Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Special -TV Yellow or Red Transparent

2 minutes ago, Jack C said:

Wasn’t Hamer’s version of TV Yellow sort of a baby-poop mustard color?

Yes, I was being kind calling it crazy yellow. Almost a pea soup.

8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The TV Yellow was not the same on all of them.  Some are more green and some are more yellow. 

True. Mine is definitely yellow. 

I have had both of them. The "yellow" changed to green. Not so cool i.m.o.

For me the red one will be the more beautyfull (If you can get no black :lol: )

DSCN3354#001.jpg

I have a transparent red one that I bought from another member. I really like it, but I kind of want a yellow one too. I think the answer to the question is whichever one you have/don't have, depending on your attitude.

I have a TV Yellow LP Special with P90's, but I love the color of this one on the 'bay.  The price, not so much.  Some of you DC area folks will remember Veneman's Music having a huge one-day sale once a year back in the day.  I remember at one of those sales they had one red and one yellow Hamer Special and everybody was just walking right on by them.  They were priced at $299 each.

No affiliation with this ebayer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMER-Special-Cherry-Used-Electric-Guitar-FREE-Shipping/173215218057?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've seen a lot of different takes on the TV yellow. Some have said that originally it was much closer to "limed mahogany" color, and that they yellowed pretty quickly, which is why everyone thinks its more yellow than it actually is.  Who knows.

One of the guys who does videos for stew mac had some interesting insight:  http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Bridge_and_Tailpiece_Installati/1955_Gibson_TV_finish_recreating_that_unique_see-thru_yellow.html

Doesn't help that all of the original examples had the lacquer turn yellow long ago.

My first P90 was advertised as TV Yellow. Imagine my surprise when I opened the case and it was avocado green.  This was only a couple of years after the manufacture date. It was around 1990.  After that disappointment I stuck with the reds.

Archived