Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Karen Carpenter had a special way with her vocals. I still remember those years.I know she was into her brother but, you know, artists.

16 hours ago, kizanski said:

And Richard Carpenter has one badass HEMICUDA.

70%20Cuda-2%20W1.jpg

follow the link provided by kiz & read

"I knew I was fortunate to be allowed to order the car at all, as we barely could afford it, so, no Hemi."  Oh Richard, Richard, Richard.  Poor Richard?  couldn't afford the Hemi,  wasn't allowed to order the Hemi?   Richard lets do some fact checking.   "Close to You"  was a huge hit in 1970.   Dooood!  Couldn't afford it?  Are you another one who got taken to the cleaners by the record company execs, producers, etc?

Well Hemi or not,  beautiful car.  Drive it with gusto!

caddie

2 hours ago, Caddie said:

follow the link provided by kiz & read

Well Hemi or not,  beautiful car.  Drive it with gusto!

Yep. Not a HEMICUDA.
That's what I get for trusting my memory vs. reading the article to which I was linking.
Anyway, I was always a Pontiac man.

I'll hand in my muscle car card.

My late brother had an old tricked out Cuba like that in the early 80s.....that thing would just fly....

My parents were divorced.  I spent weekends with my dad and step mother.  In the winter it was always a long trip to the ski resort on weekends.  I think they call it adult contemporary radio.  I heard a lot of the carpenters riding with my parents.

On a few Thanksgiving weekends my uncle and aunt sent me air plane tickets to come visit.  To this day I remember riding in the car with my uncle and my cousin his adapted daughter.  Was the song called muskrat love?  My uncle was making mocking muskrat sounds.  While my cousin was singing along word for word to every song on the cassette.  This family was and is the real deal.  Anytime someone mentions the Carpenters my mind goes back to that day.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:09 AM, Jakeboy said:

My late brother had an old tricked out Cuba like that in the early 80s.....that thing would just fly....

I had another cousin who had a Baricuda.  I drove it right before he sold it.  318 and I think 3 speed manual.  The car was light.  I remember hitting 90 and letting off the gas because I felt like the car was going to float off the ground.

Also grew up with the Carpenters.  It's one of those guilty pleasures that occasionally gets turned up after a couple adult beverages.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:20 AM, KH Guitar Freak said:

Listen to her drumming. Fucking hell

On their first album, "Ticket To Ride" (Originally titled, "Benediction"), Karen did all the drum work.  A little more 'jazzy' in style, but the signature vocals are definitely there.  For "Close To You" and all other albums after, Karen's drum work was relegated to just a few tracks as they tried to push her to the front of the stage.  Hal Blaine did much of the work in the studio.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:09 AM, Jakeboy said:

It was always the "landing" that was the hard part in those cars.  Drum brakes, LOL.  I'd go for the AAR with the 340 personally.  :ph34r:

21 hours ago, dhuber said:

Was the song called muskrat love?  My uncle was making mocking muskrat sounds.  While my cousin was singing along word for word to every song on the cassette.  This family was and is the real deal.  Anytime someone mentions the Carpenters my mind goes back to that day.

Believe me when I say this, I hate that I even know this... but "Muskrat Love" was The Captain and Tennille.

Your are correct.  My memory is slightly off and I was thinking someone would probably correct me after I typed that.  I'm not up on either group.  It was the carpenters playing that rainy day in the car.  My cousin was into the carpenters.  My uncle was making mocking sounds.  Thinking back I thought it was the muskrat thing but it could have been baby... baby...  It was a sappy part of a song and my uncle was taking full advantage of the situation.

I have more appreciation for the Carpenter's and Captain and Tennille today then I had in my youth.   It still amazes me how when I hear music from the past it take me back to events and places from my childhood no matter what style the music was.  I'm going to shut up now before I dig a deeper hole

16 minutes ago, dhuber said:

I have more appreciation for the Carpenter's and Captain and Tennille today then I had in my youth.   It still amazes me how when I hear music from the past it take me back to events and places from my childhood no matter what style the music was. 

I do too. Back in the day when I'd heard it come on the radio, I would be like "oh God, please put on some BTO" (or something like that)... Like you said, now it conjures up memories.

7 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I guess I'll try not to be embarrassed that I know that song was originally written for the band "America"?  The band that did "Ventura Highway" & "Sister Golden  Hair", THAT America.

You should YouTube their version if you really want to enjoy a three-part vocal treat.

And I almost typed that last sentence without chuckle-puking.

No shit... :lol: Didn’t know that.

I used to say “dammit, put on some BTO” when America came on the radio too.

20 hours ago, bkrownd said:

It was always the "landing" that was the hard part in those cars.  Drum brakes, LOL.  I'd go for the AAR with the 340 personally.  :ph34r:

Told my 15 year-old son the other day during a discussion of classic muscle cars that, all things considered and assuming I had the funds, I'd opt for one of the original Trans Am series small block pony cars:  AAR 'Cuda, Challenger T/A, Camaro Z28, Javelin SST, and of course, the mighty Mustang Boss 302. All of these, particularly the Boss 302, were intentionally designed to maximize short-burst HP with crisp, agile handling. While I love the classic big block V8s, they focused on straight-line speed and thus, pay a hefty price in the turns with all that weight up front.  Ironically, Pontiac never developed an effective solution for a small block mill that they could homologate for Trans Am requirements. So...the "Trans Am" Firebird never really made a dent in the Trans Am series in the golden era. 

On 3/4/2018 at 5:21 PM, kizanski said:

F Jay Leno.

Indeed.

My Mom was a fan. Top of the World was one of the first songs I'd belt out at the top of my lungs in public. That and Jesus Christ Superstar. I'd just repeat the "Jesus Christ" part over and over really loudly. Until the day the school nun principal called my mom into school about it. My mom just laughed. 

Also, this...

9 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

And to think you people gave me shit because I knew trivia about David Cassidy. <_<

Oh.... it was a little more than you knowing some David Cassidy trivia...

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

And to think you people gave me shit because I knew trivia about David Cassidy. <_<

It's good to know a little about everything. Oh the things I could recite about the Chipmunks!

On 3/11/2018 at 8:55 PM, DaveH said:

Believe me when I say this, I hate that I even know this... but "Muskrat Love" was The Captain and Tennille.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Ed Rechts said:

I guess I'll try not to be embarrassed that I know that song was originally written for the band "America"?  The band that did "Ventura Highway" & "Sister Golden  Hair", THAT America.

You should YouTube their version if you really want to enjoy a three-part vocal treat.

And I almost typed that last sentence without chuckle-puking.

...and I'll risk embarrassing myself by saying that the song was written by Willis Alan Ramsey and appeared on his (so far) one-and-only album, released in 1972. The original title was "Muskrat Candlelight," but it was re-titled "Muskrat Love" when America covered it in '73. Of course, like most of us, the first version I heard was C&T in 1976.

But Karen Carpenter - I have always loved her voice, but it took me a while to fully appreciate the Carpenters' music. When that stuff came on the radio in the 70s I was definitely in the "turn that crap off and put on some ZZ Top" camp.

Archived