Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD 08 Talladega

Finally going to try my hands at a Talladega. It still needs to ship across country.

Here's the write up on it from Reverb.

2008 Hamer Talladega made in the USA w/ hard case 

Technical specs are: 

• Body: ivoroid bound mahogany, arched chambered
  • Inlays: dot, 1 Victory
  • Top: curly maple
  • Neck Joint: dovetail
  • Fingerboard: rosewood
  • Pickups: Lindy Fralin P-90, 4-way switch
  • Scale length 25 ½
  • Bone nut 

Original owner, this is a player guitar, not a showpiece – frets have been recrowned, pickups replaced with Lindy Fralins shortly after buying – this guitar sings, do not keep it in the closet. 

There is 1 noted scratch on the lower horn (photo circled in blue) and there is some wear on the front but overall it has been well taken care of. The body balance and neck feel great and I’m heartbroken to put this on reverb, this is my #1.

taly1.jpg

I almost jumped on that one. Very nice! I don't have a clue how many were made tho. I found a Mcinturff for a nice price so I went that way.

1 hour ago, duncans said:

how many were made

The numbers had been published once over here. If I remember correctly, it remained in the two digits.

6 minutes ago, coolfeel said:

that is a sweet guitar.  I'm curious how the Fralins sound in it

Here's what the original owner said about them:

The original Duncans sounded thin and too low an output, I still have the neck pu and will send. The choice was between Lollar and Fralin, I have experience with both and recommend either. I spoke to Lindy Fralin on the phone about the guitar, what style music, amps. The sound has people looking at the guitar in disbelief after playing for about 3 seconds with one offer to buy as in "how much to buy this right now". This is a real gem of a guitar. 

Um wow, just wow. This is a stunning looking guitar. It’s a wider guitar then I expected. The quality of it is immediately clear upon picking it up.

It’s light, the chambering makes this feel balanced and comfortable. The neck is also a little thicker than I expected but feels good. It has Fralin P92 pickups in it which look like old fender wide range pups. I have a set of the dd pickups as well if I want to go back to that. The frets and string height are pretty good I might be able to set it up a little better. I’m going to give it time to acclimate to it’s new home before anything else.

Not much time with it yet but from a first pass it sounds really good. Perhaps not as much output as some of my bucker guitars. It sounds more refined then most of my single coils, a touch of a p90 quality but not as raw. No hum that I could hear. I’m digging it so far...

Friday I have the house to myself and will really give it some play time with a few amps and my Helix/AmplfireBox.

I am sure the Fralins are good. But I cannot imagine anyone NOT liking the DDs in that guitar.

That is a great guitar, and I bet those Fralin P-92 sound great, heard nothing but good things about them.

Here are some pictures of my 2008 BT Tally with Kingman P-90 buckers in them, also with the offset pole-pieces look.

These pickups sound fantastic to my ears, however they are not even that much different from the SD-DD pickups, only somewhat earlier breakup and somewhat louder, and the DD's do not hum excessively as I experienced previously with SD P-90's (and also with Lollar P-90's).

Gabe :)

Edited to add: Just noticed that the pole pieces on the Kingman P-90 buckers are closest to the bridge on the bass side, while on the Fralin P-92 they are closest to the bridge on the treble side. Checked on the websites of Kingman and Fralin, it is the correct way of installing these pickups.

Talladega BT SXM.jpg

IMG_2541.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, jaded_musician said:

Finally going to try my hands at a Talladega. It still needs to ship across country.

Here's the write up on it from Reverb.

2008 Hamer Talladega made in the USA w/ hard case 

Technical specs are: 

• Body: ivoroid bound mahogany, arched chambered
  • Inlays: dot, 1 Victory
  • Top: curly maple
  • Neck Joint: dovetail
  • Fingerboard: rosewood
  • Pickups: Lindy Fralin P-90, 4-way switch
  • Scale length 25 ½
  • Bone nut 

Original owner, this is a player guitar, not a showpiece – frets have been recrowned, pickups replaced with Lindy Fralins shortly after buying – this guitar sings, do not keep it in the closet. 

There is 1 noted scratch on the lower horn (photo circled in blue) and there is some wear on the front but overall it has been well taken care of. The body balance and neck feel great and I’m heartbroken to put this on reverb, this is my #1.

taly1.jpg

a beauty! I love the V necks on those Tallys

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

So your thinking is I should flip them around? I was thinking of trying the DD's in it but if you think its worth keeping I'll try it. I really enjoy what the Fralin's are doing.

In looking at the pickup websites, it looks like they are both installed as intended. So Kingman's bass side closest to the bridge. Fralin's have the treble side closest.

4 hours ago, jaded_musician said:

So your thinking is I should flip them around? I was thinking of trying the DD's in it but if you think its worth keeping I'll try it. I really enjoy what the Fralin's are doing.

No, do not flip them around, Both yours and mine are installed as they are supposed to be installed. 

Just different. 

Gabe 😃

2 hours ago, jaded_musician said:

A new picture for good measure

IMG_7534.jpg

A wonderful real beauty. 

Enjoy it!

and please let us know how the DD’s compare to the P-92’s. 

Gabe 😃

Archived