Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The “I Can’t Leave Well-Enough Alone With My Newport” Thread

Since I cannot load detailed pics here direct anymore, y’all will have to click on the Dbox link below.

Ok, got my Newport in Jan 2017 and loved it immediately. Still love it. Plays wonderfully. Incredible guitar. My love/hate relationship with P90s was back in he love phase. The Phat Cats were hot and rocking, and I loved the middle position. They stayed there for over a year. But.... I had this Rumpel Archer pickup that works in any guitar just lying around....actually it was in my Strat and I wanted my Strat single back in...the Archer needed to be in a guitar so I tried it in the Newport. We have a winner and I am in the dislike phase of too-Hot P90s again. I had Aaron wind me a matching neck Archer and I love the aesthetics. They look cool, but they sound even better. Think pole[icee P90 as wide as a P90 but taller like a Fender type. The result is like a Fender on serious steroids with a touch of P90 snot. Perfect. Almost like a Jazzmaster, but way less polite in the bridge. The neck is smooth and the chimey  middle is loverly. Like Josh, Aaron is a master winder and nails the tones in my head. These pickups sound vintagey...they produce old tones perfect for rockin’. 

Just wanted to share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri2dcjc0zjpztw0/IMG_1567.JPG?dl=0

I had a Newport that I kept messing with as well. Tried a few different pups on it. I wasn't crazy about the sparkle orange and ended up trading it towards a Gibson Johnny A. The Newport played and felt amazing though. Perhaps a tobacco burst someday...

Jaded, I LOVE the sold orange color on mine. I just felt the need to put some special pickups in there.

Rob, I access the HFC from my iPad and every time I try to bring pics in here, unless they are blurry and small reso, I get the “too large” messgage....I wish that was the story of my life....

oh well, at one point posting here on the iPad was easy. Not so much anymore since Phuckitbucket croaked. 

12 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Rob, I access the HFC from my iPad and every time I try to bring pics in here, unless they are blurry and small reso, I get the “too large” messgage....I wish that was the story of my life...

Open photos in Preview. Got to “Tools.” Click adjust size. Reduce size 6”x8” or so. Click “Save As...” and rename file. Brings down large file size substantially. 

I use this method all the time when I post huge pics from iPhone or Canon Coolpix. It works. 

Apologies to other iOS users who read my “solution post.” Preview is an app for OSX. I didn’t take into account that it is not included in iOS. 

That said, any basic photo editor can reduce photo sizes. The App Store has an assload. 

I'm on the verge of selling my 2000 Sparkle-orange bigsby & phat-cat-equipped Newport. Yes, it's an awesome guitar, but I'm so busy these days that it never comes out of the case, and it's so mint that I'm afraid to be the first one to scratch it. I should just take it out and play it, but it's easier to grab a guitar off a stand or off the wall without having to dig one out of the case. I guess I'm just being lazy. I know I'd regret it as soon as I sold it and I'd be hunting for another one.

18 hours ago, jaded_musician said:

I had a Newport that I kept messing with as well. Tried a few different pups on it. I wasn't crazy about the sparkle orange and ended up trading it towards a Gibson Johnny A. The Newport played and felt amazing though. Perhaps a tobacco burst someday...

On the Newport I had tried various pickups and eventually went back to the Phat Cats. They are the perfect match.

20 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I’ll get a clip up soon with the Archers...clean and dirty.

Would be nice to hear. I had a classic strat single coil built into a humbucker casing years ago and put it into a MIK Standard. Both neck and bridge. Gibson scale single coil tone with less snap. Love it!

The Cats were indeed a great match, but these, at least for me are better....more snap, sparkle, twang, and clarity and I love how they sound overdriven or with gain.

I thought about slapping the Trons from my Artist into the Newport and putting these Archers into the Artist as the bridge Archer resided there in the Artist briefly and sounded great. But they are more “open” in the Newport. What a guitar. The minute I opened the case back in Jan 2017 I knew the Newport hype was real...even more so when I picked it up and played it.

FGJ, you already know you’ll regret it! Play the Newport and she will again endear herself to you!

Love my Newport. But it takes third place among my semihollows. The Monaco Super Pro and M III are bigger favourites.

Did not bond with the Phat Cats either. I have 1980's 10 K's Hamer Slammers in mine now, much better. Sounds fatter with equal clarity. Just a nicer body to the tone. And they drive the amp like I want. No more tone control on zero and still shrill.

8 hours ago, FGJ said:

I'm on the verge of selling my 2000 Sparkle-orange bigsby & phat-cat-equipped Newport. Yes, it's an awesome guitar, but I'm so busy these days that it never comes out of the case, and it's so mint that I'm afraid to be the first one to scratch it. I should just take it out and play it, but it's easier to grab a guitar off a stand or off the wall without having to dig one out of the case. I guess I'm just being lazy. I know I'd regret it as soon as I sold it and I'd be hunting for another one.

Sounds like you just need another wall hook.  :lol:

54 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Love my Newport. But it takes third place among my semihollows. The Monaco Super Pro and M III are bigger favourites.

Did not bond with the Phat Cats either. I have 1980's 10 K's Hamer Slammers in mine now, much better. Sounds fatter with equal clarity. Just a nicer body to the tone. And they drive the amp like I want. No more tone control on zero and still shrill.

Guitars are funny like that.....I always had my tone on 10 with the Cats...and my Archers are even brighter......but as in all things, it is the sum of the parts. If I am rockin’ a Tweed, all is well on 10 tonewise....into my JMP, Mesa TA, or the Blonde  Bassman, then it can get too trebly...even for me! Loves me some sparkle!

• 1 month later...

Just pulled the Newport out of the case for the first time in quite a while. Man, I forgot just how good it sounds and how well it plays. The neck is great and the action is super low. It goes from clean to a growl with nothing more than digging a little into the strings. I've never played anything with pickups this sensitive to technique... Yeah, I'd totally have seller's remorse if I sold it. 

...and I still didn’t leave it with the Archers...they sound just wonderful, but I made the switch I have always wanted to try...putting the Filtertrons from my Artist into the Newport.

Wow is all I can say..trons are the perfect fit for a Hollow body guitar.

Rumpel Firebird minis into the Artist. All is so good tonewise.

Lol the Trons have cooled the treble content....you know it’s bad when you go to filters to lower treble!

I love to run my guitars when recording through a Belle Epoch...the preamp adds warmth to the tone.

I, too, have a love/hate relationship with the Phat Cats on my Newport. I'll play it at one gig and they sound fantastic and then the next gig they sound too shrill. There seems to be no middle ground. I have thought about putting a set of Filtertrons in it to see if that does the trick. Maybe someday. 

Archived