Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Its all smoke and mirrors.

Tons of guitars, amps, pedals have passed in and out of my home and the only thing that really matters is if you got it in your hands. I've lost track, but I estimate that over 100 guitars have landed here and I can count on 1 hand how many had that extra 10%, that thing. Well not as many amps as guitars but its the same thing, I've tried so many things and made so many excuses on why it has or had not worked. Biggest turnaround happened Saturday Night at the gig, 1 guitar, 1 amp, no net. Clams Happen, but never in my life had I been on such and emotional roller coaster than after the that gig. While driving on Sunday my wife pulled her phone out and ask me if I wanted to listen to a few of the songs that she recorded and I said yes. At the start of every song, I knew at what point that clam was coming or missed cue. Yep it nailed it every time, but she looked at me and said, "I don't hear that and neither does anybody else sitting out there". You know what, she's right. 

She also played me Gel, which I do the lead on. I don't play it like the record but it made me smile because it sounded damn good. So instead of crawling under a rock, I went to the woodshed last night and i'll do it again tonight because I need it, I need to play like I was 15 again for the pure love of just doing it. 

33 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

.....So instead of crawling under a rock, I went to the woodshed last night and......

....changed out all my tubes and speakers and pickups and cables and.......

She's right  - the only people to hear the clams are the other a$$hole guitar players in the audience. But you know what? Who cares what they think. Have FUN!

Gimme a Hamer and an old Marshall JMP and I'm sorted. HIts gold every time. I need a woodshed though.

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

....changed out all my tubes and speakers and pickups and cables and.......

She's right  - the only people to hear the clams are the other a$$hole guitar players in the audience. But you know what? Who cares what they think. Have FUN!

My co-guitarist and I have entered into some semi-heated exchanges over this very phenomenon. I've had to point out that the crowd doesn't hear them or doesn't care. Or both. Doesn't sway him. Guitar tone was awful/Drop tuning on this song doesn't sound right/ effects preset was wrong/pickup's not the right one for this song/tuning was a c- hair off/ etc etc etc.  It matters to him. Whatevs...  We played arguably one of the worst shows of our "career" in mid - February. We hadn't managed more than one rehearsal in over a month leading up to it. We were rusty as shit. Clams, forgotten lyrics, missed cues and botched endings galore. Crowd was blissfully unaware as they danced their middle-aged booties off in the smoke-filled joint. Got more compliments that night than at any other show in the last 6 years. And like Bubs, I just went for it. I enjoyed myself despite myriad issues with guitar sounding like shit and my playing being meh at best.

Adamstown Boogie.jpg

2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Gimme a Hamer and an old Marshall JMP and I'm sorted. HIts gold every time. I need a woodshed though.

^^^^This. I would add a Hamer or any decent guitar. I've been through a bunch of amps/FX and have sold off most everything and returned to what has always worked for me: Plexi, flange/phase/echo/wah. It was fun trying out all that other stuff, albeit not very fiscally responsible.

You all know the lick - either playing the high E at the 12th fret and bending the D on the 15th fret of the B string up to match that E or playing the E and B on the 12th fret and bending the A at the 14th fret of the G up to that B.

That lick will get 90% of a crowd that is actually into what you are doing every. single. time.  Especially if you make a face like you are pulling a burning coal out of a hot dumpster fire while you do it.   

You can have the other guy on stage do this:

And then you can do that old battle ax listed above and still get more of a response if you sell it. 

You wife is right, no one notices, except, as @hamerhead said, other guitarists.  And I've been in a "musicians" band (more due to composition than soloing).  It sucks when the only people watching your band are the other bands.    

Obviously, I'm not against chops at all, but I think one should be rather Buddhist about it - don't let your desire for the perfect show and perfect chops take away from the joy from just getting to play live with friends in front of people who seem to be digging it. 

Archived