Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Headstock Shapes

LucSulla

I have to believe Eddie was involved with this Peavey design, and I think it's an awesome original design.  But then I think was he inspired by Music Man or is it the other way around.

evh.jpg

mm.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love this Les Paul with the Aldo Nova Headstock...

Les Paul with Hockey Stick Head Stock.jpg

1 hour ago, custom53 said:

I really love this Les Paul with the Aldo Nova Headstock...

Les Paul with Hockey Stick Head Stock.jpg

I always thought a Hamer FM Special would have looked awesome with that headstock on. In fact I tried to put an order for one, a few times. Jol declined every order, because he "did not have a case in which to ship it".

Yeah, right. :)

3 hours ago, Jorge said:

I always thought a Hamer FM Special would have looked awesome with that headstock on. In fact I tried to put an order for one, a few times. Jol declined every order, because he "did not have a case in which to ship it".

Actually, Hamer made a couple of 'Electraglide' models, with a Standard (Explorer-style) headstock and a double-cutaway body.  Maybe Serial still has a photo of this one handy:

...and like he says in his post, 'It's in "The Book"'.

I have a buddy who custom-ordered a Tyler guitar and even got a nice custom paint job. It's an exceptional guitar in every respect...except for that ugly headstock. I hated it. Otherwise, it's an awesome guitar.

Never cared for those Dean headstocks.

I never had a problem with any Hamer headstocks. They're not exactly memorable, but they're not in any way unattractive. 

Like others have already mentioned, having to design a unique and attractive new headstock is like getting to a party after the caterer has run out of all the good food and your left with nothing but dregs to choose from. It's not really a poor reflection on the designers as much as it is a fact that there's not much room for innovation given the remaining options and the fact that you have to work within very strict parameters to keep things functional and manageable. 

The first job of the head stock is to balance the guitar, so all these "bodyless" pictures we are commenting on make no sense without seeing the rest of the axe. A Steinberger has no head stock and no body ergo perfect balance. See, it all makes sense in my world.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, Jorge said:

I also liked the Hamer with the Dan Armstrong Headstock..!

DanHamer-1.jpg

On 2/26/2018 at 2:19 PM, Steve Haynie said:

What are the two brands on the bottom, and what wood is on them?  The mix of light and dark makes me wonder if that is some of the ebony with light wood running through it. 

What's the one on the upper left? I like that one!

I'm surprised no one has brought up the classic jazzbox builders in this thread, D'Aquisto or D'Angelico.  Pretty mammoth headstocks on those badboys...

61_NY_head.jpg

daq_head.jpg-for-web-xlarge.jpg

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Ibanez GB10 (George Benson). I think that is the guitar that I have owned longer than any other.

ibanez GB-10.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, burningyen said:

Parker

parker+fly+headstock.jpg

I really did not like that headstock (or the rest of the guitar for that matter) until I picked one up and then it all made sense. Then I was sad that they aren't available left handed.

On March 8, 2018 at 7:57 PM, django49 said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Ibanez GB10 (George Benson). I think that is the guitar that I have owned longer than any other.

ibanez GB-10.jpg

I hate Ibanez's solid body headstock, but their hollow-body headstocks are nice. They make some nice-sounding jazz boxes.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:57 PM, django49 said:

ibanez GB-10.jpg

Maybe I should give one of those a look sometime.  It's out lasted some pretty amazing guitars. 

Archived