Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Which USA Hamer should I get?

keef

Question

Hi everyone – my first post here. I need some honest advice on Hamers, since I really want to own one again, but don’t know which would suit me best (if any).

I noticed that some diehard Hamer fans seem to go overboard in their praises – ‘fit and finish much better than any Gibson, beats a Les Paul in tone and playability’ and the like. I don’t believe in these (or any) hypes, and am only looking for those great/special guitars, regardless of their brand. I also never understood the workmanship kudos since so many older Hamers had binding or finish ('hameritis') issues which should not have been there in the first place, and should neither be pardoned. I add though that I do not have an issue with these flaws, as long as a guitar is a truly great playing and sounding instrument, and have always found Hamers to be totally cool designs. I currently own a variety of vintage and modern Gibsons, Fenders and Martins, plus some oddball stuff, but no Hamers, and that must change.;)

I am thinking of going for either a 1980/1 Hamer Special, or a 1990s Hamer Artist, Archtop FM, or Special FM etc. I had a ’93 Archtop for a while, but sold it because it sounded a little too thin for my tastes  – I like a solid, full blooded rock tone a la Kossoff or Angus – plus the (3 piece) neck was too temperamental, and required adjustment during the seasons changes (never had this issue with any guitar I’ve owned, and there are/were many). I loved the lighter weight and nice playability though.

So what is the best sounding Hamer of the above in your opinion – the early 80s ones with the Dimarzios, or the 1990s with the Duncans, or is there not really much of a difference, and would a Hamer’s lead tone always sounds less fat/authoritative than a decent Les Paul, or was I just unlucky with my Archtop?

And what about any tonal difference between 1) the sustain block bridge Specials, and the 1990s 2) tuneomatic/stop and 3) Wilkinson bridge versions? Talking me out of a Hamer is fine too – just be honest please! Thanks in advance for your views.

It is hard to beat a korina artist, either P-90 or hum bucker.  If you are patient, you can snag one for around, or just over a grand.  I can't imagine a better deal, or a better guitar.  I have one of each, and they are just fantastic.  Good luck (and hang onto your wallet, or just surrender).   

14 hours ago, keef said:

10 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

I had one like that.  Quite the looker.   Enjoy!

I had THAT one. In fact it was for sale here on this forum for almost 2 months.
That Reverb ad is from the guy who bough it from me only a couple of weeks ago, and the sale price listed in the ad is only about $50 more than he paid.

A little confused here...

30 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I had THAT one. In fact it was for sale here on this forum for almost 2 months.
That Reverb ad is from the guy who bough it from me only a couple of weeks ago, and the sale price listed in the ad is only about $50 more than he paid.

A little confused here...

Maybe the neck was off by a few mm.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, 0054 said:

The only knock on Hamers for me, and it's subjective... the pickup selections for P90s SUCK for the most part... Always too hot...

I don't care for the overwound SP90-2/3s either, and I probably wouldn't have voluntarily given Duncan P90s a chance in anything else as a result.  Last year, however, I picked up a '66 SG Jr. on the cheap with a disclosed SD pickup.  Almost ordered a replacement before it even arrived! :D 

Well... it turned out to be an SP90-1B, and it sounds mighty fine in that guitar.  Now THATS the SD Hamer shoulda rolled with (IMO).

On 19.4.2018 at 11:24 PM, keef said:

Congrats! Show us pics when it’s arrived.

7 hours ago, gorch said:

Congrats! Show us pics when it’s arrived.

There is a large assortment in the Reverb ad quoted above.  

The seller did a much better job in that regard that I did.  

29 minutes ago, kizanski said:

There is a large assortment in the Reverb ad quoted above.  

The seller did a much better job in that regard that I did.  

Then I understand the $50 upcharge.

Archived