Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Checkerboard Blitz

donplob

Very few finishes are factory checkerboard.  Hamer had an agreement with Rick Nielsen that he was the only one who could order that finish.  There were some promotional guitars that included at least one Special and a Steve Stevens.  Paul Simon and his son got larger checkerboard finishes.  diablo175's green and black Californian was the last factory checkerboard finish. 

murkat and Stike have done checkerboard refinishes with the 1/2" squares. 

That Blitz looks great. 

Mine is a 4 Digit, all mahogany Standard that Stike worked his magic on...

My Chex Std.jpg

I have an old Blitz in my project pile that I want to do a nod to the b/w checkerboard without recreating it. 

I think houndstooth would be pretty cool but every time I hit the bar at this local mid centurytastic hotel I think the tile work in the entrance is pretty cool too.

City-Guide-RDU-The-Durham-Hotel-600x400.

13 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

I gotta ask - how long does it take to prep and mask one of those? And how do you keep the edges so clean and sharp? That's insane.

I’ve done a couple where you butt up strips of 1/2” Fineline tape and go to work with a straightedge and Exacto knife, I didn’t keep track of time but it was a lot. 

The last couple I’ve done I had a sign shop cut adhesive stencils which does save some time but after the black is sprayed there are still a lot of little square masks that have to be peeled off.

6 hours ago, Stike said:

I have an old Blitz in my project pile that I want to do a nod to the b/w checkerboard without recreating it. 

I think houndstooth would be pretty cool but every time I hit the bar at this local mid centurytastic hotel I think the tile work in the entrance is pretty cool too.

A B&W version of this maybe?

TomDHoundstoothStd4.jpg

3 hours ago, Stike said:

I've done a couple where you butt up strips of 1/2” Fineline tape and go to work with a straightedge and Exacto knife, I didn’t keep track of time but it was a lot.

That's it in about  a nutshell. Tedious. Patients.

Archived