Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson following the way of GC?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-20/gibson-beloved-guitar-maker-faces-crushing-560-million-debt

I continue to be impressed by how well the LP's hold up in value (at least offering prices), but I wonder if quality will go down as the company struggles financially.  I still maintain that my Monaco Pro Elite's feel and play MUCH better (TO ME) than my original 1983 Goldtop LP.   I will never sell the 83 LP for sentimental reasons, but I really don't enjoy playing that guitar as much as I enjoy my Hamers...

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

"
This pic accompanies the OP linked article. Oh, the irony...

400x-1.jpg

Of course, out of all of the guitar models Gibson makes, Henry would be holding a Firebird X.  It might be an old photo, but still very appropriate for illustrating Gibson's downhill slide....

12 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

At the risk of revealing my profuse metrosexuality, I will remark that displaying any tie knot narrower than a half-Windsor with that cutaway collar is just poor form.

I thought this guy went to Harvard?

Also, he owns America's most iconic guitar company, but can't hold a guitar without looking like a dork.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Also, he owns America's most iconic guitar company, but can't hold a guitar without looking like a dork.

LIKE?

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

"
This pic accompanies the OP linked article. Oh, the irony...

400x-1.jpg

I think the key is in the chord choice, Am 😮 surely a G 🤔

makes me try and think what chord goes with what brand, model 🤔

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

Of course, out of all of the guitar models Gibson makes, Henry would be holding a Firebird X.  It might be an old photo, but still very appropriate for illustrating Gibson's downhill slide....

Exactly my thoughts. Perhaps they should retroactively rename that model the "Albatross".  It would be quite fitting based on a reference to classic literature.

Exactly my thoughts. Perhaps they should retroactively rename that model the "Albatross".  It would be quite fitting based on a reference to classic literature.

Good idea. Henry needs a guitar strap so the albatross--er, Firebird X--can hang around his neck.

FEP129.jpg

“Perhaps they should retroactively rename that model the "Albatross”

Rename it......................................................................................The Edsel

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

"The Crime of the Ancient Concessionaire"

First verse:

See the crime of the ancient concessionaire;

makes an inline a 3-over-3;

roasted maple, electronic gimmickry;

dump the inventory at the neighborhood GC!

19 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

Re-rename it The Edsel by Henry J.

refixed

Now there's an obscure cultural reference (Henry J. Kaiser)!

1951-Kaiser-Henry-J-Front.jpg

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Now there's an obscure cultural reference!

1951-Kaiser-Henry-J-Front.jpg

Nice👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Archived