Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Korean Hamer Standard Pickup Replacment

So I have a 1990s Korean Hamer Standard. I’m wanting to upgrade the bridge pickup. It has the stock Duncan Designed, they seam a little to bright and thin for me. I’m looking for a more thicker sound. I play in a cover band so I’m looking for something versatile. I have a 70s reissue LP with the dirty fingers and I love the sound it makes I’d like to get close to that sound. Is there certain pickups that you guys reccomend for these guitars that can get me the results I’m looking for?

I would love to see a picture of your guitar. :) 

As of the pickups, I personally liked the Duncan Distortion on a guitar like that one I had once. But maybe you might want to try the Dirty Fingers as well? I dunno, you already like them, and it’s still a mahogany guitar, so... ;) 

Zorrow, the first import Standards came in all maple- body and neck.  I don't know if they were all that way, but I've got a maple one up in the for sale section at the moment.  I found the Duncan Designed bright as well and replaced with GFS Alnico 2s.  That tamed it.

Welcome aboard, Big Fwosty!

10 hours ago, zorrow said:

I would love to see a picture of your guitar. :) 

As of the pickups, I personally liked the Duncan Distortion on a guitar like that one I had once. But maybe you might want to try the Dirty Fingers as well? I dunno, you already like them, and it’s still a mahogany guitar, so... ;) 

Hey man, the model I have I believe has an Alder body and Maple neck, it has a lighter sound so I wasnt sure if the Dirty Fingers would do the trick. Here’s a pic of her

542391A0-E2C9-43F3-A26C-DB2CBEB8C978.jpeg

10 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Zorrow, the first import Standards came in all maple- body and neck.  I don't know if they were all that way, but I've got a maple one up in the for sale section at the moment.  I found the Duncan Designed bright as well and replaced with GFS Alnico 2s.  That tamed it.

Welcome aboard, Big Fwosty!

Near the end of there run I believe they went Alder body and Maple necks. It’s pretty light so im sure it’s not Maple. I think that’s what makes it so bright. 

Thank you, happy to be here :)

This kind of series had been all alder, body and neck. I have one myself and swapped many pickups over the years. Anything with more depth had been sounding a bit muddy in my ear after a while. Actually, the best sounding for what you are up to had been SD Phat Cats.

Eventually, I went for custom made strat single coils in humbucker form. But that would be out of scope I think.

20 minutes ago, gorch said:

This kind of series had been all alder, body and neck. I have one myself and swapped many pickups over the years. Anything with more depth had been sounding a bit muddy in my ear after a while. Actually, the best sounding for what you are up to had been SD Phat Cats.

Eventually, I went for custom made strat single coils in humbucker form. But that would be out of scope I think.

Really I always thought the neck was maple, thank you. Do the Phat Cats have a pretty Clear tone distorted and clean?

5 hours ago, Big Fwosty said:

Really I always thought the neck was maple, thank you. Do the Phat Cats have a pretty Clear tone distorted and clean?

Yes, I would say so. Assumed you are playing in a cover band, I would assume that they separate nicely from the bass player for their tele vibe. The Phat Cats are pretty hot for rocking tones, but also stay clean on lowered volume. The control is in your hands though. You could also cut some bite dialing the tone control down a bit. It might take a bit to find the sweet spots for various songs.

My Standard is very resonate. The thin neck has the tones swing up while cutting on sustain a bit. It behaves absolutely different to my USA Standards. Mahogany fuels the humbuckers more while alder fuels single coils, in that regard.

Since everyone has a different ear, you’d might have to give it a try and pull the soldering iron out. The one on the left is the guitar questioned.

3 Explorers

Archived