Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I think I am close to the end.

My wife and I are just approaching 20 years together. Last week was the first time she looked me in the eyes and said "Do you think you'll ever be done.". I looked her in the eyes, took a swig of my coffee and said nothing. I think it was a challenge or just pure evil mind games. Its been a week and I've still haven't answered her. Maybe I don't know the answer, maybe I do. I don't think I know any other way. 

I honestly don't know what I would do with myself, what do normal people do? Ha, look who i'm asking! WWMD? Maybe its all just deep seeded commitment issues. 

I do like a good challenge. Just me and a harem of Shishkovs,  East Amplifiers, 10" Speakers all top off with some Way Huge Pedals. Let me just chew on that for a while. 

Discuss amongst yourselves, start tidying up the dates on the list of pools, get with your bookies. Things may just start to get strange er er. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Last week was the first time she looked me in the eyes and said "Do you think you'll ever be done.".

The short answer to this is, of course, "Yes".

No one lives forever...

And consider these points - 

• Keeping an interest in anything keeps your mind sharp;
  • There are far worse hobbies;
  • You gave up drinking and whoring for guitars...

Only two reasons it could be a problem I can find are does it affect the cash flow for your family's Life and is it affecting the Love you have in your Life? If the answers are No to each, then the quest continues for Sonic Goodness.

Money, not a problem. I'm actually pretty cheap/frugal. No cable, no smartphone, no car payments, like 14months from the house being paid off, second kid will be in school this fall, so minimal daycare expenses. Fark, now that I think of it, maybe this is prime time to up the game!  :o

Seriously though I've played the last 8 gigs with 6 different amps even the band is starting to think i've lost it. They are a gear whores too! Each gig, "Damn another amp?", "Damn that amp sounds good!", rinse and repeat. 

1 minute ago, hamerhead said:

20 years?!? You got at least 10 more before she gets really pissed.

I still remember the first time she came to my parents house, when to my closet to hang some clothes and I had a stack of 12 Charvel Tweed Cases in the closet. LOL 

Is she as content with no cable and smartphone as you are ?  Does she have enough cash flow for herself  to pursue her interests or does surplus cash just go to the music fund ? Make sure everyone is on the same page. 

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

20 years?!? You got at least 10 more before she gets really pissed.

Nah - I just hit 31 years, she hasn't smothered me in my sleep yet.  And that's knowing I have an amp coming, I'm going guitar shopping Saturday, and may do another custom order later this year.

So it's probably more like 15-20 years left.

33 years in here. I am not sure, but I may have a guitar or two I have owned longer than that.

She has just gotten to the point of rolling her eyes and laughing. Not that it hurts her feelings when something is packed up for transit to FedEx, yunnerstan'.....

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I still remember the first time she came to my parents house, when to my closet to hang some clothes and I had a stack of 12 Charvel Tweed Cases in the closet. LOL 

oooooh, 12 Charvel tweed cases? Awesome.

I guess that's not the point of the thread tho.....

(which explains why I'll die alone)

9 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Seriously though I've played the last 8 gigs with 6 different amps even the band is starting to think i've lost it. They are a gear whores too! Each gig, "Damn another amp?", "Damn that amp sounds good!", rinse and repeat. 

Maybe this is why you are never satisified? Just playing Devils advocate. I have played Marshall's all my life, and 80's Rivera Fenders. I don't diviate from that, as I know how to get great tone from them. It's easy for me. And if something does not sound right I've learned what I should mess with to get it right.

I play almost exclusively Hamer's, as I know them so well. And I use the same type of pickups, Dimarzio's and Duncan's in all my humbucker guitars. 

And for pedals... Hell, I still use pedals that I bought in the 80's. Got some new. But I take time to learn how they work sonically. This can take time, with amps, guitars and pedals. Everytime I ad or replace something in my equation I need to retune part of the rig. I'm lazy, so I stay with what works. 

@Disturber you got it, I think its time to just shut the train down. I'm going to take some time this weekend, make a list and go. We are going all in then. Board is solidified, Amp is Solidified, Guitars Solidified. I will liquidate and order my Shishkov. THEN WHAT, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

10 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Well then, you gave her good, fair warning. She knew what she was getting in to!

12 minutes ago, DaveH said:

As the same said by the guy on his second marriage. 😂

Ha! Seriously though, its time and I know it. She would never MAKE me do it, I think she was just pointed out the obvious. 

My gear buying issues ended many years ago.

When my guitar collection reached 50+ and my tube amp collection was 20+, it was then able to support itself.

I sell what ever guitars or amps it takes to buy the new gear I bring into the collection.

My wife could care less what I buy because it doesn't involve "Family" money.

She's happy and I'm always on the lookout for my next purchase.

Archived