weather, I’m just sitting on the couch so I thought I’d share this.  

Got a custom junior kit from Precision guitars.  Awesome kits with quality wood and great detail 

Plain maple capped mahogany body with maple neck and ebony board   

Schaller tuners (from Caddie if I remember correctly)

duncan custom bridge and jazz neck   

Faber wraparound compensated bridge   

Finished it off with tru oil since I could do it inside during the wet winter.  Lost count but somewhere between 20-25 coats.  Still an extremely thin finish.    I’ll just go witht nitro next time   A bit easier in my experience than trying to get gloss from the tru oil .

I ended up sanding back an re-staining a few times   Still not a professional level finish but good enough for me .  

Also rocks like a mofo.   Extremely happy with the the end result.  Wish I had thought to ask for it with just 2 controls though.  

2C7DF9F6-7973-4CDF-9542-B08079BA378A.jpeg

A68CDBAD-D5D7-4C0F-979A-5F577A878AEC.jpeg

07FE5FCB-26A3-4C92-8FBA-CF99945CD17D.jpeg

54BA4493-E443-4DD6-82FC-5C1ED765359F.jpeg

EF44DA41-5974-440C-97A1-F29A5B186E02.jpeg

73EE64DD-BCD6-4633-8826-AA8511329CC4.jpeg

I would rate the kit as great.  Neck was a perfect fit out of the box. It was pretty well sanded out of the box.   I will be ordering another kit from them for sure.  All the flaws I can see on the guitar now that it is done, were caused by my poor handling and amateur finishing skills.  

Also the amount of sanding I did before finishing was mostly needed because of grain filling and staining the top.  So out of the box it wouldn’t need anything if you were gonna leave it open pored and not use dye, but the doing these other steps required quite a bit of sanding. The grain filler needed to be knocked down smooth, and the dye process caused some lifted wood grain that had to be sanded smooth. 

• 2 months later...

Archived