Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Faked Californian on eBay - AVOID (or report)

Guy is a crazy liar saying he spent $1200 on a refin!!! Unless he's prepared to drop his price by $800; it will never sell! I had a 1992 import Diablo. I put a Gotoh Floyd + EMG's on it and had it re-sprayed Ernie Ball Slinky Pink. Guitar stood me at almost $800 and it sold on eBay for around $350. It's an import and regardless of the upgrades, it will only sell at a used import price. Guy is a dreamer...

5 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The cost of adding a veneer or real maple top would make the refin more expensive. 

Absolutely.

There was a lot of work done to this guitar. Not saying it's making it more expensive, but veneer, repaint, good hardware - that's a lot of $$$, more than $500 easily. Again , investing into any guitar only make the value go down, no matter how good you make it sound. But...it's a free country, he can price it as high as he wants, as long as he does not try to pass it for something else. In a couple of weeks the reality will kick in, and he'll bend the price in half... and then some more. But that guitar is a dead weight  for any collection that's for sure.

Just because you dump a lot of money into something doesn't mean it's ever going to be worth more than a regular import.

5 hours ago, ptm1diver said:

If he put $1200 into a refinish, the least one of you could have done is send him a USA Hamer decal.  😏

Considering he's apparently a HFC member, I'm surprised he didn't already realize that the little 'USA' on the end of the logo can make or break a refinished Hamer, as far as authenticity and origin goes.  There's been PLENTY of bad Ebay refins mentioned here on the HFC as a reference.  Regardless of logo, there's also plenty of clues from the guitar itself that it's an import model (generic no name tuners?  I don't think so.).  As in everything, it pays to do the homework.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:03 PM, JustKid said:

In a couple of weeks the reality will kick in, and he'll bend the price in half... and then some more. 

The first part of the statement is complete, although a bit earlier than expected. waiting for the second part. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPORTED-HAMER-CALIFORNIAN-GUITAR-/162918390725?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Archived