Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Monaco III Freeway switch wiring

jaberwock

Question

Iv'e searched the previous posts here but can't to seem to find a wiring diagram for a Monaco III using a six way freeway toggle switch; if anyone has one I'd be super appreciative of a copy.

The switch arrived this morning, and on first inspection seems a little stiff in use;  has any one used one ? do they require some form of lubrication ?

I plan to fit it this weekend, I love my M III, but the rotary switch makes it very difficult for live shows, hopefully the new switch will change that.

Many thanks Jaberwock

Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.jpg

6 answers to this question

I almost pulled the trigger on doing that mod last year on my M3, but really don't mind the 5 way that much.  Definitely let us know your thoughts once you get it up and running!

9 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Why not a traditional 3 way for the neck and bridge pickups, then a push/push on the volume to turn ON the middle pickup?

I thought about that, but I change my pickup settings numerous times during a song, and reaching down, especially past the Bigsby,  to operate a push/pull pot, would be  slow, and awkward.

I may add a dual gang pot in the tone position so I can adjust the volume separately on the neck pickup.

On 2018-03-06 at 6:37 PM, cmatthes said:

I almost pulled the trigger on doing that mod last year on my M3, but really don't mind the 5 way that much.  Definitely let us know your thoughts once you get it up and running!

Me too. I had difficulties initially. But now I've learned to manage it. It's a fast operation to move from bridge to neck. To hit the quack settings is harder during a song. But it's kinda tricky with a toggle switch as well. These guitars are rare. So I decided just to live with it. It looks damn cool with the rotary.

We have this fast song where I do a lead melody on the neck pup in the chorus. Then need to flip fast back to the bridge for the verse. Played the MIII last weekend actually and it worked as well as with a toggle switch.

22 hours ago, Disturber said:

Me too. I had difficulties initially. But now I've learned to manage it. It's a fast operation to move from bridge to neck. To hit the quack settings is harder during a song. But it's kinda tricky with a toggle switch as well. These guitars are rare. So I decided just to live with it. It looks damn cool with the rotary.

We have this fast song where I do a lead melody on the neck pup in the chorus. Then need to flip fast back to the bridge for the verse. Played the MIII last weekend actually and it worked as well as with a toggle switch.

It's the rotational movement as opposed to an up or down flick which is the problem for me, my natural instinct is to use my thumb and first finger, and then drop my pick.

Archived