Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Karen Carpenter had a special way with her vocals. I still remember those years.I know she was into her brother but, you know, artists.

I always thought their Christmas album was one of the better ones. Until I put the CD on for my wife. And she played it over and over AND OVER until I was begging fro ANYTHING else.

I still do think it is great, and worth checking out.....Once or twice per holiday season. ;)

She had a spectacular voice and her brother was a good songwriter and arranger. I loved their songs in the 70s and I still do. 

That voice.

2 hours ago, django49 said:

I always thought their Christmas album was one of the better ones. Until I put the CD on for my wife. And she played it over and over AND OVER until I was begging fro ANYTHING else.

I still do think it is great, and worth checking out.....Once or twice per holiday season. ;)

"DJ have you seen that Carpenter's Christmas CD?"   "I don't know sweatheart.  Last time I heard it I was busy cutting my  forearms in the bathroom.  Maybe its with the Brian Setzer Christmas CDs."  Jackpot!  Nobody, nobody is immune to foot tapping and finger snapping to the Setzer Christmas CDs.  Throw in the Ronstadt Christmas CD and Johnny Winter covering Please Come Home for Christmas.  Maybe the Leon Redbone Christmas CD.  Seems to me Glen Campbell had a good Christmas album too.  No mo even thinking about the Carpenters CD.  No need for keeping sharp objects away from you anymore!  That Carpenters CD is buried better than Jimmy Hoffa.  Cheers!

caddie

Not only did she have a great voice but it was also the way she used it along with the way she pronounced her words. If you notice there is never any "pop". It's like she has a volume pedal she is always tweaking with each word or phrase. Remarkable. Why I was listening to this last night? I have no clue. I think UTube chose it for me. 

There is one of theirs that has a badass fuzz solo on it...Goodbye To Love. Just a great solo.

Every  time she launches into the “shalalala” part of “Yesterday Once More” it is the 70s again and that voice just mesmerizes me.

With Tony Peluso.....................fine player. Like them or not [I Did and Do] the Carpenters were one of the finest musical acts ever.

46 minutes ago, G Man said:

You all are showing your age.   The Carpenters?   Really?:ph34r:

Well I guess I won’t be sharing my thoughts on Blue Cheer or Steppenwolf anytime soon. 

My cousin always swore he dated her in high school. Same town. I dunno.

I saw an interview with Richard some years back. He seemed pretty level headed given the life he has led.

45 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

There is one of theirs that has a badass fuzz solo on it...Goodbye To Love. Just a great solo.

Every  time she launches into the “shalalala” part of “Yesterday Once More” it is the 70s again and that voice just mesmerizes me.

Jimmy Page did a LOT of studio work.  WARNING:  Psychodelic Rock ahead Parental discretion is advised

Uncut: When did you first become aware of Jimmy Page?

Donovan: "There was Big Jim and Little Jim - Big Jim Sullivan and little Jim Page. Big Jim was the no. 1 session guitarist at that time, the master of the riff, and I think he might have taken little Jim under his wing - maybe got him jobs. Maybe they'd say, “This is a job for Big Jim,” and he wouldn’t have time, he’d say, “Give it to little Jim.” It was a time when there were less producers, less session guys, and they were all pretty much jazz. I’m not sure if Jimmy was asked for specially. I didn't know him socially, because in those days sessions were three songs, three hours. He was long-legged, not-so-long-haired then, dark clothes, bohemian but quiet. Who would've thought this guy would become a giant - the great treasure of the Pagan Celtic Rock of Britain, Ireland, Scotland and Wales."

What can you tell us about the 1968 sessions for 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'?

Donovan: "Many people have said over the years how important that session of John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and me - and maybe Bonham, who said he was there - doing 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' was. I was developing a story-telling thing, and I wanted power-chords, because I'd obviously heard Dave Davies (THE KINKS) and HENDRIX, and knew PETE TOWNSHEND. Originally I wanted to give 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' to Hendrix, but he couldn't come in. So Mickie Most suggested Jimmy. [Musical director] John Cameron told him, “All you’ve got to do is listen to Donovan’s guitar. Although it’s acoustic, the way he’s hitting it is the way the power-chords would go.” Rather than plug in, I was hitting driving chords on the acoustic in such a way that they buzz. So I guess Page listened. Jimmy added power and pagan rock. To this day, everyone wants that sound. And John Paul Jones arranged it, he gave the shapes to those sounds. And of course we really should have stopped the guitar solo, because I had another verse to sing that GEORGE HARRISON had given me. But when we heard this thing that Page was doing coming out, we just said, “Keep playing…” That might have been the first power-chord solo. Mickie Most's office in Oxford Street had an adjoining door to Peter Grant’s. Maybe the band heard how 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' went…and why are we doing sessions when we can do this? And they became the greatest Pagan British Rock Band."

"Pagan Celtic Rock of Britain, Ireland, Scotland and Wales."  (props to Donovan)  now THAT is poetry gentleman!  Gotta be a Zep Tribute Band somewhere named Pagan Celtic Rock.  complete with a gang of little girl Irish dancers with curly red locks of hair.

Pagan Celtic Rock?!!!     a HAH, so THAT'S where Rory Gallagher, Michael Flatley's Riverdance and of course Tap came from!

caddie

2 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Well I guess I won’t be sharing my thoughts on Blue Cheer or Steppenwolf anytime soon. 

Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Janis Joplin, Alice Cooper, Black Oak Arkansas, and Merrill Osmond were game changers for me in elementary school. The Carpenters weren't but they were on the radio all the time and I think my brother had a few of their albums along with some dork, I think his name was Bobby Sherman. 

14 minutes ago, kizanski said:

F Jay Leno.

I read a story about it in a muscle car magazine (it may have even been Muscle Car Magazine) in the '80's.

I was a photographer there. Earl Davis, RIP, and Paul Zazarine were the Editors. Dobb's Publishing.

Archived