Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - I went full cheeseball...

I have been looking for a cheap guitar for playing around the house... this one fit the bill, and my inner fanboy took over. 

If I'm being honest, aside from slightly sharper frets, I'm not sure how different this is from the America Pro Mod So Cal that I had.   Feels pretty rad.  

And the rumors are true... these really are painted. 

IMG_1114.JPG

Haha I remember...1981 I think.. on SNL Rick James’ guitarist came out sporting a copy in the same color...back then, no one did that.. all he did was funk stabs....no big leads. When you strap on that guitar, the amp goes up and ya gotta rock some screaming solos.

It’s a rule. 

And I know you are familiar with said rule!

Man, I don't know if I'll every actually play this on stage.

Nah.... I probably will. 

I would actually recommend.  You can pick them up used for $600-$700 all day long, and it's a ton of fun. 

10 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Haha I remember...1981 I think.. on SNL Rick James’ guitarist came out sporting a copy in the same color...back then, no one did that.. all he did was funk stabs....no big leads.

I remember that.  He did employ a dive bomb or two.   

Y'all do know I am the kind of person to play this in a country band with nary an EVH lick copped the whole night?  Kind of the same reason I wear western stuff to play in a rock band.  For some reason, it makes me laugh at myself even though it isn't a particularly clever joke. 

Though I wear cowboy boots because my pedal board is so damned cramped that I need to pointy tips to get to things. 

Decked OFR, Jason? An EVH with a floating or, worse yet, a back-routed trem is not kosher.

Cool guitar. A single-hum Strat, in its simplicity, is a challenge to play. You really have to work the volume control and play with dynamics. 

Yeah, it's decked.  I really don't like fully-floating trems, and agree about back-routed trems.  I'm also ghetto enough to deck a Floyd on a flat top even it throws the trem a little of parallel.  

I also have to echo what @diablo175 was saying about his Mexican Charvel.  I'm really impressed with the build quality of this guitar.  It's not a custom shop, but it's nice.  It's making me rethink my whole opinion of the Charvel/Jackson stuff coming out of there. 

8 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Haha I remember...1981 I think.. on SNL Rick James’ guitarist came out sporting a copy in the same color...back then, no one did that.. all he did was funk stabs....no big leads. When you strap on that guitar, the amp goes up and ya gotta rock some screaming solos.

It’s a rule. 

And I know you are familiar with said rule!

Tom McDermott, Stone City Band? He's is/was a great player. He could rip a solo or two, if needed.

I love those, especially the black/white one and have come close to buying one many times but I would never gig with it.  Expectations would be high, and I have never learned to tap worth a damn.  I also have nothing close to an EVH tone so it's a non-starter for me, but I couldn't love the look more.

12 hours ago, kizanski said:

I remember that.  He did employ a dive bomb or two.   

I remembered the dive bombs as soon as I read what you wrote....I bet the show is on YouTube.

If you really intend to keep it, I'd suggest putting a repro Charvel logo on it. I think I have one in a parts box somewhere if you want it. 

8 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I also have to echo what @diablo175 was saying about his Mexican Charvel.  I'm really impressed with the build quality of this guitar.  It's not a custom shop, but it's nice.  It's making me rethink my whole opinion of the Charvel/Jackson stuff coming out of there. 

Congrats on the acquisition! That scheme has always been my fave EVH design! I've wrestled with whether or not to pull the trigger on one, always stopping short for the very aspects that make it an EVH- the decked Floyd and the 22 frets. Truth is, I can already do the few EVH-esque licks/tricks I do use on my floating Floyd axes so, there's been little outside of the iconic paint to reel me in on one of those. But oh,  they do look fun to play! Enjoy!

Your mentioning of the sharp frets brought back ((painful) memories of my current DK24 Super Stock. Those little knives didn't manifest until the weather got colder and drier. I've since had them dressed and she's a real player now. I can only hope they've addressed that particular issue with the latest batches coming out for 2018 as I just got word that my pre-ordered DK24 Pro Mod is now en route to the dealer and should be in my meat hooks soon! If it's built as well as the Super Stock and your EVH, it'll be a welcomed addition to the arsenal.

From "Solid Gold", but I DO remember the SNL episode as well!

For guitars I picked up south of $700, this may be my favorite.  

The only contenders are the Peavey HP Special FT, which I really should have kept and no longer go nearly that cheap, and the Hamer Diablo I used to have.  The build quality on the Hamer was better to be sure, but I like the neck profile and frets on this guitar much more. 

So, that means it flat out beats a:

Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG750
Jackson RRV
Ibanez RG7620

The DK2M is the cheapest up there, but the rest of that is well made, Japanese stuff.  Both of those Ibanezes would be Prestiges these days.  

When I get everything back to 0 and look for another guitar, I may actually give one of the Mexican Wolfgangs a look, which up until now have been of no interest to me at all. 

OK - I did buy a PERFECT Hamer Special for $650 some years ago... I try to forget about that one and its subsequent fate. 

Well, I did a rough recording of "Unchained" that wasn't too great.  I'm still learning that ridiculous prechorus, and I haven't look at the solo yet.  Plus, trying to stay in time until the drums come in with no click is a bitch.  BUT - it sounded pretty cool...

And it was also close enough that Soundcloud's auto-copyright software struck it before it even posted :D 

Happy NGD!  I've played several of the promod Charvels (first the USA ones, then the Japan ones) over the years and all were excellent.  I personally happen to prefer chrome hardware on that style guitar (well, any style of guitar) to black too.  :)

But ... your outfit in that picture is killing me:P  

It makes me think of all the tired tan-pants blues lawyer jokes on TGP and how, honestly, they're probably due to switch to tan pants rock lawyer jokes any year now.  :lol:

On 3/1/2018 at 7:33 AM, cmatthes said:

From "Solid Gold", but I DO remember the SNL episode as well!

Wow, Solid Gold - that brings back some memories...  :D

1 hour ago, sixesandsevens said:

It makes me think of all the tired tan-pants blues lawyer jokes on TGP and how, honestly, they're probably due to switch to tan pants rock lawyer jokes any year now.  :lol:

And unlike most of them, I've actually played somewhere other than my bedroom.  :lol:

I actually didn't know that was a thing.  

Archived