Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Serial number compendium with most manufacturers

I have put together a collection of serial number info that includes most major electric guitar makers in one place. I originally did it for personal use so I wouldn't have to cruise the web each time I had a new (used) guitar to date, but decided to post it to my website and see if it might turn into a resource for others. In particular, you Hamer gurus please advise on anything I've missed or gotten wrong in the Hamer section of the piece. Thanks! It's located here:

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/blogs/still-kickin-blog/the-serial-bowl

I'd clarify several things:

1.  The difference between the 4-digit serials and the other number scheme started for "production" instruments in 1977, as that wasn't pointed out.  The 4-digit serials were reserved for the early Standards (until they were pulled from the catalog in the mid-80s), early basses and a number of other custom instruments.  The scheme that started in 1977 with the Sunburst models was for "production" instruments.

2. These serial numbering schemes apply to the USA Hamer guitar line only.  The later Korean, Indonesian and Chinese serial numbers have absolutely NOTHING to do with date of manufacture, and are totally worthless for dating an import instrument.

3.  I know that this line:  "The numbers ran from #0000 to #0680."  was something actually posted on the official Hamer USA site some years ago, but the actual end number for the 4-digit scheme ran into the early 0700s (I have a 1984 Standard with a serial of #0703, for example, and have seen later serial # stamps).

4. To my knowledge, the last Hamer serial number stamped in the shop before Hamer USA was permanently closed in 2014, is #456449.  If you'll check the "For Sale" board here today, there are two 2008 Standards listed, and their serial numbers are #855828 (mid-February, 2008 build) and #856132, from later that year after Crown inlays were temporarily suspended from use under FMIC rule.  Interesting to note that those two 2008 guitars are about 300 instruments apart, and then there were only another 316 guitars stamped from that point until the Spring, 2014 ending of the brand. 

5. EVERY USA Hamer left the factory with a serial number.  If it lacks one, it was either refinished, stolen and altered, pulled from a dumpster or stolen from the factory.  All used numbers, except for Johnny Ramone's white Sunburst, which had characters in place of numbers.

6. Doublenecked (and 5-necked) instruments typically received a different, sequential serial number for each neck, but there are exceptions...

Hope that helps!  If I think of anything else, I'll post it here, or check with Serial on the board.

Yeah, wadda you know?

33 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I'd clarify several things:

1.  The difference between the 4-digit serials and the other number scheme started for "production" instruments in 1977, as that wasn't pointed out.  The 4-digit serials were reserved for the early Standards (until they were pulled from the catalog in the mid-80s), early basses and a number of other custom instruments.  The scheme that started in 1977 with the Sunburst models was for "production" instruments.

2. These serial numbering schemes apply to the USA Hamer guitar line only.  The later Korean, Indonesian and Chinese serial numbers have absolutely NOTHING to do with date of manufacture, and are totally worthless for dating an import instrument.

3.  I know that this line:  "The numbers ran from #0000 to #0680."  was something actually posted on the official Hamer USA site some years ago, but the actual end number for the 4-digit scheme ran into the early 0700s (I have a 1984 Standard with a serial of #0703, for example, and have seen later serial # stamps).

4. To my knowledge, the last Hamer serial number stamped in the shop before Hamer USA was permanently closed in 2014, is #456449.  If you'll check the "For Sale" board here today, there are two 2008 Standards listed, and their serial numbers are #855828 (mid-February, 2008 build) and #856132, from later that year after Crown inlays were temporarily suspended from use under FMIC rule.  Interesting to note that those two 2008 guitars are about 300 instruments apart, and then there were only another 316 guitars stamped from that point until the Spring, 2014 ending of the brand. 

5. EVERY USA Hamer left the factory with a serial number.  If it lacks one, it was either refinished, stolen and altered, pulled from a dumpster or stolen from the factory.  All used numbers, except for Johnny Ramone's white Sunburst, which had characters in place of numbers and possibly, a rare "shop guitar" or two .

6. Doublenecked (and 5-necked) instruments typically received a different, sequential serial number for each neck, but there are exceptions...

Hope that helps!  If I think of anything else, I'll post it here, or check with Serial on the board.

Yeah now! Thank you for setting some things straight. I have tried to incorporate all your suggestions and given you a shoutout of thanks at the end of the section. If you have a chance, take another look and see if it sounds about right now. thanks!

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/blogs/still-kickin-blog/the-serial-bowl#hamer

anyone else with suggestions feel free to let me know. Note I've changed the location on the site to the Blog section. that way people can comment at the bottom of the piece...cheers

Not sure if this helps but to my knowledge, production serial numbers were stamped using ink until 1987. At some point that year,  serial numbers were „engraved“  - not using ink but carved into the back of the headstock. 

So this helps to date especially Hamer USA guitars up to 1987 without knowing the exact build number ranges of different decades. 

4 hours ago, StillKickinMusic said:

thanks filtre_ I've incorporated the inked vs. stamped point. I will look into Heritage and see if I can include them. thanks again.

I wouldn't.

:D

Some edits in CAPS/BOLD...

"Early Hamer guitars (starting in 1974) employed a 4-digit serial number IMPRESSED INTO THE WOOD on the rear of the headstock . The "4-DIGIT" numbers ran from 0000 to the early 0700s and were reserved for early Standard models, basses and other custom instruments.

Starting IN 1977 with the "Sunburst" models, Hamer used a different system using five or six digits for "production" instruments. THESE SERIAL NUMBERS WERE STAMPED IN BLACK INK (Yellow Ink was used for dark/black finishes) ON THE BACK OF THE HEADSTOCK. There WAS a space between the first and second digits UNTIL SOME POINT IN 1984. The first digit indicates THE LAST DIGIT OF THE year it was built and the final numbers indicating sequentially the order of production. For example, serial number: 8 0002 was the second guitar built in 1978. Serial 0 1450 is a 1980 built guitar and the 1450th built.  (This last line isn't correct - the numbers after the date indicator didn't reset every year on January 1st - they just kept rolling in order, and the digit for year changed.  There is a "7 0002", but no such number as "8 0002" ).  BY 1988, SERIAL NUMBERS WERE AGAIN IMPRESSED INTO THE WOOD.

Serial numbering sequence by decade (approximate):
1970s: 7 0001 - 9 1450
1980s: 0 1451 - 9 24192
1990s: 0 24193 - 9 50155
2000s: 0 50156 - present - SHOULDN'T HAVE "PRESENT", AS HAMER CEASED TO EXIST IN 2014.  Last serial number stamped in New Hartford was "456449", but several of the last few instruments were never completed.

Notes: Every USA Hamer left the factory with a serial number. If it lacks one, it was LIKELY either refinished OR stolen and altered. All serials used numbers, except for Johnny Ramone's white Sunburst, which had characters in place of numbers. The above information applies to USA made Hamers only. Later, Korean, Indonesian and Chinese serial numbers are different and are probably worthless for dating an instrument. Big thanks to the Hamerfanclub forum administrator "cmatthes" for help with this information."

tenor.gif

Jay - just paste the url!

wow, thanks again cmatthes. I have incorporated all your changes, most of them verbatim. Thanks for letting me quote you. Nothing like a little serial numerology to make one feel like an idiot. I hope I have correctly given some sample serial numbers now. Here again is the link if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/blogs/still-kickin-blog/the-serial-bowl#hamer

1 hour ago, Thundersteel said:

Why all the Heritage hate on this forum? I don't get it...

Because they suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  

23 hours ago, StillKickinMusic said:

I have put together a collection of serial number info that includes most major electric guitar makers in one place. I originally did it for personal use so I wouldn't have to cruise the web each time I had a new (used) guitar to date, but decided to post it to my website and see if it might turn into a resource for others. In particular, you Hamer gurus please advise on anything I've missed or gotten wrong in the Hamer section of the piece. Thanks! It's located here:

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/blogs/still-kickin-blog/the-serial-bowl

The Serial Bowl is a clever name.  Kudos!

Archived