Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson The Paul?

JimiH

A friend, who was a really good player and producer, had one. Sounded good, basic rawk machine, seemed well made but nothing fancy. I'd want to check it out in person.

Agreed.

I remember when they came out...most were boat anchors.

7 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Agreed.

I remember when they came out...most were boat anchors.

But in that time that was considered a good thing!

Gabe :)

Just now, Gabe said:

But in that time that was considered a good thing!

Gabe :)

Definitely!  It was all about "THE SUSTAIN"!!!!

If your guitar wasn't heavy from the factory, add some Starz Guitarz Brass Mass hardware and fill the control cavity with lead fishing weights.  "Anything under 15lbs has thin, anemic, wussy tone".

That issue of "The Paul" is basically the incarnation of the studio soon to follow.

Good budget Les Paul, "LesPaul" sound.

go try it out. not bad of a buy for a usa Gibson.

Used to own an LP Firebrand, a mahogany variant of the same configuration but w/ different placement of the toggle switch. IIRC all natural-finish The Pauls were walnut. I'd check to be sure that's not a refin, and what kind of wood it is.

"Basic" is an appropriate term, the feel of my Firebrand was decent but a '78 Les Paul Standard later had more gain/punch.

Methinks Gibson may have marketed these lower-end models (including SGs and a solidbody 335)  to compete w/ Peavey T-40s in the "no frills" segment of the marketplace.

I had a 79 Walnut version.  It was my first real guitar.  Ax in Hand in Dekalb, IL refinished it gold.   Stupidly sold it years later.  Wish I had that one back.  

I recently (and unexpectedly) came across a custom that scratches the Les Paul itch nicely.

79TP1.jpgI

I have a '79 The Paul. The Walnut version. Liked the one I had and sold in 1979 that I bought the current one when I found it in '96. That looks like a newer version with the same moniker. Looks like a good price for what it is though.

The one in the auction linked in the op is a 98. They made a 'The Paul II' around 96, then changed it a bit  and called it 'The Paul SL' in 98. It's basically a thin studio :ph34r: with a rosewood board and dot inlays. Not a lot of similarity to the original flat top walnut anchors from the late seventies, other than the name and the outline of the shape. Pretty sure these are all mahogany and nitro finished.

The original:

if6was9-albums-my-stuff-picture12528-use

Local Pawn shop got one in about 6-7 years ago. Beat to hell , only one pickup worked, had mis-matched bridge & stop tail. Electronics were a mess. Picked it up for $100. Cleaned it up put in a set of DiMarzio I had and new pots. It was a good player, had great neck, sustained well, &  weight was not bad. Wound up selling it off a few years later to fund more gear. Like other Gibson of that era , lots of stinkers but a few jewels pop up form time to time.

I thought the original, "The Paul," was cool and had one briefly. It did the, "Hey Hey, My My," tone very well. Unfortunately I traded it in for something fancier that didn't have the tone. But it was pretty. I wouldn't consider the one in the auction to be like the original walnut one. If I were looking for one I'd go for the original from the '70s.

The neck tone with both the Tones rolled back to 8 and both the Volumes on 8.5... Oh YEAH. I have put this guitar in others hands and it rips. In mine it just does the power chords real nice. Rock you Like A Hurricane Rythmn sound is right there though with a nice Gain channel.

OP have we derailed your thread enough. ;) Hope we at least gave you some info.  Thanks for making me get out an old friend. I got it out last night and plan a new set of strings and some playing tomorrow. Ol' Brown Dog thanks ya too.

79tp5.jpg

Do any of you fellas recall seeing a version of The Paul with a red paint job? Same configuration with the pickup selector near the controls, open black pickups, and with a coat of paint?
I don't recall if the headstock was unfinished with an embossed logo or if it had the normal black headstock face with the gold sticker Gibson logo. 
A friend in high school bought his Paul with the red paint job at the same place that I bought my SG in late '89. (our first guitars)

https://reverb.com/item/1620002-coors-logo-gibson-les-paul

I had a 90's black Gibson The Paul with a Coors beer logo that I bought from a friend since he didn't play guitar. My friend won it in a contest. I sold it off to fund my '96 Gibson Les Paul Custom purchase. I wonder sometimes if I should have kept that guitar as it wasn't that bad to start off with. 

Guitar George

Archived