Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Standard 2006 custom black transparent

Thank god that one has a first fret crown.

Takes away 100% of my interest!  :D

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Thank god that one has a first fret crown.

Takes away 100% of my interest!  :D

Definitely one hell of a beautiful guitar!  Not to sidetrack here... but my question being: What's the idea behind a first fret inlay? Is this meant to be the epitome of "luxury"? At least in terms of crowns and from a historical Gibson point of view? When I spoke to Mike recently I was trying to get my head around this (for specific reasonsB)). I had never given it much thought before to be honest.

Beautiful quilt! A really nice example of a fantastic late Hamer Standard for a really nice price.

1 hour ago, cornjulio said:

What's the idea behind a first fret inlay? Is this meant to be the epitome of "luxury"? At least in terms of crowns and from a historical Gibson point of view? When I spoke to Mike recently I was trying to get my head around this (for specific reasonsB)). I had never given it much thought before to be honest.

It may be an homage to the Les Paul Custom or the very first Hamer Sunbursts which had it. I'm not sure, but I know I don't like it, either way.
I like it sometimes with block inlays (like on a LPC), but with crowns or Victories it looks funny to me.

Ed, a guitar nut is in essence a zero fret, but utilizing the latter saves time in construction and set-up.

It's not a lot of extra effort and time to add a zero fret to a collective fret bed you are seating, beveling, leveling, crowning and polishing.

At the same time, you eliminate not only the time but the margin of error that comes with cutting/routing a clean, level nut slot, shaping a nut, seating a nut (don't forget curing time for the glue) and slotting a nut to perfection.

i don't mind the first fret inlay . my studio custom has it and it doesn't bother me .   but i am wondering why a 2006 would have crown inlays - at that time didn't they switch to victory inlays ? 

1 hour ago, ajm1966 said:

i don't mind the first fret inlay . my studio custom has it and it doesn't bother me .   but i am wondering why a 2006 would have crown inlays - at that time didn't they switch to victory inlays ? 

Special order.

5 hours ago, ajm1966 said:

No - that was 2008.  Victories were an option on Standards until after the first few months of the year.

Doesn’t the zero fret also make the open strings sound like the fretted strings since the open strings with a zero fret are now, well, fretted?

No more binding in the nut or having the nut change the tone....I wonder why more makers don’t use them, other than the looks....

I had to google zero fret.  You all have a good eyes.  I missed the first fret marker too.  I'm still not seeing the zero fret, or can you tell it's a zero fret by how deep the strings are laying in the nut?  Regardless it's still a nice guitar.

17 hours ago, cornjulio said:

Definitely one hell of a beautiful guitar!  Not to sidetrack here... but my question being: What's the idea behind a first fret inlay? Is this meant to be the epitome of "luxury"? At least in terms of crowns and from a historical Gibson point of view? When I spoke to Mike recently I was trying to get my head around this (for specific reasonsB)). I had never given it much thought before to be honest.

I think it came from the Gibson Les Paul Custom and SG Custom days.

I always Liked the 1st fret inlay.

Thats a great looking Standard.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:15 AM, cornjulio said:

They're like those buttons on the inside of your shirt - just in case one falls out, you have a spare. And because it's the biggest, it will fit anywhere with a little trimming. 

Archived