Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell us about your non-Hamer and not custom-ordered preferred axe

zorrow

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

This has taken my #1 spot. IIRC it was put together, painted, reliced by Kip Elder from Orlando's Hard Rock. Bridge is Callaham with shortened bar. Pickups are Peter Florance Voodoo something. Neck is old. I think the name was Fontaine. Possibly Pete Fontaine. Nice Brazilian board and clay dots. It sports a nice Fender decal. Plays super nice and sounds fantastic. This used to belong to @The Shark but he had it set up with humbuckers which were nice but I'm a Strat guy. 

ETA: Nice clay dots too.

fender_lille.jpgholy_strat1.jpg

One of the one's that got away...seriously...

This Baker B3 Fire checks so many boxes. Fantastic neck and blended heel, amazing balanced Lollar Imperials. I had another Baker that many rave about, the Robben Ford model, and even though this B3 Fire shares some of the Ford characteristics it's the B3 Fire that I bonded with, not-so-much the Ford.

280case.jpg

14 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

This has taken my #1 spot. IIRC it was put together, painted, reliced by Kip Elder from Orlando's Hard Rock. Bridge is Callaham with shortened bar. Pickups are Peter Florance Voodoo something. Neck is old. I think the name was Fontaine. Possibly Pete Fontaine. Nice Brazilian board and clay dots. It sports a nice Fender decal. Plays super nice and sounds fantastic. This used to belong to @The Shark but he had it set up with humbuckers which were nice but I'm a Strat guy. 

ETA: Nice clay dots too.

fender_lille.jpgholy_strat1.jpg

It's got lovely dog bite though. B)

My only non Hamer electric. 1991 Les Paul Classic. Great neck, very similar to one of my 1979 Sunbursts. Guitar has a loose vibe to it, just as the Sunburst. Both these gutiars are have that Page'y Zep feel. Bluesy, old school rock. Great loud dry wood vintage tone unplugged, very resonant. Some guitars are tight and modern sounding. Some are loose. I prefer the loose feeling ones. They suit my style best. The ones that would drive Zakk Wylde and is beard crazy with anger and frustration, those are the ones I want. The ones that Glenn Frey and Billy Gibbons would love to play.

28279132_10157066600123362_4596887583173

Lately I've been playing my Jeff Beck Strat more than anything else, and I've never been a Strat guy.

I really like the chunky 'C'-neck shape and the combination of locking tuners and roller bearing nut

make the guitar hold tuning very well.  The stock PUPs never truly did it for me though.  Then 2 weeks

ago, I changed out the PUPs for Duncans.  JB Jr in the bridge and Cool Rails in Mid and Neck.  This

made all the difference, esp. the bridge PUP.  Can't put the guitar down now.  Funny thing is,

Beck doesn't like these guitars, I'm told.  Apparently his road guitars are partscasters, and he totally

hates the Fender Hot Noiseless PUPs.  Go figure...

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Music Man Stingray basses are perfect.  Mine will never leave.  My Music Man Steve Morse is always fun to play, too.  It has been with me for 30 years. 

I never "got" those and always ignored them until I played a Sterling Bass in the EBMM booth at a NAMM show 15 or so years ago.  That really made me give them a second look - the Sterlings and Stingrays are fantastic.  Although they look nothing alike, it reminded me of playing an Impact Bass for some reason.

In keeping with my Steve Stevens theme'd collection, I also have:

Washburn SS-100 #1 Frankenstein

Washburn SS-100 #14 Frankenstein (for sale)

Washburn SS-100 Barbarella

Washburn SS-80 currently being made into a recreation of the Famous Monsters guitar

Suhr Josie Modern setneck #5 (of 5)

Godin ACS-SA glow (one of three made for Steve)

Knaggs SS 1

Knaggs SS2 red sparkle

Knaggs SSC Leopard

PRS Raygun from Billy Idol Story Tellers and Super Overdrive toor

20 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I never "got" those and always ignored them until I played a Sterling Bass in the EBMM booth at a NAMM show 15 or so years ago.  That really made me give them a second look - the Sterlings and Stingrays are fantastic.  Although they look nothing alike, it reminded me of playing an Impact Bass for some reason.

One of my big regrets for not jumping (5-6 years ago)......A two pickup fretless Stingray bass with piezo. What was I thinking? Would cost a helluva lot more (3-4 times) to run one down these days.

I'd cite it as a standout example of a no Hamer/CS offering because it's also an import as well. But it IS modded (shocking, I know...) My Charvel DK24 Super Strat is seriously kick butt with it's uber-comfy oiled neck and super slick looking with it's barren ebony board. The red p'ups & logo on the head stock are a nice touch as well.

Mods include a red JB in the bridge as well as the obligatory real OFR and a toggle. This is really a sweet ride for the $$. It's so impressed me that I pulled the trigger on another Charvel import-  the DK24 Pro Mod FR-M.

Charvel DK24full.jpg

18 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Kirk on Bass.jpg

Me too Bro, I just never wore my sisters hot pants :lol:

If you've got it, you flaunt it. The only ones who mattered at the time loved it. 👍

40 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

You do know, that the only reason I’m busting your chops is because I’m jealous of your legs, right? :lol:

Sorry, I am so used to it I sometimes don't realize.....😎

11 hours ago, Disturber said:

My only non Hamer electric. 1991 Les Paul Classic. Great neck, very similar to one of my 1979 Sunbursts. Guitar has a loose vibe to it, just as the Sunburst. Both these gutiars are have that Page'y Zep feel. Bluesy, old school rock. Great loud dry wood vintage tone unplugged, very resonant. Some guitars are tight and modern sounding. Some are loose. I prefer the loose feeling ones. They suit my style best. The ones that would drive Zakk Wylde and is beard crazy with anger and frustration, those are the ones I want. The ones that Glenn Frey and Billy Gibbons would love to play.

28279132_10157066600123362_4596887583173

500T in the bridge? If so, those pickups rock!!

Mine's a boring old '03 Fender American Standard Strat.  Black body, white pearl guard, maple fretboard, blocked trem.  Current electronics are Lace Hot Gold p'ups and the EC/Mid-Boost kit.  Essentially a 90's EC Sig Strat without the V-neck or signature on the headstock.  It just fits my hands perfectly and I love the tonal versatility.  Nothing to look at, but sounds great... 

9 hours ago, black magic said:

500T in the bridge? If so, those pickups rock!!

No, it came with Wolfetone Legends installed, and the original pickups in the case. Did not care for the weak output Legends. They were even more polite than Antiquities, but where Ants becomes great with fully loaded mags the Legends still sounded farty when I installed fully loaded A2's. 

Right now I have a first year Burstbucker in the bridge, awesome sounding paf. And some mutt paf in the neck, a real 60's paf base plate and cover, but the coils are messed with. Don't know what is done to it, but it's a killer sounding neck pup none the less.

This tele thing I put together and finished with a Wudtone kit.

Swamp Ash body, maple neck.

Callaham bridge/saddles, TV Jones Powertron+ In the bridges and a custom wound Duncan I got here from Zen. Rings like a cannon, plugged in or not and is a joy to play.

B3EF543F-819D-4AE1-BCAF-3FAB4B32B5EF.jpeg

CC014D39-3AEB-44C2-8D45-897DA6C9FEBB.jpeg

06AE0C41-99B3-4043-AD0A-6FE0A0A8B49E.jpeg

My JTV-69S Variax, because I'm a slave to the digital. Changed the pickguard and knobs, swapped the pickups for DiMarzio Area 67/Area 67/Virtual Solo, installed a Roland GK3 kit, and addressed some fret issues. The ultimate Swiss Army knife guitar, and a pretty darned good Stratty guitar in its own right.

bfc6888d-dba6-4bac-a220-240f5a920ea6_zps

In my small collection of three electrics, my Sunburst is the oddball. The other two are Teles.  #1 is just a battered MIM, but it’s my favorite.  I originally bought it for its color, Agave Blue, and its low price on eBay.  

When it arrived, it was obvious why the seller unloaded it cheap; it played like crap. It sounded dead, the action was sky-high (despite the saddles being bottomed out) and the high E string was nearly falling off the side of the fingerboard.  

With some help from Dan Erlewine’s books I pulled it apart to figure out what was wrong. There were thick runs of paint down the side and bottom of the neck pocket. I spent an evening with a sharp chisel and large, flat file cleaning out the pocket and flattening the bottom.  Then I added a tapered shim to lower the action.  With the gloppy paint gone, I was able to get the strings centered on the fingerboard, then tightened the neck down.  

The guitar came alive.  The tone just lit up.  I added a Wilkinson compensated bridge and a Duncan STL-1 and it sounds great.  It has a humbucker route at the neck, so I change that pickup a lot.  These days, it's a Duncan mini-humbucker, but I'm thinking about switching to a Strat pickup. 

It doesn’t matter that it’s beat up and cheap, it’s a great guitar.  

I really like my 1980 Greco SG Special (Super Real SS-500) lately.  Photo credit goes to @Jeff R who recently removed a bit of wood from the pickup cavities in order to accommodate the Dimarzio Deluxe Plus pickups and added the Mojoaxe compensated wrapper.  It's very garage.

Greco SG Special.jpg

On 2/21/2018 at 1:50 PM, polara said:

'63-ish Silvertone. They came with Gibson-made mini-buckers and genuine Bigsbys. It's been re-sprayed here and there and has a non-original (ancient) Bigsby aluminum bridge and a repro pickguard (guard and TRC are off in this photo) and a great neck with low action.

IMG_5306.jpg

Nice!  That particular model guitar is also known as the 'Chris Isaak' model, as he used one early in his career.  I could only find one video of him using one, there may be more out there:

Archived