Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why not? It's only......

All well and good, but the point was that if Gibson was looking to capitalize on someone's star power, they kinda missed the peak here. By 3 decades.

And hell, even Grace Potter has her own Gibson signature model. As a part-time cowboy chord player. That's just AFU.

Good for Viv but "oh for f*ck sake" for Gibson and the small contingent of fanboys and collectors who will buy one. I see this as just one more shameless bullshit scheme coming out of Gibson. 

A tad late, for sure. But Viv is still playing some tasty licks 30 years later...and unlike his counterpart, he's listenable. Methinks FMIC should market an Ensenada-made Phil Collen signature Jackson that has no strings or pickups--just a video game push button that emits an endless series of whammy bar harmonic squeals and horse whinny noises. 

For some perspective, MSRP on an Ibanez JEM777V was $1,499.95 in 1989, which is $3,084.12 today.  An LP Custom in 1959, the highest price LP you could get, was $395 in 1959, which is equal to $3,391.45 today.  

Only two data points, but I think this might support hypothesizing that Gibson's top end Lesters are quite expensive for any era. A Gibson S-400 CESN would be roughly equivalent in 1959 to what the Les Paul above costs today.

If they were serious about a Viv sig LP,  they would have cut a Deluxe for humbuckers and rattlecanned that fucker black.

Maybe I'm a tad against the grain of the target fanbase, but I don't want a Viv Def Leppard LP ... I want Viv fucking DIO LP!

1269283880_1695413f76.jpg?v=0

33 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Didn't know Gibson would put any non-Gibson PUs in their guitars, signature or otherwise. Does anyone know if they did that on any other offering?

I'm pretty sure the recent Slash sigs have the Duncan Slash sig pickups, which are incredible I might add.

I was an instant fan of Viv's playing when "Holy Diver" came out when I was in high school.  The Riverdogs stuff is also cool, but I kinda stopped listening to Def Leppard after "Pyromania".

9 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I was an instant fan of Viv's playing when "Holy Diver" came out when I was in high school.  The Riverdogs stuff is also cool, but I kinda stopped listening to Def Leppard after "Pyromania".

I loved Viv's Dio stuff.   I kept on through Hysteria.  I was getting interested in recording and the songs were put together well and the production was pretty amazing.  I also dug the fact that Rick Allen came back against a lot of odds to play again.  That was pretty cool.   

29 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Hey @Jeff R I have an old early 70s Deluxe routed for humbuckers sitting in storage in Virginia. Has a cracked maple cap and the burgundy finish was sanded off long ago, but the neck is straight albeit in desperate need for a refret. I was pondering having it repaired and goldtopped, but now you have given me an idea....do you do rattle can or should i call @Stike after you do your magic?

Been there, done that, down to the big ass crack in the top ...

Arrival:

18740210_1696618927306951_91348785474257

Departure:

18740687_1696619050640272_55202042481821

Insider tip: You'll save a pretty penny if you sidestep the pro-caliber buillion gold refin and let me just rattlecan that fucker "Viv black."

:)

My part of that gig was everything pre-paint, all the structural/player stuff, and then making it all come together post paint. Spray gun for that gig was Shannon at HEL. He did a sweet job. 

I like the new Viv LP.  Looks cool.  Seems like he grew his hair back.  Hopefully the cancer will stay in remission. 

Can't deny the gold top came out awesome - stellar work... as usual.  Yawn.  :P

Archived