Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Really Rough Demo of New Song

Dasein

This one is with a drummer getting some beds to re-track guitars too. Here's the original demo I did.  Just really tried to get a groove going with some simple layered guitar parts. Still part of that same adolescent song cycle I'm writing in. This one is about the summer between grade 10 & 11 where I stayed in the basement playing my guitar and wasn't seen until the summer ended and I showed up for high school.

Edit to add: guitar solo is my Hamer Cali. It might also be on some of the other tracks but I don't remember.

I dig the song topic! I really like the repeating guitar motif on the left. I dig the hooky chorus.

When the drums started it reminded me of Robert Palmer BITD.....

I like the tone on your solo too. 

Your voice reminds me of someone.....someone in the 80s.....I don’t know who.

Nice production. I dig it.

Thanks Michael & Jake. I'm definitely having fun with this particular style right now -- The song in Question covers the summer of 85 so that 80's vibe is a spirit I'm trying to capture. A little quirky, a little cheesy, still sincere..... 

Jake - that little guitar motif on the left is the whole point to the song so I'm glad you liked it. I wrote everything around that.  I'm looking forward to cleaning this up and making it ready for prime-time

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts. I'm never quite sure how these fly with folks as a bedroom recording guy so your feedback is much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, coolfeel said:

Hey now this is really cool!  I totally dig the Ace Frehley vibe I'm hearing (KISS Fanboy here).  Are you still working on this?

Ya -- these are the scratch tracks from the original demo workup... I've gotta lock-in the parts now and re-record everything. Some of the tracks (like the bass) were just to work-out parts etc and see what worked (so there's a bit of mix and match going on).

40 minutes ago, coolfeel said:

I totally dig the Ace Frehley vibe I'm hearing (KISS Fanboy here).

Wow - I hadn't really thought of that but I think you are right - it's an 80's guitar type sound with heavy 70's influence - classic rock style with simple but big hooks... that's sort of Ace's thing and I never really put that together about him before.

Here's a mix with proper drums... still cleaning up the tiny details like mouth pops etc on vocals but the mix is coming together and the drummer really came through with his parts. It's a little more difficult to collaborate with someone you don't know so far away - I tend to let people do their own thing and not give too much direction - I like being surprised when something comes together unexpected.... if we were in the same room together I'm sure the end result would be different but I'm very pleased with how this is going so far.

Very nice.     Suggestion.  Consider bumping the volume on the swells (notes?)  as it gets closer to the chorusy part.   Maybe bump guitar during the chorusy part too.     I work in a cubicle do take that for what it’s worth.  Lol. 

Archived