Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dean Zelinsky’s z-glide neck... BS or what?

zorrow

10 hours ago, veatch said:

Hah. Good point. If it works,  why not do the fretboard that way, too?  And the frets. And the strings. And my shorts. Definitely too much friction there...

Haha...:D

I think Dean Zelinsky is trying to create unique selling propositions. I somehow like his innovations, grandma's neck pattern, the strange toggle switch/pot, the SideKick pickups. And I like flat guitars, I've got an Ibanez SV5470F that feels very comfortable.

But I think an unfinished/oiled neck will always be my favourite. I built a guitar with a fat mahogany neck and just sealed it with a thin layer of Tru Oil – it feels and plays just perfect. Love the necks of my Peavey Wolfgangs, too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their Imperials have intrigued me. Something about a flatter body, but much larger surface. 

There's a USA made one on Reverb now for $2300. The headstock is horrendous though. 

https://reverb.com/item/2018048-2009-dbz-usa-custom-shop-imperial-jr-royale

ns66gkrtwje1zz6ahtig.jpg

The Dean history is confusing.  There's Dean now owned by , then there's DBZ (now Diamond) and now Dean has Dean Zelinsky Private Label.   I emailed them to ask about the guitars.  This is part of the response:

Dean makes most of these models including the LaVoce in a small factory in India, with the exception of the StrettaVita Hollow Body, Tagliare "The Private Label," Dellatera Engraved Paisley, and Johnny Winter Signature. He set up the factory to build guitars "old school" like he did in the late '70s and '80s. 

Hopefully that helps anyone looking to buy them.  

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

The Dean history is confusing.  There's Dean now owned by , then there's DBZ (now Diamond) and now Dean has Dean Zelinsky Private Label.

Maybe one day he'll spawn another brand which makes good guitars.

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

The Dean history is confusing.  There's Dean now owned by , then there's DBZ (now Diamond) and now Dean has Dean Zelinsky Private Label.   I emailed them to ask about the guitars.  This is part of the response:

Dean makes most of these models including the LaVoce in a small factory in India, with the exception of the StrettaVita Hollow Body, Tagliare "The Private Label," Dellatera Engraved Paisley, and Johnny Winter Signature. He set up the factory to build guitars "old school" like he did in the late '70s and '80s. 

I'm totally clear on all that now.

Wait...WHUT?

Well, for me it was always clear those were imports (at least the vast majority of them). However, never thought they were made in India. And yes, the aesthetics of those headstocks remain very questionable, in spite of the (still) intriguing (to me) Z-glide neck —I would really like to try it. ;)

59 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I asked about the India thing thinking it was supposed to be Indonesia.  But, no, he said it was India. 

51 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

But it won't clean the spooge that gets built up in the cracks of that carved up neck.

That IS the mojo. 

15 minutes ago, FGJ said:

How on earth could anyone get spooge on a guitar neck? Are you taking the thing to bed?

I remember playing with some guys that told me what a certain stain on a cymbal was and to avoid touching it.  Either a chick digged drummers, or a drummer really loved his cymbals. 

20 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

That IS the mojo. 

I remember playing with some guys that told me what a certain stain on a cymbal was and to avoid touching it.  Either a chick digged drummers, or a drummer really loved his cymbals. 

Gah!  Reminds of this NSFW scene: 

On 3/13/2018 at 12:06 PM, scottcald said:

The Dean history is confusing.  There's Dean now owned by , then there's DBZ (now Diamond) and now Dean has Dean Zelinsky Private Label.   I emailed them to ask about the guitars. This is part of the response:

Anyone who is drawn in by the words "Private Label" automatically qualifies for the Open Field Contingency™. Contact myself or @kizanski to arrange a time and place to carry out your OFC.

41 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Anyone who is drawn in by the words "Private Label" automatically qualifies for the Open Field Contingency™.

Right?!  How dare they attempt to cash in on the legitimacy of Private "Stock".

On 3/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, kizanski said:

Maybe one day he'll spawn another brand which makes good guitars.

He's an odd cookie but one thing that can be said is he gets people to start guitar companies, which adds fun choices to the market.  The Diamond I have wouldn't exist without Dean Z hitting up Diamond/Diamant to start another guitar company for him. 

13 minutes ago, bkrownd said:

He's an odd cookie but one thing that can be said is he gets people to start guitar companies, which adds fun choices to the market.  The Diamond I have wouldn't exist without Dean Z hitting up Diamond/Diamant to start another guitar company for him.

Just what the world needs: another snake oil salesman.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, scottcald said:

Re: Signature Series, Private Label, Private Stock, et al...

This is actually a thing.

BEC160DA-.jpg

18 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Re: Signature Series, Private Label, Private Stock, et al...

This is actually a thing.

BEC160DA-.jpg

Being an amateur at wiping all my life, I never dreamed of making money at it. 

While on the topic of Angel Soft products, they also have this:

as_lavender

Which brings up Yakov Smirnoff's joke about whether you are supposed to smell the scented toilet paper before or after you use it. 

Archived