Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: ES-335 Studio

What a rowdy deal from the guys at Chicago Music Exchange!  Picked this up on their St. Paddy's day sale.  Floor unit in basically mint condition.  Came out of the box ready to go, set up with fresh strings.  I could have taken it pretty mush straight from the case and started playing.  

Couple of quick pics I took.  This wine red is really something else... it's deep and has almost a burst quality on the back of the neck.  The ONLY things this doesn't have that is on a standard ES-335 that I wish it did is a rosewood board.  Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd change a thing.  

I know we're all supposed to hate Gibson, but this is the 6th one I've bought that was made within the last 10 years that is really a solid guitar.  

WH60tKS.jpg

VwSxXwX.jpg

15 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

Nice! I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm enjoying my recent ES purchase as well!

They should give you a cut on this one.  Your post is what sold it.  I hadn't even considered it until I saw yours. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

When you close your eyes can you feel any difference between the Studio and a regular ES-335? 

I haven't played enough ES-335s to know really. My only experience with them otherwise is the Heritage 535 I used to own.  

To the spirit of your question though, no, I don't, and I don't think I would if I had more experience. 

Congrats, nice score! For the record, I do not hate Gibsons, I actually love the ones I have.

I have used the wound strings as a ‘file’ to make the nut fit looser when they were too tight. Worked good, just be careful... it’s harder to screw things up like that than with a real file tho.

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

I have used the wound strings as a ‘file’ to make the nut fit looser when they were too tight. Worked good, just be careful... it’s harder to screw things up like that than with a real file tho.

I'm actually done that before too, now that you mention it.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to update this a bit.  The nut on the guitar was terrible.  The only good thing I can say about it is that it wasn't cut too much, so it could be tweaked without having to replace it.  But the D, G, and B string slots were cut little better than just good enough to know where the slots were supposed to be.  I have some jewelers files and was able to widen the slots and cut the back angles properly, but a lot of people would have been scared to do that and probably would end up paying $50-$100 to a luthier to make a new guitar playable.  I don't think a guitar that lists for $1800 should have a nut that rendered the guitar unplayable when it is new.  I can forgive things like neck bow and intonation.  With shipping and all that, I'm not shocked when that takes a little work.  But a static part like the nut... really should have been better. 

Archived